Archery Talk Forum banner

281 - 300 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Jim! I can't have a close look of the limbs, but if you confirm OR limbs are usually related to 19" risers, I'm ready to go :)

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Limb pad angle plays a roll in how much weight gain there is from riser to riser. My 23" WFL has a steeper angle and limbs weigh heavier on it than they would on other 23" risers.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just looked at this thread agian. I have the 21” riser. The riser mod caught my attention. I wonder if I could do that same mod using a milling machine. We have one In our club woodshop. Would be less trouble to setup than our CNC machine. Last time I did a mod on a Bear SK I used a Japanese saw. Lowered the shelf to top of my hand.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Still not bought a WFL yet, but looking to get back into archery due to a long hiatus (thanks covid-19!)

I have a set of medium TT Blackmax 2.0 wood/glass marked 45# (I think they are based on the 17" riser?)

My questions for other WFL owners are;

- On the WFL 19" riser, what are these limbs likely to scale?

- I have the limbs paired with a 19" Titan riser. So you think the bow length should be similar enough that I could use the same string on the WFL?

- Previous posts mention some mod fixes required like gluing in set screws etc. Are these riser still worth getting?

Many thanks.
tbm

·
Registered
354 Posts
The set screws can come loose , if you get a riser and lose the screws let me know , I have 40 of them and can spare a few for the cost of a stamp. They are nice risers , I have others I shoot more but would not hesitate to buy one if it was my choice. Good value. I found the limbs I put on it ran pretty close to advertised weight so you should hit a little under 45. 45 may actually be within the range of adjustment.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Got a 19" Lark Essential due by the end of the week. Plan to put on 35# Black Max 2.0 longs. Been running them on a 19" Trident and they pull right at 35# with the bolts in. Interested to see how close they will be on the Lark. I've heard nothing but great things about this riser for $150.00 shipped from England.

·
Heeney
155 Posts
Silver Badger,
Did you get your riser setup yet? I got my 19 inch WFL from the UK just a couple of weeks ago. Arrived in 4 days after ordering it, that is nuts, don't know how they do that so fast. I ordered the Essential also, I actually liked the simpler looks of it better (and cheaper), and it looked just like the 17 inch OMP Sektor I just sold. They are the exact same riser. Nothing was wrong with the Sektor, I just prefer a longer bow. My 19 inch riser and long longbow limbs make 64 inches. This riser makes the perfect ILF longbow rig, like it much better with the longbow limbs rather than my recurve limbs. My 40 pound DAS limbs hit 40 pounds exactly at my 28 inch draw with the limb bolts backed out half a turn. This will be my primary hunting bow. Here are some photos. Incredibly happy with it for the price.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is an awesome riser for $150.00 shipped...........From England! The grip is spot on every time I grab it. It's got just the right amount of heft and it's dead in the hand. I like the trimmed down look of the Essential. I best describe it as a beefed up, well built, really smoothed out Samick Sage Elite with ILF fittings.
Alt Services can't keep these in stock.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hopefully they have fixed some of the issues with these risers, but be advised you may get what you pay for. I found they used helicoils of insufficient length that barely hold the LLA screws in place (bought a kit and replaced these along with screws that were lost). My riser also developed a cosmetic crack from where the limbs contacted riser (drawing less than 50lbs). In fairness, I have also seen cracking on expensive Border risers so that could just be a thing to expect with wood ILF risers. This riser did shoot and feel nice, but I have come to prefer metal risers for ILF applications with all the hardware they require. If I want a wood riser, I'd go the traditional bolt down route.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have put the ILF Longbow limbs back on my 23" recently. You might ask "why"? I had heard longbows were more forgiving of errors, and I am still making some. I specifically think I have a tendency to twist the string at my anchor, and longbow are said to be more forgiving of that error. If I get more accurate with longbow, might be able to tell me something about my shooting. I should find a coach.... :)

So, to test if this is occuring I plan to shoot longbow for a bit and see if I do better side by side with one or the other. Should be able to tell in a month or so. So far I like the longbow, did in past but put up and forgot about it for a year or two. It seems more forgiving of my errors, but I need to tune the darn thing in, no way it should be so noisy for me. Gotta experiment with the brace and arrows.

Any suggestions on good brace for a 68" longbow on ILF with Lark and a 31" draw? I am at ~8" now and man does it hum. Cheap Bosen limbs for experimenting.

My wife, with her 26" draw, shooting same limbs/riser finds it very quiet, and she is shooting this WAY better than her recurve so far. I may lose this setup to her. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
My riser has developed a crack in the shelf area. Really not concerned as there are multiple laminations . But I could probably not sell it if I was so inclined . My arrows are within 9gpi some 10 so it’s not from shooting to light an arrow. My guess is change in climate, ours is very dry 99% of the time.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Other than limb adjustment screws I have had no issues on any of my Lark risers. I currently have two 23", and a 19", have sold off the 17"/21"... tons of them, all bombproof for me in Houston. Oh, and I have a friend here that I set up on a Lark- he loves it. I suspect if we looked at any large group of wood riser sales we maybe would find cracks in them- I have a 21" Border with a crack down to handle from the plunger button. Shoots fine though!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I’ve been looking for one of these for a while now and alternative services is sold out and has been for a while trying to find a 19 inch right hand if anybody has one let me know

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
I’ve been looking for one of these for a while now and alternative services is sold out and has been for a while trying to find a 19 inch right hand if anybody has one let me know
Alternative has the 19" Essential in stock. It looks to me like it's the same riser but without the enclosed limb pockets and it costs less. Silver Badger here just got one and he's thrilled with it. Might be worth taking a look at it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Lark Essential is a keeper. The grip is spot on every time I grab it.
The Essential does not have the carbon ribbon and weighs about an ounce less.
It's a gorgeous riser and has just the right amount of heft.

·
Heeney
155 Posts
I have the 19 inch WFL Essential as well, showed up 4 days after I ordered it. You can see my pictures of it up in post #288. Compared to the pictures I have seeen of the other White Feather Lark, it seems the Essential is stained a darker color (which I like), and does not have a red accent stripe of course.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks guys. I definitely appreciate the input. I will check it out first thing tomorrow. I do like the look of the enclosed limb pockets. But I think I like it better without the carbon and the darker stain definitely looks better.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Update on using ILF longbow lmbs on 23" lark: Plan on cranking down your limb bolts. I have mine cranked down until to point there are only 3 threads left for the lock screw to grab. This makes limbs more linear along the bow, like a real longbow. Prior to this I was struggling with the bow being very noisy , after it is ok, and shorter brace. I may put in a spacer under limb bolt and try to get another 1/16-1/8" down.

I have shot some of my best groups EVER out of the longbow, enjoying a lot. Switched to three under at the same time, sure that is part of it...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Recent Lark owners, does the riser come with shelf rest material or side plate, or do you have to supply these yourselves?

Also, I take it these didn't come with instructions. Any idea on what the minimum arrow GPP might be?

Cheers

281 - 300 of 308 Posts