Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bushnell trophy cam (camo)229.99 or Moultrie 5.0 outfitter 229.99?..pros and cons please

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I've been running 4 Leaf River IR 7ss cameras for quite some time now,and just picked up 2 of the Bushnell Trophy Cams from Cabelas on sale from $229.00 down to $200.00 plus a $20.00 discount coupn for each one;so they only cost me $180.00 a piece.They setup easy and take good pictures so far (knock on wood).The thing I like about them is they run on AA batteries which will save some money as time goes on.Here is one of the first pictures I got.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I tried them all and now I own 5 RECONYX trail cams!!! Hands down they are the best.Punch in trail cam reviews on your computer and read about them!PJ:eek:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Somehow typing in "trail cam reviews" did not bring reconyx to the top for me. Looked like tons of information to read through which is probably what the OP was hoping to avoid. Does Reconyx offer a $200 cam?

I have two Bushnell Trophy cams. For the most part, I'm happy with them, only getting occasional dark pics due to canopy and dawn/dusk issues. Battery life appears to be real good, just don't leave the camera switch in the set-up mode position for a week, DOH! What few dark pics I get, I can easily adjust the brightness/contrast of, but I work in an imaging field (though doing the adjustment is not rocket science!). I fear that the SG550 and the DLC Coverts might have gotten locked out of the factory when Bushnell cut a deal.

As to the Moultrie 5.0, I can't personally speak of that model. I had a D40 and for the price was generally happy with it, but when the flash died, I tossed it in the trash and did not buy another Moultrie.

Good luck with your decision, it isn't easy and usually there is buyers remorse over some function of the cam.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I have both of the cameras expect my moultrie is an I40, only diff is the megapixels and camo version. I would have to say go with thr trophy cam. Better battery life, faster trigger speed, easier to hide because of the size. I have only had mine for a few days but I like it already. Very easy to setup and it takes great pics! Goodluck with your decision!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did you think of looking at a Scoutguard? I have the Moultrie Outfitter Cam and I just sent it in to get the menu display replaced. I own a Scoutguard 550 and absolutely love the cam. It takes great pictures and videos and has awesome battery life. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have a moultie I 40 and the LCD screen is starting to go on it and I know this is a major prolem with a lot fo the newer Moultries. If it is under the 1 year warranty they will fix the problem but if not you will be sending them another $40 to replace it with the same defective screen and it will probably go bad. Their customer service has a lot to be desired.

I am looking at the Scoutguard as my next purchase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts