Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black bear hunters beware the whisker biscuit rest. I just returned from a black bear hunt in Northern Maine. My partners and I got busted by three different bears while trying to draw a carbon arrow thru the whisker biscuit. The rest seems quiet enough at home and has even harvested several deer but it is way to noisy for the quiet of the north Maine woods.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not to state the obvious, but you should have realized the noise before taking the rest out hunting. I had planned on using aluminum arrows with my biscuit, but I had to change to carbons because of the noise. I actually went with ICS 400 arrows because they were the quietest of the carbons I tried. Never blame your equipment because you should always check it prior to heading into the field!

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
I drew a carbon (blunt tip) through the WB on a cow moose at 10 yards and she didn't even know I was there. Yep, this was just a practice draw, but the results would have been different if this had been a bull.

Frankly, 90% of hunters out there make more noise with their clothes than the WB when drawing. Hell, my elbow pops louder than anything the WB produces.

I am sorry, though, that you had a bad hunt.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Whisker Biscuit Arrowrests

Orion20: Sorry to hear about you hunt. Here are a couple of tips that may help. Generally if you can slide an arrow over you fingernail next to your ear and it is quiet, it will also be quiet when you draw it through the biscuit. Brand new biscuits are not as quiet as well broken-in biscuits. The breaking-in of a biscuit can be enhanced by shooting muddy dirty blunt-tipped arrows through the rest whenever it rains. Good luck hunting!

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I know how quiet the woods are in Maine. I spend two weeks in the Western Mountains every year. Any arrow rest will make noise when you are up there. I agree with Jason, check your equipment before hand, and use the Beman ICS carbons, they seem to be the most quiet.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Yeah those rests suck;)

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I just had a customer come in and complain about how loud his WB was. I asked to see his arrows, he produced the ICS 400 camo hunter's. Those arrows are wrapped with a film and are very loud with the WB. I let him try the black ICS 400 shafts and they were silent and to his liking.
Another thing to watch out for with the WB is the fit around the shaft. If the WB is too tight around the shaft, it will be loud and won't work very well. You'd like a loose fit.

Jon

·
Registered
54 Posts
I shoot Gold Tips through a biscuit. The GT's ar by no means the smoothest arrow on the market, but I get no more noise than I did with a TM and teflon tips. I open the biscuit up a bit. I also Armor All my arrows. It makes them a little quieter and they pull out of targets easier. I think I may try the ICS arrows on my next dozen. I keep hearing good things about them.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I sell more WB rest than any other as they are made for the hunter. I also use carbon, but I put johnson wax on both alum or cabon befor I shoot. This makes them make no noise when drawn and also easier to get out of 3D targets...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a WB Deluxe with the Quick Shot slot. I shoot 2413 xx78s and they are a bit snug. Can this rest be opened up a little for a looser fit?

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Walleye Guy;

Yes the biscuit can be removed and the slot opened, should tell you that in the instructions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts