Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ObsessionArchery.com
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a great deal on a Sony Camcorder this year. It's digital and has a remote.

I want to video tape some of my own hunts.

Which Tree mounted Video camera holder do I buy?

Thanks for any info.

·
ObsessionArchery.com
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks great but I don't think I need anything that expensive. For $200 I could rent a buddy to video tape for me.

Must be something decent for around the $50 area.

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
Go get a Gorilla camera mount. I saw one at Walmart last nite for $35+/-. I know Bass pro has them at $39.99 also. multiple ways to mount it and very sturdy. I think you will find it to be a great value for your money. DCM

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
We ALWAYS buddy hunt with video camera. Its always better to have buddy running the camera anyway. I guess I didn't really understand your objective. If you are just looking to get part of the hunt on video (its tough to move around and re-orient a camera, with deer there, plus you gotta try and keep the camera out of the way of your bow).

If you are going to put it on the mount, and leave it on wide angle, save your money on the camera mount and leave it home, because you can't see anything on wide angle. Everything is just too small.

Whitefeather made his own mount, see if you can find him, he may have some directions.

There's no way I'm putting a $1000-$2000 DV camcorder on a $35 camera mount from Wally World....

Good Videoing!

Bo

·
Registered
64 Posts
Following other peoples recommendations from these forums, I chose an ExtremeShot. I have yet to try it out though.
The one thing I worried about on a tree mounted was how to follow the action. I don't want to reach up & try to track a deer while trying to draw my bow. With the Extreme Shot you can supposedly pan the camera with your knee or leg. Either way, good luck & hope you get some great shots.

http://www.extremeshot.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=1&mid=-1

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'll agree with Darrin, I've got the Gorilla camera arm (although I think I paid 49.99 at Bass Pro :( ) and it worked great for my bear hunt. Very solid.

If you really want something cool, like a bow mounted camera, check this out.

www.bowseye.com

I know 2 guys that have these, they work better than I thought they would, but you need a newer camera with an input jack.

·
ObsessionArchery.com
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies.

I am looking at the Gorilla. The Bowseye looks pretty cool though.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Here's a pic of one that I made myself. Total cost was somewhere around 9 dollars. I purchased all the materials at Home Depot. I had a friend weld the elbow for me. It looks a little different now, cause I made some changes. It's now camouflaged and the steel washers were replaced with nylon ones. I changed the L bracket to a screw-in tree step(if it can hold me, it'll hold my cam), drilled through it, and put the bolt through it so it swivels easier.

Works pretty good so far....

JP

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
cgchris99,
I also bought a new sony cam this year I got the trv-22, I purchased a mount to go on my bow havent hunted with it yet but I have shot with it and cant wait for archery to open. It seems like it will work very well,find out soon enough.good luck!
Ryan

http://www.antlertrap.net/videohunter.htm

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just got a mathews lx and the video is much better than my black max for obvious reasons! It isnt bad at all it takes a little practice with bow,adjustments with camera zoom etc. but I think it is pretty cool, I am glad I bought it and plan on having it on my bow all season and compiling a dvd at the end of the season should have some good shots. the reason I went the bow mount route is that it seems it will be much easier to get a good video without excessive motion (ie. seperate camera mount) and I dont hunt over bait so you never know where you are going to get a shot from. Like I said I havent hunted with it yet, just some practice shots and yes you definately get some shock but I think it will be easily overlooked and also maybe add to the realism?
Ill find out soon enough oct 1st for me cant wait:D

Ryan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts