Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went from a flipper rest using fingers to a WB and a release aid.
My bow is an older Bear Grizzly II set to 45-47 lbs shooting 29" carbon
composite arrows bare shaft 10.6 gr/ inch with 4" vanes and 100 gr field
points. Have not had it chrono'd yet. Main purpose will be deer hunting.
Will probably use Magnus stingers or Muzzy phantom 4 blade c.o.c.s

Question (1) Where do I set my nock point, 1/4", 3/8" high or dead on?
(2) Is any offset required or do I just do the walkback
routine with a plumb line?
(3) Can I expect to shoot broadheads without re-tuning or
is that too much to ask?

Just starting out with a compound for the first time, appreciate any
help I can get. Hunting hardwoods in the east and will be keeping my
shots to 25 yards or less.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Follow the normal tuning routine and you should be able to get there. Download the Easton Tuning Guide if you don't have one. There are no special tuning tricks with a WB.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
to awnser your questions

Id set nock 1/4in high, shoot paper for up and down, but do walk back to fine tune left and right... Good chance you wont shoot FP and BH the same without some fine tuning, you may, but most likely not.... so for now that hunting seasons here, sight in the BH's and worry about bring them togather later!!!

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I have set up several Whisker Biscuits and have found that doing it this way has saved me time.

I start with the hole in the biscuit even with the burger button hole and set at true center shot.

Then I place an arrow in the biscuit and nock it so it is at 90* to the string (this is just a starting point and will most likely be about 3/32" above this point when done tuning).

At this point the arrow is at 90* to both the bicuit and the string.

Paper tune for best holes any adjustments should be small and as said above may be a little higher than a true 90* to the string. If so adjust the biscuit so it is again at 90* to the arrow, repeat the paper tuning but always set the biscuit to 90* to the arrow.

This sounds very time consuming but it really isn't, takes me about 29 min.

The hole of the biscuit should be large enogh that with an arrow in it you should be able to see light around it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
one thing that might help is switching from 4" fletching too 2" blazers less drag going through wiskers and more durible made big differance on mine

·
Registered
469 Posts
Tuning With the Whisker Biscuit

Set the bow at an even tiller.

Install the correct size biscuit. The biscuit should fit loose around the arrow, not tight. And the biscuit should be parallel to the bowstring not tipped forward or backward.

The nocking point should be placed so the arrow is at a 90degree angle to the biscuit and the bowstring.

Use the correct spine arrow for the bow. The correct spine arrow for the bow will shoot in a straight line at all distances, and the incorrect spine arrow will not.

The windage for the rest should be determined by doing a walkback tune. You can start by simply lining the arrow up with the centerline of the bow, using the bowstring, cams and the arrow to set the windage. Often the optimum setting for the rest will be a little to the left of center for a right-handed shooter, in order for the arrows to all fall on the same vertical line during the walkback tune. And yes the biscuit is that sensitive to adjustment.

When you are done, if you have chosen you arrows wisely, your sightpins and the biscuit will probably line up real close to the centerline of the bowsting and the cams when viewed from the shooter perspective. How about that!

About tiller. All bows got it. If the limb were evenly matched at the factory and the bow has limb bolts you should be able to simply back both limb bolts out the same number of turns each to get the draw weight you want, and the bow will be set at an even tiller too. Don't bother measuring to the bowstring, its not an accurate way to do the job when there are two differently sized and timed wheels and cams on the ends of the limbs.

This stuff isn't brain-surgery. Its bow-tuning. And you can do it!

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
What arrowman said! I have found that 90 degree to the string is best with the WB.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WB advice

Thanks much to Arrowman and all the rest.
Passed my bowhunter ed course Sunday and shot out the
vitals on a 3d target at 20. Hope to repeat on the real thing
this Saturdays opener.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Way to go man!!!

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts