Archery Talk Forum banner

Whisker Biscuit

1657 Views 38 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  cdegeeter
I am looking at using a Whisker Biscuit for hunting.

Nice simple rest, I realize you lose a couple FPS, but I think it may be worth it.

My only concern is how hard it is on your vanes? I will probably use it with gold tip arrows and 4" vanes... Does it put bad wrinkles in them? If so how many shots does it take to do this?
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
8,473 Posts
If it is the stock vanes on the gold tips then it wont take too many shots to wrinkle them. I would suggest blazer vanes or 4 inch feathers for optimal performance from the biscuit. It isnt too harsh on vanes if they are quality vanes

· Registered
99 Posts
ive had good luck with duravane 3Ds. Any high quality vane will work though. The biscuit will wear out the vanes but will probably be good for 500 or more shots (remember that is per arrow, not just total shots with the bow as you may be used to hearing)

· Registered
3,469 Posts
I would get the trophy ridge arrows and they are already fletched with predator vanes which a lot better than blazers IMO. The arrows were designed with the WB in mind so when you draw you will not here a thing and they are awesome arrows to boot. I am shhoting the TR crush through the WB and I am very impressed.

If you want to stick with the GT's make sure they are the new ones. Gold tip is using Vanetec vanes which are a lot stiffer than the average 4" vane which will probably hold up to the WB alot longer than any other 4" vane.

Just my 2 pennies worth

· Registered
276 Posts
I use CE Maximas (not the hunters) and they fly fine through my biscut with the stock blazers. No wear so far. Only problem I had was I shot a vane off the other day and need to refletch the arrow soon.

· Registered
86 Posts
On a recommendation this year from my local archery shop, I started using flex fletch vanes on my arrows and have been very happy with the results. The vanes hold up very well.

· Registered
2,514 Posts
I sell more WB rests in the shop by far, as it was made for hunters. Nothing much can go wrong.

Now the issue on vanes ware is one that has over the years been corrected by several of the good vanes no longer have that problem.

I found one other way that I have setup on my own bow and several also of the customers bows and that is buy the alum size xl size hole WB. I shoot anything from 4 inch vanes for 3D, 4 inch feathers for indoors and the 2 inch Bohning BH vanes for hunting. All out of the same WB rest and work great with no vane or feather ware.

Now someone may say well that takes away from the rest holding the arrow, not true. the large hole only allows easy passage thru the rest. Also just like water always finds it own level, a arrow will always go to the bottom of the rest etc...

Bill

· Registered
5,341 Posts
The Whisker Biscuit has come a long way since the first ones came out.

Vane damage with the new biscuit is not applicable to quality vanes regardless of manufacturer. I like VaneTec 4" vanes and after more than two years of shooting through the biscuit the vanes look like new and the only vanes replaced are those that have been hit with other arrows.

Here's a picture of my VaneTecs:

· Registered
5,013 Posts
The Biscuit is a great hunting rest, but carefully consider the arrows and vanes you're going to feed it.

I recommend only those arrows with a smooth clearcoat-type finish, such as Beman ICS, Beman Team Realtree, Easton Axis, Trophy Ridges own line of arrows, etc. As for vanes, stick with those of a stiffer profile, such as Blazers, etc. Stay away from any of the "rubbery" vanes, as they will wrinkle over time.

· Registered
113 Posts
Vane Tec VMaxx

Four shooters in the family. We have tried diffenent vanes and arrows. I recommend VMaxx 3 or 4 inch. Stay away from Vane tec SS vanes. They are okay for short light arrows but not hunting arrows. My kids hunting and 3D arrows came from archerywarehouse.com Goldtips with 3 inch vmaxx and while sighting in went through ply wood several times and NO damage. We all use WB and have not had any problems with vane wear or sighting in. I have at lest 10 robin hoods a year. Make sure you follow clearance recommendations for your arrow size.

· Registered
35 Posts
the wisker bisquit is in my opinionisn't a good rest, it will pull an arrow straight as the fletch passes thru. but if ur bow is really tuned u would not need this. i use a drop away.
anyway i've always wondered if those whiskers got a little damp on a frozen day how much more drag it would impart on an arrow.... not a speed issue at all. if ur setup is not tuned well this style rest will impart enough drag on the arrow to pull it straight. dealers like this style rest because it is easy to tune with little fuss and the cust. is happy. but not much more effort and it could be truly tuned...

· Registered
6,867 Posts
I shot the WB rest for a couple of years and would not have any problems shooting with it again in a heartbeat.

I used Blazer vanes and they held up great. I also have tried Vanetec vanes with good results as well.

For my own preference, I liked the Blazers the best.

It's a great hunting rest for sure and is simple to tune and work with.

Also, don't forget to put a dab of glue at the leading and trailing edges of the vanes. Not so much as for the rest, it's just good practice as it helps when fletchign buries into targets.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.