Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this forum specializes in finger shooting compounds.So I thought this might be the best place to ask.I'm currently a recurve shooter and love it.But if I ever did decide to play with compounds again.What would be a good model for finger shooting.I know its usally desired to have a longer axle to axle length,say over 40''.And less in the let off department,say 50 to 60%.I have'nt looked at compounds in a long time,but was poking around the Hoyt site.I noticed the Montega was 44.25'',and the VantageX8 and Vantage X7 are 41''.The axle to axle length looks good.But what are the let off on these bows?Will these bows make good finger bows?Are there any other bows that would be recommended for finger shooting?Name brand,models,pics and/or websites would be greatly appreciated.Thanks tradrick

·
Cato
4,091 Posts
I am a long time recurve shooter, converted to bare bow compound due to shoulder issues. It is a blast. You should try it. The let off is a wonderful help in the woods. The increased performance is addictive. Your effective range in the woods will jump. And the new bows are amazingly quiet and shock free.

I am not that familiar with the Hoyts. Generally, the longer bows also have a tad more vibration and noise, at least in my experience. I'm talking over 45" ATA. Somebody out here will be able to educate both of us on the Hoyts and the pros and cons.

Give it a try. You'll like it.

Cato

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes and I would like it to be known I'm not strictly inquireing about Hoyt's.But any compounds that would be choices.I've heard the name Barnsdale a good bit.Are they good for fingers?Do they have a website?Thanks tradrick

·
Cato
4,091 Posts
Others will chime in. Here is what I sort of gather from my experiences of the last few years with compounds.

You have some sort of "old school" guys. Not necessarily old guys, but old school guys. They generally shoot long ATA bows, with very soft cams, and a distinct valley. They much prefer the low let off bows. And they really know their stuff.

Then there are others who find the shorter bows (40" ATA range) and hard cams (faster with definite pull to the wall type thing) who may shoot less let off and less finger hook on the string. Some of them also shoot quiet well.

Then I think you have every thing else in between. So what you have to do is experiment to find out what you like, and shoot the best. The very best thing you could do is find a local guy who shoots compounds fingers, and get his hands on help for a jump start. Unfortunately, for me, that was not an option. Otherwise, you buy something used and just take the plunge.

The adds on this forum have lots of good fingers bows from time to time, for reasonable prices. That is a good place to begin. If you are unsure about a particular bow, ask about it out here before you buy it, and you'll get some feedback that will be worth while.

Barnsdale makes a fine fingers bow of the "old school" design, as I understand it. I would not start off by spending that kind of money until I knew for sure that was what suited me.

The Constitution is a popular choice. So are several of the Hoyts. You might do a search on this forum for fingers bows, and find some reading.

Gotta go for now. HOpe this helps.

Cato

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well I guess I fall into the oldschool category. I prefer bows with ata's of 42 or greater. I like the round wheels 65% letoff and a generous brace ht.

As far as bow recomendations. Mathews Apex, reflex caribou, hoytmontega , Bowtech constitution, Mathews c4. Plus there are plenty of great deals on older bows here on At.

Best thing to do is shoot as many as you can to find one that feels right

Stratton

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I'll add to that list bows that I have personally shot, or owned...Martin Cougar 3's, with 17" Elite limbs, and Martin Scepters with Elite limbs,Martin Razer's, all with Fury cams...Mathews Conquests, and Ovations...Hoyt's older models like the Aspen, and Oasis, and the newer bows like the ProTecs, and UltraTec, with XT-3000, or the longer XT3500 limbs, as well as the ProElites, and UltraElites, with the same limbs...The new Vantage X7, and X8 are great shooting bows, the PSE Sharks from a couple years back, and the PSE Mojo's with the longer limbs are nice..I had an older High Country that was about 40" A-T-A, that shot great, and the Onieda bows all pull smoothly, and shoot well with fingers...All of the bows that I listed can be had with 65% let-off, and shoot well that way..If Your drawlength isnt really long, dont count out the paralell limb bows, like the Trykon XL, Vectrix XL, and the new Katera XL from Hoyt...Bowtech make a few bows that shoot great with fingers, but I have only shot a couple of them, the Pro 40, and the Constitution, both were good shooting bows...As for the long a-t-a, and high brace height bows being what "YOU" want/need, that depends on You, and what You want to do with the bow...for serious Spot shooting, I's stick to at least 40+" of A-T-A, and around 8" of brace height...At My draw length, for a strictly "Hunting" bow, I'd have no problems shooting a 33" PSE X-Force, or a 33" Katera...Since my favourite archery game is 3-D, I've settled into 36" to 38" bows, with around 7" of brace height..My draw length is about 28 1/2", and I prefer about 65% let-off....For 3-D, I shoot 60#, and light arrows...for hunting, the same draw weight, and arrows about 50 to 100 grains heavier...Shoot every bow that You can get You hands on, then decide what suits "YOU" the best, and dont believe the old standards/hype...Todays bows do not need 45" A-T-A's, and 9" brace heights to shoot well...Good Luck in You search......Harperman

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks alot guys.This gives me a good starting point.tradrick

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had my new Hoyt Vantage X7 for a couple of weeks now and It's a great finger shooter. The let-off is 75% on it and even having set to 70# it still feels good to shoot. It's very quiet and draws very smooth.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Bowtech

Hey guys what the Pro 40 from bowtech, man is it a shooter. They are an older bow,2003-04, but they are on here in the AT classifieds , at a resonable price:wink:
Connstitution also is a great bow, JP

·
Cato
4,091 Posts
One of my issues has been smoothness of draw cycle, for two reasons. Firstly, my shoulders have been giving me some problems, and I've found that the very smooth draw cycle is much easier on them. Secondly, the more aggressive cams with more of a "hard" break over, are much more difficult for me to let down when I don't shoot, without losing control of the shaft. Since I am primarily a hunter/archer, I want a bow I can draw, but easily let back down in the event the shot does not present itself, without having the arrow bounce off the rest. The smoother draw cycles are easier for me in that regard. You young bucks probably don't have that problem.

The Constitution was a fine bow for me, except for the break over issue. I loved the feel, it shot well, was quiet, and spunky. But I could not let off a shot without issues.

Again, much of this you just have to work through to find out what suits you best.

Cato

·
Banned
585 Posts
If you want to stick with a compound that draws as smooth as a recurve, you may also want to consider a Monster Dragon (www.monsterbows.com/forums). They are due to be released very soon and will be the smoothest shooting bow out there. I personally have an Oneida Aeroforce and love it, but, someday will have a Dragon for it's ease of use. You also can't go wrong with a Hoyt Protec, Ultratec, ProElite, Ultraelite, or Montega with XT3000 to XT4000 limbs.

Good luck!

·
Ogredude43
1,860 Posts
Dazed and amazed, LOL!

I am somewhat surprised that no one aske if you shoot three fingers under , split, draw three and drop one. That has as much to do with bow requirements and axle to axle lengths due to string pinch as most anything else I have seen.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
OK, It's time to chime in here. Before you spend a dime on anything, PLEASE take the time to look at the Barnsdale. Deflex riser, long ATA, wheels and not cams. Choice of let off just by changing modules on the wheels.. Nine inch brace height. (mine is 9 3/8") If you are a target shooter, there is absolutely not another bow on the market that can compete with it for a finger shooter now that the Protec isn't being made anymore. (although I've heard you can possibly still get a new one by special order). And they aren't a bit hard to look at... The best thing is that it is made exactly like you want it. You actually get to talk to the guy that is making it for you and that is an absolute plus. Dave Barnsdale is a class act and makes arguably the best limbs in the world... I know I've never shot anything like it....

Barnsdalearchery.com

·
Registered
479 Posts
hoyt

I shoot Hoyts Protec. i have two with xt2000 limbs for hunting and one for 3D. For target i use one with xt3000 limbs to get longer ATA and brace hight.
i use two fingers under and do get some pinch with the xt2000 limbs that have the shorter ATA. getting 289 fps with a 27 1/2 draw.

have fun

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I shoot two Hoyts, one Ultratec for hunting with xt2000 limbs and C2 cams with 65% let off. The other is a UltraElite for 3d's/target with XT3000 limbs and C2 cams with 65% let off. I pull with three finger and drop the top before full draw. Both bows are set at 28 1/2" draw and 56 pounds draw weight. They are shooting around 280 to 290fps. I am looking at the new parallel limb bows but haven't set sights on any one model yet. I really like the smoother draw/let down and solid wall feel. I think its all about how the bow feels and holds on target. Can you draw it on a really cold day and hold it all day long. L.O.L. Try as many as you can and buy what works for you.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I shoot two Hoyts, one Ultratec for hunting with xt2000 limbs and C2 cams with 65% let off. The other is a UltraElite for 3d's/target with XT3000 limbs and C2 cams with 65% let off. I pull with three finger and drop the top before full draw. Both bows are set at 28 1/2" draw and 56 pounds draw weight. They are shooting around 280 to 290fps. I am looking at the new parallel limb bows but haven't set sights on any one model yet. I really like the smoother draw/let down and solid wall feel. I think its all about how the bow feels and holds on target. Can you draw it on a really cold day and hold it all day long. L.O.L. Try as many as you can and buy what works for you.
get what works for you.....agree 100%

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hoyt Provantage

For an old school finger bow, this is the one I would get. There is one currently listed on flea-bay right now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts