Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new, been practicing quite a bit & am pretty accurate, My WB is chewing up my rt vane, lt & cock vane are fine. Also the "whiskers" are ruffled where the rt vane passes thru. What would cause the arrow to hit hard low & rt ? (on the bisquit, not the target)

My groups are pretty consistent, but it seems I may have more tuning to do.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Are you shooting helical? Even if your bow is tuned perfectly the right vane will hit the holder for the biscuit and then ruffle the whiskers of the biscuit just above the holder on the deluxe model. The cure is to not shoot cock vane up but slightly to the left, about 10 o'clock. With the helical there is enough turn with the vane wrapped around the arrow that with ithe cock vane straight up the right vane will hit. Put some lipstick on the vane to check for sure. If you get any on the holder you have found it.

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
Hey Cloquet -- I think you hit on something that alot of people don't know about the Biscuit. I didn't know it til a few weeks ago myself. People think because it is a shoot through rest that it really doesn't make a difference where the fletches are when they go through it. It does.

For those that don't know. On the deluxe models, you have two colors of bristles. You have the brown ones...which are the soft ones. And you have the black ones that are on the bottom of the disc. This is what holds the arrow up. They are stiffer and rougher so that the friction of the arrow going through wont wear it down as quick. So for that reason you need to turn your nocks to allow your fletch to clear the black area. It will save your fletch quite a bit.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Hmmm,

You are saying that with right helical fletching when you shoot through the WB with the cock vane up it is spinning enough before it clears the WB to make the right vane strike the black bristles?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Factory flectched carbon express arrows, cx 300's. they have a little twist to em' but not much. The thought did occur to me to move the cock vane more to 11:00 or 10:00.

It's the brown "whiskers" right next to the black ones that are getting ruffled.

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Dan

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You are saying that with right helical fletching when you shoot through the WB with the cock vane up it is spinning enough before it clears the WB to make the right vane strike the black bristles?

No, that is not what I am saying. I am saying the helical wraps around the shaft enough so that if you have the cock vane at 12 o'clock the right vane is wrapped around the shaft enough to hit the biscuit holder. The bristles that get ruffed up will be just above the holder. I set my nock so the cock vane is left enough so that my left vane just clears the black bristles on the bottom of the biscuit. It is possible I suppose that the arrow may be turning some also contributing to the contact with the holder.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I had a similiar problem with my setup. Check the clearance on the fletch to the cable as it passes through. The teflon cable slide was allowing the cable to come 3/8 closer to the arrow than the stock one would; every shot was hitting the cable and then the biscuit hard left.
I wore out the rest quickly before I found what the problem was
Good luck

·
Registered
817 Posts
Here is a picture of my fletching before I fixed the problem. I thought it was passing through the black bristles but it was hitting the frame of the rest. Put some lip stick on the vane and see if contacts anything. I found out the nock was high. After moving the nock down the problem went away.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Similar Experience

I had a similar problem except that my nock was too low. I raised it to be just barely nock high and the problem went away.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Nockpoint and tiller are closely related.

Most bows will shoot a level arrow from the 90degree position on the bowstring if the bow has been set at an even tiller.

A nockpoint that is set higher than 90degrees will require added tiller to the bottom limb in order to shoot a level arrow.

A nockpoint that is lower than 90degrees will require additional tiller on the upper bow limb in order to shoot a level arrow.

Its a whole lot faster and easier to set the bow up if you set the bow at an even tiller, and then set the nockpoint at 90degees.

The windage for the rest should be set where the correct spine arrows are all hitting the same vertical line at all distances.

The correct spine arrow will hit the same vertical line at all distances while incorrect spine arrows will not.

On right-handed bows the correct windage for the arrowrest may be an 1/8" to the left of the centerline of the bow in order to shoot its narrowest groups.

Cableguard tension and cam leans are not going to be the same on all bows, so you have to actually shoot the bow to determine the best rest position. A static 3/4" from the riser doesn't cut it for all bows.

After the optimum rest position has been determined, then you move the sight to where the bow shoots best.

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>

·
Bowhunter
5,209 Posts
As I understand the WB (I used to shoot one), the black bristles are meant to support the arrow. The brown ones are for fletchings to pass through. I suggest rotating your nocks to align the fletchings properly.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have this problem and mine is caused by the vane striking the cable. So far I have not found a workable solution. I will contnue to watch this thread with interest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts