Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you had to chose one? For an evening hunt

Stand #1) Always, no matter what, produces a few does and at least one buck EVERYTIME. Its a creek crossing with a ridge behind it that both the creek and the ridge run parallel with each other. The deer come from a huge pine thicket and move there way between the creek and the top of the ridge. My stand is located with in range of top of ridge, and within range of creek, with a crossing running perpendicular to both. Problem is the deer MIGHT come from my downwind side. Should i put my sent-lok suit to the test? If the winds out of the west they will definetly be downwind, if the winds out to the north i should be ok.

Past octobers have produced small to 110" deer everytime ive hunted it.
Past novembers have produced all day activity.
This stand is good evening, great morning

Stand #2) Thicket, should be on the downwind side of this stand. This is a river bottom stand at its best. Normally the deer will come from my east in the evening. This will put them downwind also, but i have a feeling one might come out of this thicket (from the west) and pass by me towards a acorn buffet located about 90 yards back. Ive seen numerous pope & young deer from this stand, just nowhere near as much activity as the first.

Past octobers have been hit and miss. Less activity, but bigger deer. One in mid october in the 140's, and one last Nov 2nd in the 160's
This stand is ok morning, good evening

I know understanding all of this based on words is a little difficult but any input would be great. Im just a little curious on what you guys think

PS i do have one other stand sight that most of this book bucks have walked past, but im not going near it until Nov 1st

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Sounds like given the wind conditions...I wouldn't hunt either considering evening thermals.

I'd wait for more favorable wind conditions for one, and if not...hunt it only in the morning or midday when thermals are carrying your scent up.

As good as those stands may be, they would be better if wind was in your favor.

Do you tend to see sightings start to decrease over time in the season? If so, their placement is likely the reason. If not, I guess keep hunting them the way you are as long as you are getting results.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
normally with a dominat NW wind stand #1 is great for in the morning when the come from the northwest. come from east in evening.

stand #2 is pretty much the same way. but produces better evening results than the 1st.

also i would say stand #2 is the one i want to be extra cautious with this year.

Maybe i should use my climber tonight hun??

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Climber is a good option.

Most important element is surprise. Once the deer, especially the mature bucks, know you are in the area...they will either go nocturnal or relocate or both.

I guess it all depends where you hunt, but in my experience, big bucks just won't tolerate any human presence that is not there throughout the year.

Hunt the wind, and get in and out undetected...most important aspects of hunting IMO.

Good luck, let us know how you make out! ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts