Archery Talk Forum banner

Which rangerfinder?

830 16
I am in the market for a new rangefinder, what would you guys recommend.
I would like to get some input from those of you who have experiece with diffferent makes and models.

Thanks in advance fellas!!!!:darkbeer:
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,121 Posts
Unless you are spending a lot of time out west like Elk is you probably don't need a model with angle compensation. I've used 2 Bushnells, a Nikon and the Leupold RX II. I'm using the Bushnell Scout and it works very well. The plain model can be found for pretty good prices on ebay. The RX II has too much information in the viewfinder for a simple minded person like me.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
just in case anyone cares i found nikon buckmasters 600 for sale on ebay for $160 with cheap shipping

· Lift, Run, Shoot
15,066 Posts
Nikon Riflehunter - no question. It is the same as the Archer's Choice but has a much greater range. I really don't understand why anyone would by the Archer's Choice when the two cost almost the same and are identical except for the much longer range of the riflehunter.

I also have a bushnell. Nikon has better optics and a better (larger) reading.

And the Rifle Hunter (or Archer's Choice) give you the angle compensation which can be extremely valuable out west (although I agree for strictly deer hunting out of a stand this feature is rarely needed - but if you are buying a new RF anyways you might as well get this option.

The Leica probably gives you the best optics but then how good do you need the optics to be on a RF? I only need to see well enough to range a target - I'm not using it as a spotting scope! And Leica's are very pricey plus you can't get the angle compensation with Leica. They are still stuck with old technology.

So, for me, the choice was pretty obvious and I've been very happy with it so far.

· Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the input guys!, I have always been a nikon fan so I have ben leanin that way, anyone know much about the Brunton model?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.