Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to move out west next year (Rocky Mountains). I would like to hear from resident hunters on the quality of hunting and the opportunities available. Another major consideration would be good schools for the kids and availablity of jobs. So tell me guys, where should I move?

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
can't beat Oregon

Columbia blacktail
Columbia Whitetail
Whitetail
Mulies
Roosevelt Elk
Rocky Mtn Elk
Bear
Rocky Mtn. Bighorn
California Bighorn
Antelope
Turkey
Cougar
bunch of small game

am I missing any.

Plus, as a resident they have the Sportsman's Pac, which gives you almost all your necessary tags, stamps and licenses--all for about $130 I think.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
if you

want a good job, and good schools. then a western state with good hunting. i would look into around gillette wy. really good jobs. and lots of hunting:darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like we've got votes for Montana, Oregon, and Wyoming. Sounds like I can't go wrong! Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can't beat Oregon

Columbia blacktail
Columbia Whitetail
Whitetail
Mulies
Roosevelt Elk
Rocky Mtn Elk
Bear
Rocky Mtn. Bighorn
California Bighorn
Antelope
Turkey
Cougar
bunch of small game

am I missing any.

Plus, as a resident they have the Sportsman's Pac, which gives you almost all your necessary tags, stamps and licenses--all for about $130 I think.
That is definately a lot of bang for your buck!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
definitely!

here is what is included in the pac

the Sportsman's License (Sports Pac) includes:
Combination Angling/Hunting License,
black bear tag (general season or controlled 700 series, not leftover bear tags),
general cougar tag,
one elk
deer tag (general season or controlled 100 and 200 series hunts, not leftover deer and elk tags)
upland game bird validation
Oregon waterfowl validation
spring turkey
combined angling harvest tag.

That is definately a lot of bang for your buck!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Lived in OR for two years. Had to move back home to ID because of lack of good hunting. I hate putting in for tags to get to hunt in a good spot. If I had to pick one just for hunting Mt would be it. My friends in MT have it made lots of tags and long seasons.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Oregon would be a good choice. Idaho would be good and Wyoming..

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
WY, Sleeper state??

lived in central Oregon for more than half my life.

great place to hunt in my opinion!

Since it's in the middle of the state. You have the steens to the southeast, eagle caps to the east, cascades directly by you, and roosevelts and blacktail are only a couple hours drive away.

Big mulies and elk roaming around.

Orygun??

Seriously, Wyoming if you want to hunt.
Wyoming, Sleeper state.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
lack of good hunting? What area were you in?

Lived in OR for two years. Had to move back home to ID because of lack of good hunting. I hate putting in for tags to get to hunt in a good spot. If I had to pick one just for hunting Mt would be it. My friends in MT have it made lots of tags and long seasons.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
wonder if I've seen you around my area!!! just kidding. There's a lot of ground to cover but they're out there. Actually grew up in Gilchrist--as small as it gets practically.

In the early and mid-90s, there were deer everywhere in that area. I admit, it doesn't seem quite as good as it was then, but there are still some fine hunting opportunities and OTC tags.

Yes, date was all messed up. Pics were from fall 06.

I hunt elk south of town too.

date is a little schwacked ...
nice spot you have there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts