Archery Talk Forum banner

Whisker Biscuit.................Is it all you really need??????

7781 Views 132 Replies 77 Participants Last post by  BrokenLimbs
This may have been asked many times but is a Whisker Biscuit really all you need? I have been researching this some and it seems to me your not really losing hardly an speed or accuracy. Your arrow is always ready to shoot and it is quiet. I have overlooked this rest for many years and have purchased lots of pricey dropaways but am thinking that it may be all you really need? I wanna here any and all opinions on this. Thanks
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Pros aren't using whisker biscuits for a reason.

From a hunting perspective, whisker biscuits freeze which can cause some inconsistencies.

Unneeded wear on fletchings yadda yadda.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

· Semper Fidelis
1,311 Posts

From a hunting perspective, whisker biscuits freeze which can cause some inconsistencies.

That's not true. I've seen David Blanton shoot a biscuit, as well as, some of the Drury staff.

· Shooter of flesh
7,672 Posts
They're really not as bad as people make them out to be.

If it freezes...push you finger through it...try to unfreeze a Ripcord that has gotten moisture in it. The only thing I don't like about them is they warp my vanes.

· Registered
1,713 Posts
I've found that Whisker Biscuits can cause more issues with arrow flight if your form isn't really good throughout the shot since the arrow is in contact with the rest for a lot longer. I switched to a drop away and won't go back, just get a full containment model and you will have the best of both worlds.

For hunting the WB will work just fine, but for a dual purpose rest I would go with a drop away.

· Banned
18,714 Posts
I have a WB on my primary bow right now and used it on the back up bow for most of the season so far........the Ripcord Red quit working again(3 rd time, 5 yrs old or so), so I went to the back up bow while waiting for new limbs to get in for the Allegiance(Barnesdale limbs)....I generally leave the WB on the back up(BT Patriot), but once the limbs were back on the ALLY, I wanted to hunt with it again this season and with the Code Red being trash, I put the WB on the ALLY....I can group it just as well as I could with the dropaway...I use GT Velocity's and they are quiet on the draw with it....it is a great hunting rest...however, I ordered up the new Ripcord ACE last week, and I'll put it on the ALLY when it comes in and the WB will go back to the Patriot.... I killed a nice Buck with the WB/Patriot this year, he had no idea I was around when I drew at 20 yds.....I do like a drop away for a tad gain in speed and the lack of fletching contact...also, if I muff my form, the arrow is off the rest faster.... I think that if all you do is hunt, dont do indoor leagues or top end 3D competition then the WB is a great hunting rest.....I'll try the ACE and hopefully it dosnt fail like the old Code Red has, I had put thousands of shots thru it and rebuilt/cleaned it twice, but when it got sluggish again, and dropped real slow I just figured it was time for a new Dropaway and I like the features of the ACE...... if it ever fails, I'll go back to the backup bow and the WB, they cant fail.....

· Premium Member
27,366 Posts
for hunting,nothing better then a biscuit....imo....as for the pro hunter comment.....hand them a check and magically biscuits would appear on their rigs next episode......i guarantee it.....Grizz

· Registered
4,383 Posts
They are FANTASTIC for hunting. About as foolproof as you can get. I've been hunting with them since day #1 and have never been persuaded by anyone to switch to anything else. If you shoot the 2 in. blazers (properly glued on, even with a helical pattern), they stand up the biscuit and don't get "burned." FWIW: I shoot Easton Axis 340's through the smallest biscuit. Fletching gets destroyed and/or arrows fail from stacking arrows/practice tips punctures, but not from the bristles. NOTE: Most other types of fletching (that I have tried in the past) do not tend to stand up well to a w/b though.

· Registered
278 Posts
I strictly use my bow for hunting anymore... (no 3d tourney's, etc.) Still shoot for pleasure around the house or at the range from time to time though. I currently have the drop away on my newest bow as i bought into all the hype just like everyone else... my backup still has the ol' WB. I haven't yet, but have said all year i'm selling the drop away and getting another WB for my newest bow. As soon as my season ends in December... my bow will be getting a makeover. I don't care about the slower velocity or warped veins etc... my old bow has killed more deer than most peoples age on this forum, and it shoots about 230 fps, so don't buy into that. As far as warped veins... guess i have never had an arrow long enough for that to happen. Never had a WB freeze either as far as i can remember (hunted in the worst of conditions too over the years)

· Registered
494 Posts
After season, I am going back to the WB from my QAD Ultra. The WB is a better hunting rest in my opinion.

· TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,918 Posts
Been hunting with a WB pretty much since they appeared back in the 90s. Have tried 3-4 diff kind of mechanical rest and always go back to the WB. Reasons being, Simple ,tuff ,accurate, and I like the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid). To many other problems to arise while in the stand to be worried about my rest failing mechanically or an awkward angle or arrow falling of the rest . I don't shoot tournaments and don't compete with a bow. I hunt and killing animals is my mission so a WB fits my profile. I have very little to no vane issues and it hasn't been an issue on any arrows I have fletched with feathers as well.

· Registered
23,637 Posts

ABSOLUTELY incorrect FYI/

· Banned
18,714 Posts

You obviously have no idea what your talking about.....

· Registered
1,975 Posts
Been hunting with a WB pretty much since they appeared back in the 90s. Have tried 3-4 diff kind of mechanical rest and always go back to the WB. Reasons being, Simple ,tuff ,accurate, and I like the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid). To many other problems to arise while in the stand to be worried about my rest failing mechanically or an awkward angle or arrow falling of the rest . I don't shoot tournaments and don't compete with a bow. I hunt and killing animals is my mission so a WB fits my profile. I have very little to no vane issues and it hasn't been an issue on any arrows I have fletched with feathers as well.
I agree 100%. Been using WB's since I started in 2000.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.