Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
THWACK!!!!
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a new bow just sold my ross 334 on here I love a short ata bow these are the 3 I will be considering I absolutely love the smooth draw on the ross bows but at my 27.5" draw would like something a bit faster ( I know speed doesn't kill but Would like to be above 260 and would be real happy will be shooting a maxima hunter with a 100 grain tip at 65 lbs I think I should be right around 400 grains( 350's) I haven't had the chance to shoot the tribute I like the switchback but am not real crazy about their grip or the fact their string seems to make a twang sound when shot I know string leeches will solve this problem I need to find a tribute to try out I can get the ross for $550 the xt for $650 and would bet the tribute will be over $700 not real crazy about the ross finish any suggestions out there thanks

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Shoot them all...

Pick the one you are most comfortable shooting. They are all great bows, and you can't go wrong. The Tribute will be fastest. Followed by the XT, then the 331. BUT if you are more comfortable with the XT or Ross...the accuracy will make up for it.

Make sure that you shoot them all with the same arrow speed though. You will have to use a heavier arrow to get the Tribute to slow down to the speed of the Ross, but that is the only fair way to shoot them side by side.

Tom

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Spend whatever it takes and get what you really want. The hundred bucks you save settling for anything less would soon be forgotten.:)

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Maybe shoot each one in front of the big range target with your eyes closed, and with your eyes open. Pick the one you like best.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Try a Bear Instinct and save some money. Or, try a Martin Bengal and save some money. Or, try a Trykon and spend some more money, or just try every one you can and buy the one you like the best.:wink: :darkbeer:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Shoot Them All

When I went to the Archery Shop I told the guys there that I had 4 bows in mind that I would like to consider. There help was tremendous. Without hesitation the guys took all four bows off the wall, set them up to my draw weight and draw length. Grabbed a dozen arrows and went into the indoor range to find out which bow I wanted. I shot all the bows that I had set up and then shot them 2-3 more times, each time eliminating one bow at a time until I had 2 left. That was the hard part for me...because each bow had features that I liked and features I didnt like.....so to solve that problem I shot them again and picked the best one that was right for me. Although the price for these bows were in the $550-$700 range it didnt stop me from trying them out. Price can make some shooters buy something that they LIKE and not LOVE.....if you can spend the money and work with your Archery Shop then I suggest SHOOT THEM ALL! Then buy the one YOU LOVE.

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
Shoot em all if you can, each person is different.
Myself I would take the Tribute or the 331, I have shot a 331 and a Switchback and I prefered the Ross.
The Tribute though, may be my next bow.....IF 2007 does not bring something new (which I think there are gonna be several new lil speedster bows):wink: .

·
roll tide roll!
3,652 Posts
well i wont tell you any is better then the other, cause i dont believe that,i had a ross 31 and loved the thing, smoothest drawing bow available, sold it and got the tribute, cause it was smoking fast, but no smoother or quieter then the ross, i still own one and love it by the way!

·
NC ASA Director
35,987 Posts
I got the XT a couple weeks ago.

I am very happy with it.

You better shoot them all yourself, cause should be something that sets one apart from the other.

I like the roller guard on the XT.

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
I have owned the XT earlier this year and now own a Tribute.
Between the two, I like the Tribute better because it has a more solid back wall and is faster.(not that the speed difference is a big deal to me)
I sold the XT to buy an Apex but is was a real nice bow while I had it.
I would wait to see what Ross has coming out in '07. I hear they have some good ones on the way. I am impressed with their bows so far but would like to shoot one with a more solid back wall. The ones I have drawn back so far felt a little spongy. (IMO).

The best advise is to shoot them all and let your own experience and values make the decision.

Good luck

Rx

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
skinner2 said:
I am in need of a new bow just sold my ross 334 on here I love a short ata bow these are the 3 I will be considering I absolutely love the smooth draw on the ross bows but at my 27.5" draw would like something a bit faster ( I know speed doesn't kill but Would like to be above 260 and would be real happy will be shooting a maxima hunter with a 100 grain tip at 65 lbs I think I should be right around 400 grains( 350's) I haven't had the chance to shoot the tribute I like the switchback but am not real crazy about their grip or the fact their string seems to make a twang sound when shot I know string leeches will solve this problem I need to find a tribute to try out I can get the ross for $550 the xt for $650 and would bet the tribute will be over $700 not real crazy about the ross finish any suggestions out there thanks
It's the little key, two to the left of the right hand shift key.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
It's the little key, two to the left of the right hand shift key.
See rule #6.

Simplified ArcheryTalk Rules: Read these before you post or PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Above all, respect each other. While we realize that discussions may get heated, vulgar language or name calling cannot be tolerated. Masked vulgar language (ie, w*rd, rul*s, etc) is considered vulgar.

2. If a moderator removes your thread or post, contact that moderator by PM to request their reasons, or to explain yourself. Moderators are only human and there may have been a misunderstanding. Threatening a moderator will not be tolerated.

3. Please use the personal message (PM) feature to contact other members about any issue. Do not start a thread or use a post for this kind of contact.

4. Please use good taste in your choice of avatar. Nothing sexual or of a violent nature is tolerated.

5. Please limit your signature block to 5 lines or less. Signatures may not contain links to commercial websites unless the website is owned by a sponsor of ArcheryTalk.com. Links to personal webpages are acceptable.

6. Do not use posts to correct another poster's spelling or grammar - this is rude and unnecessary. If you do not understand what they are saying, ask them to clarify.
7. Do not interrupt a thread 's content direction to bring attention to another agenda or product.

8. Minors are not allowed to post in the classifieds section due to legal restrictions. Parents may post for their minor children and are responsible for all transactions. All traders must have a birthdate in their profile.

9. Remember that use of ALL CAPITAL LETTERS IN A POST is the same as shouting. It is best not to use all capital letters as it is difficult to read and is instrusive to readers.

10. What may not be in a post is as follows: Material that is threatening, harrassing, or abusive to any party. Content that is defamatory, hateful, or in violation of any law is not tolerated. Knowingly posting false or misleading material will result in moderator action.

11. Use the proper forum for your threads. Commercial threads need to be started in the manufacturer's announcement area. Bowhunting stories or hunting info need to be posted in the bowhunting forum, etc. If you are unsure about what to do or where to go, just PM a moderator or an administrator.

12. Spamming is not allowed. Spamming can be defined as using a post to promote a product or agenda. Threads may not be started for the purpose of adding spam material.

13. Asking for money, donations, or to offer giveaways, drawings, or the like is prohibited without administrative permission. We realize there are a lot of good causes and good to come from of them, but insist on verifying their legitimacy as well as benefit to the archery and archerytalk communities.

Moderator actions: A moderator may find that a thread or post has violated a rule and will either edit it or remove it. In some cases, this may be accompanied by a warning to the poster and, in extreme cases, banning of the member and his IP. Banning may be temporary or permanent depending on the offence. Appeals may be made by PM or email to administration and then a final decision will be made.

These rules are site wide. They apply equally to chat, articles, pictures, reviews, and any other section of Archerytalk.com. If your actions warrant banning it is site wide and applies to all accounts coming from your IP address.

This site was created for you and with a little moderator help can be policed by you. Treat each post as if your 10 year old daughter was going to read it. Keep the content clean, honest, and free from sexual inuendo and foul language. Above all, respect others and they will respect you.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Perhaps a recommendation to use punctuation to make a post more readable would be more appropriate, in the interest of soliciting more responses.

·
NC ASA Director
35,987 Posts
I had no problem reading his post. :wink:

But I could correct it for you if you want me to. :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
T-LaBee said:
Pick the one you are most comfortable shooting. They are all great bows, and you can't go wrong. The Tribute will be fastest. Followed by the XT, then the 331. BUT if you are more comfortable with the XT or Ross...the accuracy will make up for it.

Make sure that you shoot them all with the same arrow speed though. You will have to use a heavier arrow to get the Tribute to slow down to the speed of the Ross, but that is the only fair way to shoot them side by side.

Tom
I disagree.

I think the original poster made it clear he intends to shoot his maximas. I say shoot them all with your arrows and then see what combination of grip, speed, smoothness and noise you like best.

Bear in mind that you can change out the grip of the XT if that is the only thing keeping you from the bow.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
sagecreek said:
I had no problem reading his post. :wink:

But I could correct it for you if you want me to. :D
That would be nice. I made it about half way through, and got a headache.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
If you want the all in one bow, go with the tribute, you will for sure hit that 260 mark with that arrow set up and your specs. Probably even with the smooth mods in, so you will have the smooth draw too. If you like the speed mod draw, even better yet. I have had my tribute sence the day it came out and still get excited when i open the case and see it sitting there.

·
NC ASA Director
35,987 Posts
ex-NFO said:
:D

:jeez: :wacko: :boom: :typing: :crazy: :sick: :nono: :boink: :help: :noidea: :confused3:

·
Registered
524 Posts
ex-NFO said:
I really don't understand why you would say such a thing I had no problem at all reading the post or understand what he was saying and what his goals were maybe you should look into a beginners english course since you seem to have trouble with reading his post i think your sacasm is not required in this post

but it's pretty funny :wink: :tongue:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts