Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current hunting set up is a High Country at 62 lbs with a 27" draw length, but I can't decide on which arrows to use. I currently am trying three different arrows, one set of aluminums and two sets of carbons. The aluminums are XX78 Super Slams cut to 27", and with a 100 gr point, average 242 fps. One set of the carbons are PSE Dominator 200s at the same length, and they average closer to 262 fps. The last set are Beman ICS 400, which clock in around 252 fps. The aluminums are definitely the quietest in the group, with the Beman's being close. The Dominators are definitely not as quiet as the other two, but they are faster. Which would you prefer to use for deer, giving the longest shot would be 20 yards?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Which is shooting best for you? Which is grouping best?

If all arrows are shooting similar groups with the exact hunting setup you plan on using with them, and all other things considered...I would go with the aluminums if your maximum range is 20 yards.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,121 Posts
The kinetic energy the bow is giving won't change between the arrows. If you can live with the level of noise the Beman's give I would go with them. A fixed blade head is still stable and true at the mid 250's for speed. Much more than that and I don't trust the flight that well. I shoot aluminums from my current sixty pound bows but that is because I am getting about 253fps with them. I like the quietness of an aluminum too. I want a quiet setup that gives about 250fps. That is the hunting rig for me.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I use aluminums beacause they are quiet and hit hard. Out to 30 yds they are the best IMO.:) At 30yds though any of the above would do fine. My carbons are 20 FPS faster, with near identical KE to my aluminum's. The aluminum's are going 242 FPS out of my pro-tec and fly better than the Beeman 300's do with fixed blade 100gr T-heads.:D Happy Huntin'

·
Registered
784 Posts
As long as they tune and group, my preference is carbons. Myself, I'd go with the ICS's. Seems like a nice compromise. This year I'll be hunting with Gold Tip Xt's at about the same speed you're getting with the ICS's.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
A heavier arrow will give more KE shot from the same bow because the arrow absorbs more energy from the bow, and less is loss to noise and vibration. The difference is minimal though.
Do a search on KE, there have been some good tests and discussions on the subject.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts