Archery Talk Forum banner

JakHammer or Steelhead for Whitetails, which would you use?

• Wasp JakHammer (post why)

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Rocket Steelhead (post why)

Votes: 25 59.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to choose one, which would it be and why?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd have to say the Jak-Hammer. I believe that the blades are sharper out of the box than the Rockets.

I don't really think you can go wrong with either head, but I like the Wasp better.

Ray C.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Steelhead,because it is "supposed"to be an awesome head....I will be watching this thread though,my brother is thinking of giving the "jakhammers" a try.....;)

·
Registered
445 Posts
JakHammers, because they're the first mechanicals I tried and the deer I've shot so far (only 2) were good clean kills. The blades are easily replaced, and can be tied closed for practice. They shoot like field points for me.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Steelheads first and next would be the Jackhammers.. Why the Jackhammers second? You can buy them at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Steelheads, because I've had so many positive experiences with them - 18 for 18 so far... I have to admit though, I've heard nothing but good things about JAK Hammers, and I'm sure that they work well, also...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
220 Posts
Flip a Coin,They are both respectable head's.Me ill choose Steelheads,because i know that they fly where aimed,unsure of the Jackhammers,never tried them.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Steelheads.My KE is kinda low.I only shoot 60 lbs .Nothing against jakhammers,but the steelheads MIGHT open a little better.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
With my setup I go will go with the jackhammers. The two main reasons are sharper blades and with 70 ft/lbs of ke I can better use the extra cutting diamter on the jackhammers. If penetration were a major issue the steelheads would be my choice.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Steel heads fall off not enough threads on shank

I hear guys *****ing about the lack of threads on the rockets

The Wasp are much much sharper

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've never used the jackhammers, but I can gauarntee ya those little steelheads are tough little heads. I took 3 deer with em last year, so my choice would be steelheads.:D

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ttt

·
Registered
204 Posts
Take your pick

Last year, we had one of each in camp. I was shooting Steelheads, and another guy was shooting Jak-Hammers. We both scored on nice deer the same weekend, and both of us made double lung hits. Both deer went down very quickly (35-40yds). We were impressed by both heads.... Both performed well for us. I think it'd be hard to go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
757 Posts
If KE is an issue then I'd say the Rocket steelhead wins hands down and thats what I voted for. Its the best penetrating mech head I have seen. If you have got the power to put a Jak-hammer through a deer it is a fine head as well. But if I'm not mistaken the cut diameter on them is something like 1 3/4 inches so I would advise you to make sure you are generating some pretty hefty KE before using them.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Todd1700 said:
If KE is an issue then I'd say the Rocket steelhead wins hands down and thats what I voted for. Its the best penetrating mech head I have seen. If you have got the power to put a Jak-hammer through a deer it is a fine head as well. But if I'm not mistaken the cut diameter on them is something like 1 3/4 inches so I would advise you to make sure you are generating some pretty hefty KE before using them.
Steelhead got my vote as well,but Jak-hammers now come in 1 1/4 cut as well as the 1 3/4 cut.....I think in 100 and 125 gr....

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Re: Steel heads fall off not enough threads on shank

Africanbowhunter said:
I hear guys *****ing about the lack of threads on the rockets

The Wasp are much much sharper
If you would check,you would see that the "Steelhead 125" has the same amount of threads as the "SF Prem.125,Thunderhead 125,Muzzy 3 125,Muzzy 4 100 and the Nap spitfire 125...I've shot all the above heads and have never had one "fall off"...:confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts