Archery Talk Forum banner

Which Vanes for Hunting?

645 Views 13 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  phumb
I have a question on which vanes to use for hunting. I'm currently shooting 26 1/2" Beman ICS Hunter 500 arrows with 3D Duravane 1.8" for target shooting and really like them. My question is how will this vane perform in hunting conditions? Will they be alright to use? I'm shooting a Diamond Marquis and I do not have enough clearance to shoot Blazer Vanes....the right fletching hits my cable on it's way by.

So, what vane would you suggest I use?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
435 Posts
I have been using the new Gateway Rayzr feathers for the last year and half and love them, you should take alook at them before you decide on something!

· Classifieds Administrator
39,729 Posts
I shoot Blazer vanes on my Easton FMJ's with G5 Strikers and I like the flight and accuracy I get.

I think what you have will work fine.

· Trophy Meat Hunter
11,366 Posts
Kilk14---I shoot 2" Blazers on my ICS 400s with a TR Dropzone rest and don't have any problem with clearance. Could you turn your nock to give you the clearance needed? You don't say what kind of rest you are using.

· Registered
3,979 Posts
My guardian is also close with my blazers, but I have clearance. Can you adjust your rest a little bit to the left and still get a decent paper tear. Play around with that and you might get the room needed.

I shoot NAP QuikSpin Speed Hunters, Blazers and Fusions out of my Guardian and Alphamax.

· Registered
3,778 Posts
Using a QAD ultra drop away rest. I don't have much room to move it left....otherwise I could probably make that work.
dont move your rest, rotate the nock so the feather(vane) clears...Also, why not just screw in a b-head and try it with the vanes you have???? lastly, I used blasers with my ice, I did(and do with all my bowtechs) swap out the cable roller with an aftermarket that gives a tad more clearance, you may have to re-tune though...

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dont move your rest, rotate the nock so the feather(vane) clears...Also, why not just screw in a b-head and try it with the vanes you have???? lastly, I used blasers with my ice, I did(and do with all my bowtechs) swap out the cable roller with an aftermarket that gives a tad more clearance, you may have to re-tune though...
phumb....thanks for the advice, but if I turn the nock the fletching contacts the rest, that's where the problem is.

As far as swapping out cable rollers....what brand have you gone with in the past? I would be interested in what others have done.

· Registered
226 Posts
My brother is shooting the same vanes you are using, but he has 4 of them. They work great for his practice tips or his broadheads.
Mark

· Registered
3,778 Posts
they are white and made of teflon, cant think of brand, i'll try to find out 4 ya
phumb....thanks for the advice, but if I turn the nock the fletching contacts the rest, that's where the problem is.

As far as swapping out cable rollers....what brand have you gone with in the past? I would be interested in what others have done.

· Registered
25,353 Posts
i use blazers and love them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.