Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
f250 powerstroke diesel or a smaller 1/2 ton or midsize? I love diesel though so its tough.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I had engine problems with my 06 250 diesel and traded her in for a chevy 3500 dually duramax. I love ford but they have to fix that engine.Also heard that all 07' diesels have a ton of restrictions on them. My dealer said to buy 06.

·
Registered
24 Posts
re: truck

I've been a diehard gm guy since I was a kid, but the new dodge is definitely the way to go now, in my opinion. If you have the $ and your looking for something fairly new the cummins turbo-diesel is awesome! If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg but still want a good truck, I'd go with a chevy from '00 or '01.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you have already owned a diesel that you already know the answer to this, the diesel is a great truck. mine is a powerstroke and it runs great, but if you don't have the need for one then i would get the smaller, gas truck. it kills me for 79.95 oil changes and fuel filters that need to be changed every 25,000 miles, that cost 149.95 for the pair. oh and lets not forget the 129 dollar air filter. they cost more to maintain, and if you live in the cold climate you gotta keep them warm too, and allow time to warm up in the morning. mine can't get out of its own way when its cold. just a few things that you might want to consider before you get one, good luck. Dano

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Dano240 said:
If you have already owned a diesel that you already know the answer to this, the diesel is a great truck. mine is a powerstroke and it runs great, but if you don't have the need for one then i would get the smaller, gas truck. it kills me for 79.95 oil changes and fuel filters that need to be changed every 25,000 miles, that cost 149.95 for the pair. oh and lets not forget the 129 dollar air filter. they cost more to maintain, and if you live in the cold climate you gotta keep them warm too, and allow time to warm up in the morning. mine can't get out of its own way when its cold. just a few things that you might want to consider before you get one, good luck. Dano
I agree...I'm trading my Powerstroke off next week for a 1/2 ton gas just for those reason.When I needed it,I couldn't beat the diesel.I don't need the power now,so it's gone.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I am buying one for the wrong reasons then. I love diesels I use one at my company and work on alot of diesel equipment. I dont haul anything and really dont need the power I just like bigger trucks and nothing sounds better than a diesel ..IMO. Maybe ill just go with a 2500HD gas or like a 1500 and just lift it a little.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I've got an 06 King Ranch F-250 Powerstroke and love it. That said if you don't have a travel trailer, fifth wheel or something else heavy to tow then they really don't make sense. If you really like the big truck look then get a F-250 gas burner. The chevy is smaller and doesn't have the profile of the Ford. I know as my oldest son has a Duramax 2500 and when you park it beside my truck there is definitely a difference.
Dave Nowlin

·
Registered
710 Posts
I can't stand diesels. Horribly loud, smelly obnoxious things. :pukey: If you need a big truck to haul heavy trailers or for heavy duty, high capacity work tasks (construction contractors, etc.), then diesels and full size trucks make sense. But if you just want a pleasant truck for family and moderate cargo, mid-sized or even smaller full-sized trucks with gas engines are the way to go.

I owned a used '98 Dodge Dakota club cab before I bought a new '03 4x4 Dakota quad cab. (Carseats weren't cutting it in the club cab.) The quad cab is perfect for me. It has a spacious interior for my family on long trips, with plenty of bed room for hauling "stuff", yet it's small and low enough for good visibility, handling, and manageability. My now 7 yr old has been able to scoot in and out since I bought it without any problem. Occassional off road treks and heavy snow travel is just fine. I also have a fiberglass cap, so cargo/luggage can be kept safe and dry under lock and key. I have the 4.7L engine, which averages 15.5mpg under my heavy foot. Highway mileage ranges between 17-18. Best ever was 21mpg.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I had a 88 F250 4+4 with the diesel and had almost 300,000 on it. We sold it because it started to nickle dime us. My wife has horses and wanted something newer. We opted for the GMC 2500 4+4 with a 1 ton susspension already set up with all the things needed for a gooseneck trailer. It was one of the trucks at the Quarter Horse Congress. Our F250 had more power and torque than this one. We were looking at the Fords but ended up wih the GMC because of 0% interest.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Cummins period. To bad it comes with a dodge attached to it.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
fredb said:
Cummins period. To bad it comes with a dodge attached to it.
Gee Fred, I am glad you said it!:wink:

Coming from a Dodge/Cummins guy....that has to hurt!

BTW, are you attempting the trip to Pike county in that contraption again this year?

Last year I got out of my treestand to meet you....I could have hunted for two more days waiting for you and that Dodge to make the 700 mile trip.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey Mitch, did you get a new truck yet?......you oughta be due, the ash tray is full......

make sure you fill up with gas before you leave for Illinois so i get a bigger bonus...:RockOn:

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
fredb said:
Hey Mitch, did you get a new truck yet?......you oughta be due, the ash tray is full......

make sure you fill up with gas before you leave for Illinois so i get a bigger bonus...:RockOn:

My ashtray is full........of quarters. Ain`t no smoking in my truck, just a little chawing.:wink:

I`ll get a new truck next fall....probably go with another HD Crewcab and a Duramax for power this time around.

Don`t worry, the tank will be full before I pull out. The darn tank only goes about 320 miles before it gets real thirsty again.:eek:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mitch, are you saying the old chevy is a little :darkbeer: thirsty? Well I just want to say thanks for doing your part to create my job security. Don't forget to fill the quad up too:thumbs_up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts