Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, dumb newbie question here...

I shot a lot as teenager, 15 years ago. Never competed, but really liked target archery and did a little bowhunting. Got busy with in life and I'm now looking at getting back into and be involved in archery again. I really enjoyed target shooting and I'm looking to upgrade my late 80's Hoyt RamHunter for something "slightly" newer. Also looking to join a club near my home where I can shoot on a regular basis.

I'd like to stay with Hoyt or Reflex. I'm open to using a release. I'd like something that is more accurate than powerful. I guess the technology has changed so much I don't know where to begin. I'm on a budget and that is a factor to be aware of too. I've casually looked at the following:

Reflex—
Growler
Bighorn

Mainly beacuse they are in my price range.

Does anyone shoot these bows mostly for target and how do they like them?

Is there a hoyt bow similar in price range to these?

Why is a target painted bow cost 100 bucks more that a cammo version? I'm not hunting and don't want the camo.

Is there any advice you seasoned archers might have for a guy who is just getting back into this?

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I shoot a Reflex Buckskin, which is pretty much an earlier version of the Bighorn, from the looks of them. I love it, and dollar for dollar, it's a fantastic value. The shorter ATA makes it far better suited to hunting than target archery, but I use mine for our club league and it performs respectably. Primarily, it is my hunting bow. If you are more serious about competition, it's not the best choice.

I'm guessing that camo is cheaper than target colors simply because of demand...they sell a boat load of camo and a few target colors.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
You might wanna look for a Hoyt Ultratec. You could get a used one on here or Ebay for a fairly decent price. They made them in target colors and camo so you'd have two options. If you do a search on here many people have said the Ultratec is one best bows ever made. I think Hoyt made them for like almost 7 years and really didnt change a whole lot on them. Thats the bow I'd be looking for if I was on a budget and wanted a target bow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. I've been watching ebay, jsut to get a feel for what used bows are selling for. I've noticed a few Ultratec come up for sale. I'll keep my eye out for them. How well would/do you trust buying a used bow?

There is a chance I'll get a whim and hunt with the bow (my brother is a big bowhunter) but mostly, I will shoot target. I don't love the camo look and would love to have something in black...I know it's crazy and purely asthetic. It's the curse of being a graphic designer by trade.

I appreciate the help your all giving me, this is some good info.

dwagoner—I LOVE your quote about the troops!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hoyt???

Hey if you are looking for a great bow for not alot of cabbage I have a Hoyt Trykon xl which would great for both hunting or target. PM me if you are interested I too am here in Utah.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bow seller!!

I will provide anything anyone wants, pics whatever. If the person is in my state I will even try to meet up with them to let them shoot it! Contact me if interested.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Classifieds.........

Never posted there before just been trying to sell it myself. I signed PSE prostaff and I don't understand why I can't shoot a Hoyt?lol:wink:

·
Registered
215 Posts
First things ..First......Welcome to archery Talk.....I have 07" Reflex Growler and love it, its a great bow for the money. I paid $450 bucks for the bare bow. Plus a few hundred on top of that for arrows, sight, rest, release, case, etc, etc
Hoyt owns Reflex they put a lot into there products, go to the shop and look at them you will be happy

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I love the new Hoyt Katera/Katera XL, but if you are on a budget I would look at the new Reflex Charger. Looks like a great bow with a lot of the features of the newer Hoyts.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Off the two Reflex bows that you listed I would say get the new Growler. But the classifieds will get you "higher end" bow for a good deal. Just no warranty. If you can check out the Reflex Charger. It should be a great bow.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a 07 growler it's a great bow I love it ,but they are a few more bows on the market that may be in your price range.Martin,ross,and mission are worth looking at.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
If you are looking for target with maybe hunting at a later time,
look in the classifieds for a late model ultra tec. The TOP all around bow, and pretty darned good for targets. Might be one of Hoyt's finest products.
3d, spots, hunting, just can't beat these bows.

Ted

1 - 14 of 14 Posts