Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am just starting out in this sport, can anyone advise me on whether I should start learning w/ a trigger style release or a back tension release? Also, is my draw length affected depending on which I use, if any? Thanks.

·
Occam's Razor
8,340 Posts
Back tension by all means......however....

most will try them all, and spend lots of money, before setting on one that they like the most.....

Many will punch or flinch with a trigger. Back tension, though many shoot a back tension with anything but back muscles, is usually the best as it allows for a better surprise shot.

One can shoot a trigger with back tension, actually that is the preferred way.........find a friend, a shop, a range and ask other archers to use there release. Most will help you and that way you can shoot many different ones. But the first few rounds are never like the ones two weeks later..................ck

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
I echo

what CK said

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
BACK TENSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could not say it enough. It was the BEST advise ever given to me. Wish I could have taken that advise earlier. Thanks DC!!!!

Learn the right way, you don't even want the wrong way (or the easiest way to be most consistant) (punching) in your head. If you don't know how to punch then you wont!

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
If you're just starting, I'd certainly advise you to start with some good instruction and do it with a back tension release. I learned the other night that it's easier to learn back tension if you're not already programmed for a trigger release. The first arrow my wife sent towards a target was with a back tension release. She had no problems at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts