Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot a Mathews Switchback and Bowdoodle rest. I have been shooting feathers for 26 years and refuse to switch. I have a heilical that is not radical but it always hits my lancher. My bow is accurate but I never liked the fact it my feather would hit. I want to shoot a Whisker Biscuit with feathers. Can I do it?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes, you can do it. I have. Be prepared to refletch more often. The tips get frayed over a good portion of the length of the feather. Ensure you are adding a dab of glue on the leading and trailing edges of the feather (especially the leading). I fletch with Bohning tape and use a bit of Fletch Tite Platinum to dab both edges.

All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
6 Posts
a whisker biscuit would work fine with ur situation.... i used to shoot one with feathers but recently switched to a drop away captur rest which i shoot much better with its a bit more expensive but is worth the money, look into it; its called tri-van drop away rest

·
Registered
45 Posts
Get the Whisker Biscuit

I shoot feathers and a whisker biscuit. Shoot a bunch and you'll refletch a little more often, but the biscuit keeps your arrow "at the ready" 100% of the time. Love it and have used one for 5 years now.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Go for it--I have a WB on my Outback and shoot feathers through it w/o problems. Haven't had to refletch as I use the feathers for hunting, and vanes for my target work, so the feathered shafts don't get shot as much.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Are you telling me

that they actually make other rests for hunting besides a WHISKER BISCUIT ? Thats crazy ! :confused:

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
Used a WB since 2005.
I have dropaway's, but one bow is always outfitted with a WB.
I fletch 4'' feathers with right helical.
Feather wear is directly related to speed.
Faster the arrow, the more the wear.
With mine, I found 230fps to be a 'cutoff' point.
Under that virtually no wear (I shoot heavy arrows so not much of a problem).
Definately blob glue at the front.

Kev

·
Registered
478 Posts
Also as long as everything is in tune, the feathers will last longer. I have had close to 500 shots on 4" shield cuts and they where still flying like new, didn't look pretty, but they flew good enough for practice.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Used 4" helical feathers with my Whisker Biscuit for years. No problems. They will get frayed on the edges a little bit but still fly like darts.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
When I first started bowhunting, I used a WB rest with feathers. After a couple of years, I switched from feathers to vanes and had noticed that the vanes got tore up a lot more than the feathers did, and my groupings seemed to get worse. While I wouldn't ever switch back to the WB, but if I did, I wouldn't use anything BUT feathers.

David

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Used a WB and feathers with good results.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, you can do it. I have. Be prepared to refletch more often. The tips get frayed over a good portion of the length of the feather. Ensure you are adding a dab of glue on the leading and trailing edges of the feather (especially the leading). I fletch with Bohning tape and use a bit of Fletch Tite Platinum to dab both edges.

All the best,
Glenn

DITTO, Especially the tip on the edges being dabbed with a drop of glue. I do it on all fletching and vanes.

Stay Safe,
Franz

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
been useing both since i started bow hunting, my feathers hold up very well as well as just about any vane and better than most... my taget rig is feathers and a biscuit, and they get lots and lots of shots, i know well in excess of 500 shots each and they dont need changing yet

·
Registered
450 Posts
Only thing I would shy away from is shooting quick spin vanes through the biscuit. That's just me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts