Archery Talk Forum banner

Which stand do you prefer?

557 Views 13 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Silage_Man26
I am courious as to which stand you prefer, whether it be a climber, ladder or portable stand. I am more interested in which portable stand you prefer to use. If it is a portable what do you use to get up in it, screw in steps, stick ladder....? Thanks.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5,150 Posts
Portable sure sure. I tried a climber ad just did not like it at all. Some of my buddies love theirs it is just not for me.

· Premium Member
17,591 Posts
I really like my API's. I've used them for probably 20 years+. Lightweight and easy to install, and comfy. They had an issue with squeeks for a few seasons on the new models but none of mine have had issues. I set up a Summit Deer Deck last weekend and it did not seem to be as easy to install but it was probably just because I am not as familiar with the brand. It is plenty comfortable once mounted.

I try to use tree steps and leave them in place if the spot allows it (few if any other hunters). If I am hunting a spot with competition I use a 4 piece climbing stick or removable tree steps.

· Registered
3,609 Posts
I am courious as to which stand you prefer, whether it be a climber, ladder or portable stand. I am more interested in which portable stand you prefer to use. If it is a portable what do you use to get up in it, screw in steps, stick ladder....? Thanks.
I don't like ladder stands......too heavy. I really like ,and use alot, my summit climber. Portable stands I usually buy whatever is on sale. I have a couple of gorilla and loggy bayou. The loggy's are nice because they only weigh 10lbs, but the seat gets wet if you don't cover it. I use tree spikes to get in them.

· Registered
2,616 Posts
I just got a Lone Wolf Alpha and 4 Lone Wolf climbing sticks this year. They rock!!! I could not be happier with quality, portability, etc... If I need something that I am going to move from spot to spot it is the only way to go IMHO. Now if I am going to hang a stand and leave it in one spot all season long then I am going with the Gorilla King Kong Lounger XLS. It weighs as more than my entire Lone Wolf set up by itself but I only have to hang it once. Huge platform, built in footrest, armrest, backrest, and the most comfortable seat cushion made. I have sat in one of these from an hour before sun up to after legal shooting light on several occasions. I would throw away the strap that comes with it and buy 2 walmart, auto parts store, etc....ratchet straps and put one on the top in the provided eyes and another at the base of the platform. This will make it feel like it is part of the tree...super stable! I use a treestand ladder for this set up. Good luck!

· Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking into the lone wolf set, but I don't have to many places i would feel comfortable leaving out. I think that if i am going to hunt a spot that didn't have a tree to climb, that it would be the only time i would use it. other wise I might as well use my climber.

· Registered
560 Posts
I agree that all three styles are useful and have their places. If I had to choose just one style it would be a hang-on. I can put a hang-on on any tree, but with a climber it needs to be limbless or able to be limbed which limits me alot here.
My favorite stand by a long shot is the Millenium. The only one I have found that is truly comfortable, plus it's riduculously easy to hang because you just hang the bracket and then put the stand into the bracket. I buy lot's of extra brackets and can put out lot's of stand locations, but only own two of these stands. I like my other stands, too, but MIlleniums are my favorite.

· Registered
11,771 Posts
I love my climber but mainly for its portability and ease of set up as I hunt public ground and never leave a stand in the woods. Second for me would be a big platform lock on with climbing sticks, I won't touch screw in steps after using the sticks they are way easier and way safer IMHO. '94

· Registered
5,351 Posts
all of them. they all have their place. i have a ladder stand, a climber, and two
hang-ons. so far.
I feel the same way. Got tons of hang ons and a few climbers. I love the sticks they work great! I use lone wolf.

· Registered
654 Posts
I love my climber but mainly for its portability and ease of set up as I hunt public ground and never leave a stand in the woods. Second for me would be a big platform lock on with climbing sticks, I won't touch screw in steps after using the sticks they are way easier and way safer IMHO. '94
+1

If you want portability use a climber. If there are no trees to climb try using a ground blind in that location. A ladder of hang on is best if you can set it up and leave it. Just my .02 worth.

· Registered
276 Posts
imo. I always liked the Gorilla hang on stands. I owned a King Kong. Silverback Scout and a Silverback Magnum XLS. I think they all are very comfortable and the size of the King Kong although its heavy is extremely nice. My favorite has to be the Scout though because its lightweight and very easy to hang.

· Registered
158 Posts
With out a doubt mine is Hang ons, i like Gorilla and the millenum.. I own prob 15 or so gorillas and 2 millenum with 6 other brackets.. Never use a tree spike again, had 2 come out on me in the same year... got a nice 6 inch scar and 26 stitches from one... So i go either with the gorilla sticks or some other ladder stick, and viola`!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.