Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at shooting mechanical broadheads with my crossbow as I have had some difficulty getting my muzzys (3 head 100 gr. ) to group. I think I know how to solve the problem, but I want to check out mechanicals too. Any help would be appreciated. I have heard that some don't always open at certain angles. Also some have blades that tend to break off.

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
I've shot Rockets. The Steelhead and the Slammerhead. Double rubber band them. Others have had good results with Spitfires. I prefer to try to use 1 head that will shoot through the mesh in blinds and up trees. The Spitfires are no good for blinds.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The first mechanical I tried was a Wap JakHammer. They shoot well, and the blades are tough. Double-band from a crossbow, though!
I think my 2nd choice might be Spitfires, but I have never shot them yet. They look like they should work, and a lot of crossbow shooters use them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
mechanical broadheads

I am shooting spitfires and love them. On opening day last year I put one through two deer and dropped both within ten yards of the hit at a range of 20 yards. I took another a couple of weeks later at 20 yards. He dropped after only 50 yards. I get great groups with Spitfires. I switched from the Muzzy 100 grain3-blade because of grouping problems. I shoot a Ten-Point Titan TL-4.

Gene Baer

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
Jackhammers and grim reapers

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rage broadheads??

Has anyone tried these Rage broads in a crossbow. I'm thinking of going to them, but I know that o-rings tend to break when using a crossbow bolt

·
Registered
8 Posts
mech broadheads.

I use spitfires 100's. I dropped a 120 class 8 point last evening at 25 yards at the exact spot I was aiming and never practiced with the broadheads just field points. The arrow went through and buried up to the nock in the ground. The buck just buckled, stood and fell 20 yards away. I shoot a TenPoint Pro Elite.

Can't beat that. I am gonna try the first cuts though. I heard they have a better cut with better blood trail.

Good luck.
Tom

·
Hunt By Faith Not By Site
5,354 Posts
Why is it neceesary to double up on the bands? My wife also shoots a Ten Point Titan II but she used Gold Tip Gladiators but now we were going to use Wasp Jak-Hammers.

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
Chance said:
Why is it neceesary to double up on the bands? My wife also shoots a Ten Point Titan II but she used Gold Tip Gladiators but now we were going to use Wasp Jak-Hammers.
Fear of opening up while still on the rail or before entry in the animal. Or blind hunting and shooting through mesh. Rubber bands are real cheap too.:) What foam I've shot they opened up on entry just like a single band does.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Chance said:
It really depends on the crossbow poundage & velocity. I've shot JakHammers from an Excalibur Vixen (150# - 270± fps) with no problems at all with only a single O-ring. Then I tried them from an Exocet (175# - 300± fps and they would sometimes open when shot. A crossbow launches arrows so abruptly that the blades can fly open, and when that happens accuracy is gone. Double bands are just insurance that the blades stay closed in flight. I would recommend on any crossbow testing the broadheads carefully before hunting with them. If you're not getting field point accuracy put a piece of paper in front of the target and see if the blades are open when they hit it.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rage broadheads

I have decided to go with the new RAGE broadheads. Everything I have heard about them have been positive. The o-ring on the doesn't hold the blades in , but it acts as a shock absorber in the rear of the blade. Also, they can be purchased in any hardware stoe as they are a common size. Also since they open to they rear unlike the other mechanicals the blades are oprn like a fixed broadhead on entry. Thus no loss of Kinetic energy and a large entry wound.

·
Hunt By Faith Not By Site
5,354 Posts
Ok Thanks Guys. I believe the TenPoint Titan II is 175lbs but not real sure but to be on the safe side we will put an extra rubberband on.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i shot the rocket steelheads when i was a compound shooter. i have so far in my first year meaning last season shot both fixed blade heads and this year i am going to shoot both the crimson talon cuda and mamba's and check them out. the cuds is a 1.75" cutting diameter and the mamba is a 1.25" cutting diameter. the cuda is a heavier band and the mamba is a mechanical that doesn't need the O=rings.
there are many out there and the rockets have always been good to me but i have wanted tot ry something new and this is my choice for this year and maybe next depending on the outcome. the mamba i think is going to be a sleeper for the gang at crimson talon
rob k

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I only have experience with Jackhammers. I had some penetration issues shooting an older Horton Hunter Supreme SL. My only advice would be to go with a mechanical with a more conventional cutting diameter.

·
Stryker Solution 390
580 Posts
You sound like you wanted to shoot a fixed and couldn’t get them to fly how you wanted. I’ve been there before and went to Ramcats 125 grain 1 1/2” 3 blade. They shoot as good if not better then a mechanical IMO. You definitely won’t have trouble grouping out at long distances with these. They also penetrate deep and leave a nasty hole. I guess you would call them a hybrid. Check them out. Good Luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts