Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they worth it? I have read that they do quiet your bow down ( I will be shooting 40-60 yards shots this year) but is it worth the speed loss. My bow is an older Browning Mirage 33, 27 DL set at 65lbs. Also if I do not have access to the string material, do you use dental floss or I do have some D and E fishing guide wrap string, would that be ok to use? Thanks, Tim

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
The big plus's far outway the small minus.
The very small speed loss, just a few feet per second is far outwayed by the reduction in noise you can get.
I tie mine in small balls, you don't need large ammounts of whisker material to get the job done.
A standard 6 by 1 inch strip split lengthways is sufficient for two balls, fold in half twice before tying in place.
I always keep my old bowstrings for the purpose of tying in whiskers, peeps etc, about the best material to use and saves paying out for serving thread.
Dental floss can be used if nothing else available although I have never done this myself.
I wouldn't like to guess on the fishing line.

Other advantages are whisker's last much longer than other string silencers, they look much better (JMO) and you can get them in all sorts of colors to match your strings.

Kev

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kev is correct in all of his statements. I use these in the same fashion on my bow and notice a big difference in the sound and I notice minimal speed loss in the arrow due to them. Besides, they are cheap and look cool!

Eric

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like your idea of tying a d loop for attaching your peep tube. I might have to use that on my bow.

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
That is a really nice setup that you have done. Attention to the details. Tim
Thanks.
I do like my bows to look their best:wink:
I tied triple colors on my Hoyt to match the feathers.
It is a little fiddley to get the bits of whisker material together to tie, but worth it for the final result.

Kev

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the help of everyone's advice, I did it. I used the cinch knot and green, black, and brown colors in a kit from BPS. Looks great. Thanks, Tim

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
With the help of everyone's advice, I did it. I used the cinch knot and green, black, and brown colors in a kit from BPS. Looks great. Thanks, Tim
Cool, glad you got it figured:wink::thumbs_up

Kev

1 - 8 of 8 Posts