Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide which size Hogg-it to purchase. I plan on using it with a lense for 3-D and pins only for hunting. 3-D speed will be 265-285 fps and hunting 235 fps. So which one would the Spott Hog users recommend and why?

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Ron

If you will go to the webb site I think they say 260 fps and above 2 inch housing..... below 260 fps go with the 2 3/8 inch housing. Has to do with the wider pin gap on the slower speed. Hope this helps. WR

http://www.spot-hogg.com/

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
In my experience a 2" housing will center in the peep a little easier. Any larger and you need to go very very large with your peep size.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick response..... looks like the 2 inch and then maybe just 4 pins for the hunting. No doubt.. AT is the place to get good info quickly.........RB

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
spott hogg

Ron,
WR said it right.. if you're going to be down at 235 fps for
hunting you need to go with the 2 3/8 pin guard size.. over
260 fps and you can go down to the 2''.. this is per spot
hogg on their recommendations and they're usually right
on with no bull.. I'd go with what the mfg recommends...

·
Registered
116 Posts
?

I had real problems with my spotthogg with the 2" housing for 3D could not see the pins well,and when I went to a 4X lense the pin gap spreads way out.I had 5 pins and it fills the whole 2" housing. I would go with the 23/8" guard it would be used for hunting at all and even for 3D. Just my opinion. They make a very good sight.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Ron

I'm thinking you're on the right track with the 2". You can drop a pin or two if needed for hunting like you said.
I started with a small peep and drilled it out to where I wanted it. I think I ended up with a 3/16 hole? It does center my housing nice and the big hole helps my old eyes with the light. WR

·
home of Tim's Taxidermy
1,362 Posts
the spot hoggs are great pin sights but adding a lens to it is a big waste of money like the other guy said it spreads your pin gap out so much it makes it hard to get them all in you almost need a pin for every 5 yards i have a 6x for the 2" pin gaurd that will never be used again...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts