Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do white oaks drop every year? every other year? I have them scatterred all over and i'm wondering which ones to set-up on. I've tried to look for acorns in the trees, but it's difficult. :mad:

·
Registered
754 Posts
1. Not supposed to.

2. We use the every other year rule, but I've seen them go longer.

3. Not finding acorns is a could be a good thing.....I hoe and pray every day that we dont have an acorn crop this year. When there is no acorn crop and you do find an oak that is dropping "preferably a white oak" the deer will be more concentrated and imakes hunting so much easier. We have had a mass crop for a few years running and pattering deer after the crops are gone and the persimmons are gone is almost impossible.

·
Registered
403 Posts
white oaks drop every year some years less then others. red oaks drop every other year.

·
Bowhunter
5,209 Posts

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
The same Oaks will NOT produce every season. So many conditions and varibles effect the mast crop. We fertilize several with the tree spikes and they seem to produce a little better about every other year. I just read an article that does suggest an Oak will produce a good crop atleast every 3 to 5 years once the tree is 30 years old. After 30, an Oak can produce acorns for the next 200 years!!! :eek: :thumbs_up

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good grief, talk about your late bloomers (20-30 yrs)....
thanx for the info guys!

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
2 years ago my hunting area had a ton of them. Last year, nothing. This year it looks like it will be decent again. I was out looking for acorns last weekend and I was happy to see a good amount on the trees.

·
Registered
403 Posts
white oaks WILL probuce acorns EVERY year with a big mast crop roghly every 3 to 5 years. it only takes three months from flowering to an acorn on a white oak. a red oak does not have the ability to produce acorns every year it takes about 15 months from flowering to acorn production.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Depends in the tree

Dude608 said:
white oaks drop every year some years less then others. red oaks drop every other year.

White oaks, burr, swamp white oak post, and chestnut oak. all r in the white oak family and acorn production is different each year. usually every other yrs is a good yr. How ever there are white Oaks that will produce a bumper crop every yr. Make sure that tree is takin care of. As for the red oak, Pin oak, shingle oak all in the red oak family and have a steady crop of acorns every year. This fruit is prefered less by whitetails than the white Oak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts