Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the problem with Rockets not threading in like they should,I am looking at different heads..
I have been looking at Wasp and Spitfires,although they open slower than some,I think they would be fine.
Anyone have experience with either that could help me out I'd appreciate it....Pro's and con's....thanks..
Or any other head that stands out,I'd like to hear about them as well.....:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Treejumper...

I've killed two-deer with jak-hammers one was a 100gr. and the other was a 75gr. I was very pleased with both, good penetration
and durable, great bloodtrails. Good heads will blow thru shoulder bones too!

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Shockwaves by NAP work well, I would suppose the scorpion would also but haven't tried it yet...

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
One Model

Isn't it just the Steelheads that have the problem?

Everyone I hunt with shoots the Rocket Sidewinders and love them. Don't put off the whole product line because of problems with 1 head.

Bo

·
Banned
17,974 Posts
TreeJumper-

First let me admit my bias toward Rocky Mountain Broadheads (Barrie Archery), but with that confession out of the way, I strongly recommend the Snyper or the Revolution. Both of these mechanicals utilize a backward opening motion for deployment which IMO offers excellent penetration and entrance/exit wounds while simultaneously reducing the liklihood of the dreaded "cartwheeling" that some say they have experienced with conventional expandables.

I am not one to necessarily think that there is one "perfect" broadhead suitable for every person, but I think the Rocky Mountain line is worth a look.

Good luck in your search.

-----
Indychris

·
Registered
133 Posts
Several hunters around here, me included, have had excellant luck with the 100 gr Grim Reaper. We've taken quite a few animals with excellant results. (hogs, bear, deer)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Wasps

What would you guys say is the least amount of KE needed to get the 100 grain JakHammers to open well and pass thru a deer??

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I've got about 60 KE and my wasps have been very deadly on the last 4 I took. I use the 75 grain so can't answer about the 100's. Don't need a whole lot of KE if your just after the mighty whitetail.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: One Model

Bo Hunter said:
Isn't it just the Steelheads that have the problem?

Everyone I hunt with shoots the Rocket Sidewinders and love them. Don't put off the whole product line because of problems with 1 head.

Bo
Your right,I thought of sidewinders too but hated to buy some then find out the hard way.I guess if they don't thread in fine I can send them back.....

·
Registered
488 Posts
I used spitfire, but this year tring NAP new Scorpion XP

HI for the last couple years i have been using the NAP spitfires 100GR and i didn't have a Deer go over 100 yards most of them only went 30 to 50 yd and left great blood trail that even a first year hunter could find the Deer. Well this year i looked at 5 shot's test on them and then saw that NAP came out with a new head called Scorpion XP 100GR so i got a pack and sent them to 5 shot so he could do his test on them and they tested better then the spitfire so i am going to try the Scorpion XP out this year:D check them out before you get anything, check out 5 shot's test on them you might want to try them out yourself:confused: I seen a posting from pureluck on here and he said he used the NAP Scorpion XP on a deer and liked how they worked and left a great blood trail and a nice size hole on both side's of the deer.

Eugene

·
Registered
34,167 Posts
Treejumper

You know you can buy inserts for 3-60 ACC's and they will work in your gold tips and they will work with your Rockets. Have you tried using an adapter ring?

By the way I have been using Spitfires for 7 years and I love them. I can usually put my fist through the exit hole. The last deer I shoot I could follow the blood trail from my tree stand with my binos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
try the sidewinder from rocket line up i have had no problem with them.they have a longer tip to ruduce kick out.

·
Registered
445 Posts
What speed?
I've had good luck with JakHammers, but when I tried them in a 290 fps bow they opened in flight. I'm not so sure double banding is a great idea, so I'll reserve them for my bows under 260 fps. where I know they fly great & open fine.

·
Registered
34,167 Posts
The Vortex do make huge holes I remembeer shooting deer with them when they forst came out. I wouldn't shoot low poundage or any thing large (deer over 150lbs with them). But the hole do look like you hit them with an axe.

·
Registered
441 Posts
treejumper ,check your PM's

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
so far the rockets are working but i am interested in the hornets that are coming out also
rob k

1 - 20 of 48 Posts