Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new crossbow owner(actualy I wont have it til next week). I am wondering which target is the best?

1-McKenzie Crossbow Shot Blocker Foam Archery Target
2-Morrell Yellow Jacket Crossbow Field Point Bag
3-American Whitetail® Crossbow King Target
4-Morrell Yellow Jacket Crossbow Broadhead Target
5-Horton Crossbow Hunter Target, 16"x16"x12".
6-SpyderWeb Targets

Anybody have any recommendations? Are there any others that I didnt list that would be worth a try?

Let me know, thanx, Isaac

· Registered
2,086 Posts
Agree with the SpyderWeb but don't have experience with longevity. I like the Yellow Jacket bag for field points, but most brand bags work well. Bigger the better in my opinion. I like to shoot more than a few arrows before going to collect them, and you don't want to aim at the same spot twice. Plus you don't end up punishing only one part of the target. I have a big bag, that I have re-stuffed and re-covered a couple of times now.

· Registered
893 Posts
Targets

From what I have seen,the SpyderWeb is very good,but not to be used with Broadheads.

· Vendor
5,699 Posts
Correct...the Spyderweb cant be used with broadheads (well, it can, but it makes a BIG mess :) ) on the flipside most broadhead targets that can handle the faster crossbows are a bear to pull out field points from. I have a 30X30 Spyderweb in my shop and I laser sight in all the bows I assemble and so far it has perfromed flawlessly even with the SF's at 8 yards...:) Though I use a Rinehart 18-1 for broadheads. As a comment that I generaly tell my customers is to invest in a good field point target then go in with a buddy for a broadhead target. generaly you only need to shoot your broadheads a few times to confirm impact is the same as the field points (or atleast they should be) then you spend the rest of the time with your field point target. If you take 20 shots on a BH target then are all set with impact points, toss it to your buddy and so on down the line. Saves a few bucks in the process
Wyvern

· Registered
4,249 Posts
4-Morrell Yellow Jacket Crossbow Broadhead Target

Your number 4 choice is what I use for broadheads. Stops them dead. Of course, my Titan TL-7 only puts out 280 fps ... not like some of the hotter bows.

AND, like David said earlier in this thread, getting the bolt out of the braodhead target is a real pain. So far I haven't ripped any vanes off doing it.

BUT, I shoot field points into my bag target and use the broadhead target sparingly and only to confirm that my broadheads fly the same as my field points. Saves the broadhead target and saves a lot of pulling. Plus, saves sharpening after, as I use a fixed blade broadhead (I have only used mechanicals on targets and don't trust them for hunting yet -- maybe I will try some mechanicals this year -- probably NAP Shockwaves).

· Registered
734 Posts
I use the American Whitetail Crossbow King target for my broadheads. It works well for me and I have had it for a couple of years now but I don't shoot a ton of broadheads. I use it for any final tuning before the season. Arrows can be difficult to remove and I would recommend an arrow puller. For the cost I think that it is a good choice but keep in mind that it is a broadhead target only. Do not shoot it with an arrow that is tipped with a field point. You will have a hell to pay getting that arrow out.

Bob

· Vendor
5,699 Posts
Can you use the rage practice point in the spyderweb?

I would think that it would not be a good idea myself as the way it works is that the fibers spread apart and any of the mechanical practice points still protrude past the edge of the point so there is a "cutting edge" on the tip and that may damage the fibers. I would call the manufacture before I shot up an expensive target :)

Wyvern

· Vendor
5,699 Posts
I talked to Spyderweb thismorning...field points only, the practice points have "edges to them" that would tear the fibers and destroy the target...sorry
Wyvern

· Registered
2,086 Posts
I was asked about re-covering and re-stuffing my bag target so I thought I would expound on it a bit and open the floor to sugestions.

I have used the same "Monster Tough Bag" for probably 8 years. And recovered it a few times. There are several ways to make your own bag or target from scratch depending on materials you have available. Compressing layers of cardboard, carpet or newspaper.

Back to Bags:
Delta now makes a 30" bag for $39 Again, the bigger the better in my opinion so you can shoot several spots without risking a complete miss. Although if you saw the back of my gartage, you would see that still happens from time to time.

For the most recent go round, I bought a cover made by RedHead (Bass Pro), I paid ~$20 for it. I used dense foam and nylon window/door screen to repack it.

I know of some guys who have used old t-shirts stuffed into a burlap sack. These seem to stop arrows, but can not take any weather. What are some of the other things guys use to make targets?

· Registered
1,336 Posts
I use a high denisty foam that they pack bbqs in at Lowes
that stuff is wicked,I am saveing it for my hunting buds
no trouble pulling arrows out it is some weird stuff works
for me!

· Registered
4,249 Posts
I use a high denisty foam that they pack bbqs in at Lowes
that stuff is wicked,I am saveing it for my hunting buds
no trouble pulling arrows out it is some weird stuff works
for me!
Anybody know what that stuff is and where to buy it? I am sick of kneeling on my target so I can pull my bolts out.

If we just know the name of it I can probably search the net and find a vendor.

· Incureable tinkerer
4,263 Posts
I use two Morrel crossbow bags for close work and made two bags using nylon mesh feed sacks and plastic bags stuffed really tight. These I set beyond 40 yars to practice with the 350 fps bow. An inexpensive foam broadhead target, ratcheted tight serves to test the impact pint of my broadhheads. Using Slicks I find it unnecessary to practice with braodheads, just a pierce of mind thing..

· Registered
2,086 Posts
I have used the plastic grocery bags in the pasy and find they don't hold up well (at least in my application) and have a tendancy to adhear to the arrows, sometimes pulling pieces out through the hole when extracting arrows.

The conpressed newspaper or cardboard worked better for me, but needs to be covered so that they don't get wet. A pile of rotting cardboard is a mess, the up side is that sow bug guts isn't a bad arrow lubricant... :p

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Well I will tell you the truth here. I did have an issue with myfirst spyderweb target that I got. Things were sticking to it at times and was hard to remove. just some times not all the time, Well one call to the spyderweb guys and talking to them and they said that is NOT normal and they wanted to send me another one right away, and this spyderweb target is perfect and is everthing I have heard about and MORE. I am Extremely pleased with the spyderweb and whole heartedly recommend it to others. It just blows my mind how shooting an arrow at 388 or close to it and it just comes out like a hot knife through butter. Simply amazing.

Also they are a fantastic company to deal with. THEY STAND BEHIND their product 10000%. They said it should be 2 finger removal and it really is. They wanted me to be happy and I am very pleased. They could not be sorry enough and appologized up and down and shipped it out right away. Fantastic customer service just like our very own Wyvern. These two guys are truthful and honest and are truely at the top for customer service. Thanks to both of you for going out of your way for me.

Its the best target I have ever shot. MONEY VERY WELL SPENT.

:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Brian

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.