Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i am shooting at long distances say like 40 plus yards my .029 pins seem like they are taking up the whole target or vitals? Was thinking about mybe getting or buying sight with smaller pin diameter..What do you guys and gals think? Thanks in advance for the info.:tongue:

·
Registered
993 Posts
I use the .019 pins for hunting, and I really like them. I believe that I am more accurate with them. Easier to get that little dot in the vitals at longer distances. 40 yards would be pushing it for me though. I like 20 and in, but 30 would be my max. Mostly because I have not practiced that far and also because of the terrain that I hunt.

Get some...you will like them!!!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I use a 29 for the frist pin set at 20 yards and 19 for the rest. After 20 yards the 19 are better you can see your target. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
kraiza said:
I use a 29 for the frist pin set at 20 yards and 19 for the rest. After 20 yards the 19 are better you can see your target. :darkbeer:
Ditto! Works good for me:)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
axman said:
When i am shooting at long distances say like 40 plus yards my .029 pins seem like they are taking up the whole target or vitals? Was thinking about mybe getting or buying sight with smaller pin diameter..What do you guys and gals think? Thanks in advance for the info.:tongue:
I shoot 3D, Field, and some indoor. I'm almost to the point of using the same set up and gear for everything--except using cigar fat arrows for indoor. But I'm not in any of it competitively. Once I get used to a sight picture, I can adapt it anywhere. I've used both 019 and 029 and have shot deer with both out to 40 yards. It's all perception . In my opinion, for hunting, bigger and brighter is always a good thing. Especially with the bigger peeps 1/4".

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Upperco Dave said:
I shoot 3D, Field, and some indoor. I'm almost to the point of using the same set up and gear for everything--except using cigar fat arrows for indoor. But I'm not in any of it competitively. Once I get used to a sight picture, I can adapt it anywhere. I've used both 019 and 029 and have shot deer with both out to 40 yards. It's all perception . In my opinion, for hunting, bigger and brighter is always a good thing. Especially with the bigger peeps 1/4".
I just noticed a few people saying they use 029 at 20 yds and 019 for pins farther out. Sounds like a good idea! I'll have to try it after this season. I guess an old dog can learn new tricks!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
gmherps said:
It's all personal preference
yep yep.............

i personally like .019's ..............................

try different sizes out and see what works best for you.

good luck and good hunting.

camoham

·
Registered
472 Posts
Pin size

Axman I have a set of sights That had .29 pins they were way to big so I went to the local archery shop and Bought a set of sights, that had .19 pins This made a big differance. I can now see The black dots on The targets I am shooting at. I have not had a chance to hunt with the bow yet But I am sure It will help. I have also added a pin for 45 yards That is of a .06 dia This pin, Is easy To see and I can focus on a 4" Target at 50 yards with no problem, Other than holding The bow steady.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks i think i am going to get me some lol!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
28,624 Posts

When you get to be an old duffer, larger pins are a visual aid.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've used 0.040s and they were plenty small enough for hunting. Even @ 60 yards, I don't see a need for anything smaller than 0.029" unless you're hunting squirrels. I have a 0.019", but I prefer the 0.029 better. It is, of course, personal preference.

·
HillsideCustomSlings, LLC
13,460 Posts
19... At low light, with the fiberoptic pin the 29's take up way to much of the deer, they over power your peep sight and you cant see your target....19's all the way!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I too use a 029 for my first pin with 019 the rest. MOST of my shots are close so that big pin looking at me is hard to miss. But yet I can still see my targets farther out

·
Registered
470 Posts
.019.......I guy can see the target much easier..

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
If you have good eyesight, you'd be foolish not to take a look at the new .010 Viper sight!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Personally, I really like the .019" pins on my Spot Hogg Hogg-It......the smaller aim-point helps me focus on pin-point shot-placement......:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts