Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you tie the whiskers to keep them from moving on the string. I really don't want to use glue to hold them and I have trouble getting them to stay tight. I think I am not doing something properly. Can someone help?

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Whats up mike,
Hows that No-Peep?:D I haven't used silencers like that in a few years, but I used to tie dental floss around them and then put a real small dab of glue on the knot..They would always slip down until I did that, then they never budged! Frank.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Put them in the string, not on the string. This requires a bow press. Tie them in with dental floss and your all set. They stay in place like your peep site would using the same type of knot/serving.

If you can't tie them into the string, then dental floss the heck out of 'em and a dab of glue is your only choice. They shouldn't move that much each shot, so if glue is an issue, simply push them back up to where you want them after 100 shots or so.

Siefrj

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Truth,
The No Peep is great. I really like it and wouldn't want to use anything else. I have even managed to get a few others turned onto them. Hope you are doing well.

I'll try tying them into the string. Maybe that will help. I have always just tied them around the string and that has not worked well at all. My dental floss has not held knots very well. I have been tying overhand knots and they seem to eventually loosen over time. Should I use a different knot? If so, which one should I try?

Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mike I use the same kind. I use Brownell B50 for any thing like this or peeps. With the bow in a press to hold it I tie one overhand knot and then tie another on the bottom side and then tie in the whiskers. I usually tie the whiskers about two times each side, just like starting on the string, one on top and one on bottom. Then a double overhand knot and clip off excess string leaving about a half inch. With the tag on top, get someone to hold it if not as not to burn the whiskers, burn it down to knot and touch it out with wet finger when it gets to the knot. tip, keep good tension on the string when tying in whiskers. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
441 Posts
OK laugh if ya want to but I used a small plastic tie and it holds fine.I am not worried about losing a few ft per Sec.Don't know if it does or not I haven't checked it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't use silencers anymore, but I agree with 'oldreloader'. I use to use a small plastic tie and never had them move on me.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have a bowpress, but don't use it for attaching whiskers. I tie knots like Solocamo. Tie overhand knots, alternating from the front of the string to the back. I tied about 2 knots on each side, finishing off with a square knot. If you know how to tie in a nock point it's the same knot. So far they've stayed where I put them. The other advantage to this is that you are able to move them. You can tweak for maximum damping abilities by sliding them around on the string.

For the basic knot, check out this link.

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/tieone/index.html

peashooter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts