Archery Talk Forum banner

Next bow for my 6-yr old son?

• Diamond Nuclear Ice

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Mission Menace

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Other...any suggestions

Votes: 13 36.1%

Which of the following for a 6 year old?

1750 Views 31 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Dale_B1
My son turns 6-yrs old this Oct. He is currently is shooting a Bear Bravery, but has very quickly outgrown it.
Which bow next:
  • Diamond Nuclear Ice
  • Mission Menace
  • Other?
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
Nuclear Ice.

The Mission bow is nice, but I don't see too many 6 year old kids that are able to hold 3.5 pounds of mass weight. That's trying to have your kid hold 14 sticks of butter in a bag with his arms out.

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nuclear Ice.

The Mission bow is nice, but I don't see too many 6 year old kids that are able to hold 3.5 pounds of mass weight. That's trying to have your kid hold 14 sticks of butter in a bag with his arms out.
That is my main concern with the Menace, but I feel he will outgrow the Ice as fast as he did the Bear Bravery. You sure its 14 sticks of butter and not 16 sticks?

· Registered
5,551 Posts
You will get much better performance out of the Nuclear Ice. It is a very small bow but it packs a punch. At the shop we are gettin right under 190 fps. with the arrows that come with it. This is at 24"/29#. The bow will perform at shorter draw lenghts better simply because of the way it is designed. The geometry of the limbs allows them to pack more punch, instead of just flingin' the arrow a couple dozen feet.

· Registered
72 Posts
I have found that the Genisis works best with my six year old. He got the bow when he was five and I am slowling adding things to it as he grows and is able to shoot better. Now he is up to a better rest and sights. Release and peep sight will be next. They need to be comftorable and be able to hold the bow without struggling as they learn proper anchor point. He will not be up to 40 pounds to hunt for a few years yet, so why not let them shoot an easy bow to perfect their draw, anchor and release?

· All in the Reflexes
3,191 Posts
Here is another other to consider....a bow that will grow with the kid and 30 to 40lb limbs are available down the line.

Athens Protege

Features:
True dual cam with rotating mods
Sick string system
Rear pivot limb pockets
CNC machined shelf guard
Solid wall
Sealed Cam bearings
“Not just another kid bow the Protégé
is the new standard in kid bows”.

IBO Rating: 230+ fps
(@26” DL and 29lbs DW)
Axle-to-Axle: 25”
Brace Height: 6”
Draw Weight: 5-29 lbs

Letoff: 65%-80%
(adjustable)
Weight: 2.9lbs
Draw Lengths: 11 3/4”-26 1/4”
half inch increments
(with rotating draw module)

Standard Color options:
Black riser / Vista Camo limbs: Boys
Pink riser / Pink Vista Camo limbs: Girls

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is another other to consider....a bow that will grow with the kid and 30 to 40lb limbs are available down the line.

Athens Protege
Interesting bow. First time I have heard of it. Went and checked it out. Only concern is it is 2.9 lbs. On the heavier side for him. Might be his next bow.
Do you have an idea of retail $? Thanks.

· Registered
1,321 Posts

· Marty in Badgerland
5,315 Posts
Nuclear Ice is a better choice for a shooter that young. As others have said the Menace may be a bit heave for him. Both are great bows IMHO. One of my daughters shoots a menace. Got it for her when she was 10. She's now 12 and has grown quite a bit. I don't think she would have been able to hold it steady when she was 6 though.

I have had several kids go through my classes with the nuclear ice. I am impressed with how compact that little bow is, and with the quality of the build.

· Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
I would vote for the bear apprentice also.20-50 pounds and 15-27 inch draw.Im getting ready to get one for my daughter.
Hm. 20 # draw weight for a 6 year old?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.