Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought this would be the best place of all to ask this question. I have allotted myself 1 week of vacation (S, S, M, T, W, T, F, S, S) to Bow Hunt.

My question is to all of you is, in your opinion, which week this year should I take off that, can or will, increase my odds for success at harvesting a quality buck.

I live in North Central Ohio and I hunt a private farm (I'm not the only one) and for the past two years I have hunted basically the first week of November. This year I was thinking about moving to the second week of November. I have taken bucks the last two years but, I was wondering if the second week may bring out better quality bucks because of it being farther into the rut?

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I have killed more bucks(and does alike)on the first week of November than any other time. The 4th being my special day, several just on the 4th alone. good luck from southeast Ohio.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Im with dave2...first week of november...last year my day was the 6th:)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rut

In 05' my day was the 2nd, in 04' the 5th. With this in mind, I am leaning seriously towards the 6th through the 10th. What do ya' think?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I always take the first week of November for vacation.Always seems to be the best week.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Vetern's day seem's to be the day for me,just remember a week of deer hunting is better than a week of work no matter what week you take.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I've killed a couple of nice bucks over the last couple of years the last few days in October. Both came in to a grunt call. Seems like the bucks are looking for a fight or for does but the does aren't too interested yet. The closer you get to the middle of November you start seeing bucks that may be just cruising through, harder to pattern.
The last week of October through the month of November is my favorite time of year!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Darrell said:
6th through the 10th?
Check the moon signs, but I believe that during this time period the full moon will be in effect, and the deer movement in daytime hours might be a little less than previous years. Also the second week of Nov., at least in Missouri, is usually the "lock down" portion of the rut, so while the big boys are laying up all day with does, the smaller bucks are still cruisin', and looking for receptive does. I myself this year will be using the last week in Oct., but would prefer to hunt from Oct. 29 - Nov. 4th. Just my .02.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I am thinking the 29- 4 also with the moon phase and when the big boys are out chasing does. And Halloween is a great night to be out in the woods if you can handle it:eek:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Best Days

Tough to tell now, equinox puts it 5-13 Nov. for me, here in New Jersey, after that the dominant bucks start to sack out with does during daylight hours for a week, but it depends on your region.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Dec 8th?

I was reading an article recently that was saying rut for states north of the mason dixon line had their rut starting Dec 8 this year, and southern states would be Nov 6 (or thereabout).

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Moon?

I just checked the calender and it does show the full moon starting on the 5th.

Dec 8th, my fingers burn a bit when sitting out up here that late in the year, I do it on occasion when Ole' Man Winter lightens up a bit.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'd take that last few days of october, 1st days of november, if your requirement is a saturday thru the following sunday. (28-5th) other wise if you can split it up, I'd go 31-7th

·
Team #28
5,828 Posts
BowtechArch said:
Well up until last year..........Nov. 4th and 5th was the "magic" days.

Last year the 1st week = low 80's with 35 mph winds = SUCKED.

[/ar....QUOTE]

I am with you on this one. Last year I took off the same week to hunt in upstate NY. It was terrible. The 2 worst things you could have high heat and high winds.

That said, I am off again for the first week of November. I love that week! Clear the freezer, it is time to stock up.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I was reading an article recently that was saying rut for states north of the mason dixon line had their rut starting Dec 8 this year, and southern states would be Nov 6 (or thereabout).

I think you got her flipped "inatree" but that works depending on how heavy she is.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Nov 9th - 17th the bucks should be going crazy in OH. at that time

I'll be in Kansas from Nov 11th - 23rd :wink:

Archermike

1 - 20 of 31 Posts