Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright guys I am in the market for a stand. Looking at the Goliath, Viper, and Razor. It looks to me the only difference between the viper and the razor is the fold away front bar. I am 6' 210 lbs, would the goliath be more comfortable? Any other pros and cons to any of these let me know. Thanks for you help!

Joe

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
the viper should be just fine for you. The razor's fold away bar is a good concept but I just don't like the fact that it can make noise if you bump it just right while the bar is in the enclosed position because of the little bracket arm that holds it in place. I use a viper and i am 6' 4" and 220lbs, and it is very comfortable to me. Whichever one you choose spend the extra $30 and buy the footrest, you will absolutly love having it on the stand and it is worth every penny. They make those long days in the tree very relaxed.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I have the viper, it is great, but I am 6 1 and 240, think the Goliath would be a little more comfortable seriously, when i sit down in it it is a little tight.

·
Registered
23,628 Posts
I got the Viperlast week - I am 6 foot 2, 250#, and it is perfect!

Plenty of room to move, not too confining. It is sturdy and confortable. In fact - I sat it in in my yard, and the angle of the arm bars is perfect to prop my head up.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz..........

My ONLY complaint.... I wish I had NOT put the Summit Skins on mine. It is a great concept, but they do not stick all that well.... I am a stickler about stickers. I applied them right, and pressed firmly, even used a small block of wood to conform the skins to the stand and press all surfaces evenly....

Yeah....the next day, alsmost all of the peices have some degree of peeling off.

I thought about just taking them off - but they did stickk well in areas, and if I pulled, would leave a white foam adhesive mess all over an other wise brand new, PERFECT stand.

I can not wait to get it out there!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
joek03 said:
Allright guys I am in the market for a stand. Looking at the Goliath, Viper, and Razor. It looks to me the only difference between the viper and the razor is the fold away front bar. I am 6' 210 lbs, would the goliath be more comfortable? Any other pros and cons to any of these let me know. Thanks for you help!

Joe

I'm very close to you in size as I'm 6' 220 lbs and I use a Viper. I have room and the stand is comfortable but during the late season when I start adding clothes, the extra room of the Goliath would be nice.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. If anyone else has any more let me know. I can't believe I'm going to spend this much on a treestand (I think I said the same thing about my bow) but hey, you only live once. Thanks again.

Joe

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
I recently bought a new Viper. Hunted with it yesterday and today. It is too comfortable, stands are not supposed to be comfortable :)

I could easily sleep instead of hunt. :eek:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Go with the Goliath. While you could get by with the Viper based on your size, it's always better to have more room and not need it. For instance, winter here requires more clothes, thus a tighter fit. I'm 6'2", 260 and I love my Goliath.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Started with a Viper, son took it over, so bought the Goliath for the extra room. It was worth it. The other advantage that I found is the Goliath platform and seat nests together in a more compact manner(not as big of a profile). Buy the Goliath. I'm 5'10" and 210.

·
Registered
372 Posts
As far as the razor being noisy its not at all. i hunted in mine today. it may seem that it would but intill you own one, you wouldnt know. its the same size platform as the viper, but if your strictly bow you will appreciate the open front. the stickers are as stated above.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Have a viper and a bullet backpack and love both of them. Youwill not be disappointed with any of their stands.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Once I got my Razor last year, the Viper stayed home all season. Add the footrest to whichever you get!

Best Regards,
Byron :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like I need to get the footrest. What do you guys do with your bow? Do you hang it or put one of the bowholders on the stand. Also, with the razor it looks like you have to fold the bar under. Am I right or can it be kept out as well. I'll be honest, I have a habit of taking a snooze on a nice day in the woods, and it would be nice to have the bar out in front of me. But if the seat keeps you pretty laid in there I think I could get away with the razor and no bar in front. Let me know what you think, thanks for the help.

Joe

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
The Viper, Razor, and Goliath are all comfortable. I have a Python, which is similar to both the Razor, and Viper. I'm 6'2", and 200lbs, and my Python is very comfortable during an all day hunt. The only disadvantage the Goliath has is that it's a third again heavier than the other two stands. That may, or may not be a factor for you, but when one has hunted in the Appalachian mountains like I have one learns how heavy 10 extra pounds can get while going up the side of a mountain. ;) The razor appears to have replaced the Python this season, since the Python is no longer in the Cabela's catalog. I love my Python. I'd hate to think of hunting without it.

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
BTW, I've ordered a foot rest kit for my python, and plan to remove the folding bar for bow hunting. I'll use it if I go out with the rifle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do Not Like Climbing with the Viper

Sorry guys, but the cable climbers just don't get the bite like the ol "V" bladed climbers used to be.

The plastic stirrups need to be replaced with aluminum. I've noticed bass pro is selling stirrup replacements.

Good luck!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Viper

Love my viper. Have napped in it from time to time - lock my knees up against the rail after taking all the slack out of the tether strap on my SOP and catch a few ZZ's:wink: I replaced the original foot straps with the plastic stirups and haven't had a problem for the past 2 seasons. The bow holder from Summit isn't worth the money for wuse on the Viper. I just hang my bow on a hook when naping or lay it across the front rail.

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
joek03 said:
Sounds like I need to get the footrest. What do you guys do with your bow? Do you hang it or put one of the bowholders on the stand. Also, with the razor it looks like you have to fold the bar under. Am I right or can it be kept out as well. I'll be honest, I have a habit of taking a snooze on a nice day in the woods, and it would be nice to have the bar out in front of me. But if the seat keeps you pretty laid in there I think I could get away with the razor and no bar in front. Let me know what you think, thanks for the help.

Joe
Trust me on this... you will sleep in your Summit. ;)
I've been awakened more than once by deer right under my stand.:embara:

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
Lerie said:
Started with a Viper, son took it over, so bought the Goliath for the extra room. It was worth it. The other advantage that I found is the Goliath platform and seat nests together in a more compact manner(not as big of a profile). Buy the Goliath. I'm 5'10" and 210.
That is something to consider. The Goliath folds up, and packs flat, but that also adds two more steps to setting it up, and taking it down too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts