Archery Talk Forum banner

Which treestands are death traps

3697 34
I will start.

I feel like the Summit Trophy System is a death trap and Im wondering what has taken so long for them to recall it.

I have had it on a tree on 3 separate occasions and have never felt comfortable with it.

If you know of a stand that someone has been hurt out of or is unsafe...please post.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
2,487 Posts
Not being comfortable and a "death trap" are two different things.

I own a ol' man climber with a wrap around bar, so when I hunt fix stands without any bar I am uncomfortable because it is different and less secure in my mind. However, the fix stands aren't death traps.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant death traps...if you know someone who was hurt under normal use post.

Or the stand has the potential to hurt someone under normal use.

I bought two of these stands without seeing them with my own eyes. I love the seats...I use them for everything...never was able to get used to the platform.

And not your buddy drew you a map on the ground in the dark to a stand that he had never personnally sat in and the ratchet was dryrotted and almost killed you (true story) thanks Spencer...

Attachments

· Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me clarify...depending on what kind of tree the leg that hangs from the bottom may or may not bite.

Dont get me wrong...I love Summit. I own the Viper and the Razor. And absolutely love the trophy seat...but as sure as Im sitting here...someone has fallen off of this platform.

Attachments

· Registered
285 Posts
Yall must not be old enough to remember the Bakers. All stands these days are cadiliacs compared to some of the junk Ive "hunted" out of. Ive still got a climbing Loc-On brand stand called the "Explorer" that's pretty rough.
ahh....the old baker's i bought one when i was 15 it was very used, but it was my first tree stand....it worked fine untill i fell 15 feet when it slipped one october morning. It took me ten years to get back in a climber and i still have butterfly's in my stomach. The new climbers are a far cry from the "chin up " style bakers.

· Registered
33 Posts
I always thought Summit stands were good until I sat in the freezing rain in one. The platform iced over and I could barely stand up. That's when I sold it and bought my Lone Wolf!

· Registered
3,016 Posts
They all are fat people should not clime trees, thats why I stay on the ground:wink:

· Owner WR Custom Bowstring
1,059 Posts
Death trap

I will agree with Artisc! The Baker treestands were the worst treestand ever made! The bottom would drop out from underneath you while you were climbing. Then top pivot back-n-forth! Then once you made it up the tree it never actually got tight to the tree. The last time I used it, the platform shifted and flipped me up of the stand. The only thing that saved me was my safety belt. After that I made it back down the tree and chucked in the brush! In fact I think it is still out there in woods.

· Registered
995 Posts
They all are fat people should not clime trees, thats why I stay on the ground:wink:
hahaha. i'm building a new permanent ground blind right now hahaha:thumbs_up

· Bowhunter
1,668 Posts
The base on my old loggy would always slip and scare the crap out of me I wouldn't climb over 15' I now have a summit openshot and could not be happier even on wet days. :thumbs_up

· Banned
4,880 Posts
Yes the Bakers do the worst kind of sucking.I never was fond of the API climbers.They always scared the bejesus out of me when climing.I have climbed 100's and 100's of trees with the Loggy's and have only had two instances where they scared me.Once was on a wet sycamore that was as crooked as a snake.The stand slid down the tree a few feet a couple of times.The other was a great big black oak.It was to big for me to reach all the way around.I was 25+' up in it,and the stand slid to the bottom and there I was.That wasn't no fun.After I learned what trees not to climb I havent had any trouble since.

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Baker was my first stand too--and I didn't have any problems with the tall straight pines in Alabama. But, in our part of Texas, it's hard to find a tree straight enough to use a Baker on, so it went into the aluminum recycle heap/ I uses either tripods or leaning ladder stands, and do just fine.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
Any wooden homemade stand is a death trap especially if it is more than one year old.
Ain't that the truth, I remember hunting my old homemade ladder stand as a teenager. Nothing feels more strange than taking that next step coming down and the next thing you know you're laying on your back looking up at the sky. A friend of mine has a box stand built into a tree (tree house I guess you'd call it) and he's been hunting it for over 25yrs now. He's always nerves about having the floor falling through but still hunts it. Buzzards love it and are always trying to build a nest in it. Every other season he has to run them out of it and he said the first thing they do when you scare them is puke... then his stand smells quite lovely for the rest of the season. :lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.