Votes: 48 82.8%
  • powder coat cams and limb pockets

Votes: 10 17.2%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
simple poll which is better to be done for limb joints and cams? reasoning also would be nice thanks

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I own a small coatings business. DO NOT powdercoat cams or limb pockets. Powder is not designed for a part that experiences friction. Anodizing has a very thin build. Ceramic coating is Ok too.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
I own a small coatings business. DO NOT powdercoat cams or limb pockets. Powder is not designed for a part that experiences friction. Anodizing has a very thin build. Ceramic coating is Ok too.
Is it better to powder coat a riser or anodize it?????

Can you give pro's/con's???

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
anodizing will be tougher

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Can magnesium be anodized or only aluminum ?

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Anodized is considerable tougher...

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Cams should NOT be powder coated or film dipped. Anodizing is great for cams.
I have to disagree, I have had 2 bows with cams Powdercoated and they are still going strong after yr's of shooting.

·
WapitiBob
6,935 Posts
I wouldn't powder coat the cams or pockets as the buildup will/may be a problem. It's not always the case but the string/cable grooves could get built up too much.

A good powder coat job on the riser will be more durable than anodizing. The anodizing will wear off in the grip area where the powder coating will not.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I've powdercoated well over 100 sets of cams/pockets for pretty much all bows, including Hoyt, which has the tightest tolerances, and have had no clearance issues. Of course, when I do a set of pockets/cams, I always check for a good fit and finish before returning the parts. Powdercoat also hides surface flaws better, such as tooling marks, and is available in 100,000's of color combinations. Unless there are some REALLY horrible powdercoaters out there, it should not build up in the string grooves. Actually, due to the Faraday Cage Effect, the powder is actually slightly thinner in the string grooves. Plus, it's less expensive. Bottom line...there is nothing wrong with powdercoating/dipping cams. Not that there is anything wrong with anodizing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts