Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a spot of a property I have access to that isn't very accessible....

Anyone here ever used no plow?

I'm interested on how it worked and what if any prep work you did.

Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Most "no plow" food plot seed mixs are 90% rye GRASS. Rye Grass is NOT a great deer attractant. If they have nothing else yea they'll eat it, but I wouldnt plant rye grass.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't plow any of my plots at all since it's tough to get equipment into my areas, I use brasicas, usually purple top and seven top and some sugar beets, just knock down the weeds with a weed-eater, rake all the stuff off then make sure I knock it won to the dirt and then rake again, rough it up a little with a garden weasel and broadcast by hand..... takes time but has been super effective for me so far, and since I have a wife and 2 young boys that like to help it makes it a little easier to carry everything in and out as well as good teamwork and family time.

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
I planted Whitetail Institutes no-plow and extreme clover this spring. The no-plow is mainly grass but it does grow very well and is simple to plant. If you have access to a rake, try the extreme. Its loaded with clover and the deer are loving it. Both the extreme and no-plow are pretty resilient to adverse conditions, but the deer prefer the clover with out question.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
They aren’t special seed. You can buy any clover, brassica, rye grain…… seed and they will grow just fine if they get soil contact and moisture. You do have to spread more seed than if you were going to turn the dirt over, because not every seed will germinate. I’m guessing you’d want to double the normal rate.

·
Registered
286 Posts
heres my little plot i did 2 weeks ago with no-plow
food plot.jpg
it a little section about 25 yrds from my stand in the corner
have all kinds of prints from deer to *****

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have found deer love rye grass in my area. It stays green longer and will grow almost anywhere. It is also cheap. 50# bag less than $20.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I have found deer love rye grass in my area. It stays green longer and will grow almost anywhere. It is also cheap. 50# bag less than $20.
Rye grass or rye grain? There’s big difference. Other than the high sugar varieties of rye grass, they’re mostly included to look pretty. I think you’re talking about rye grain.

·
shhhh.. slow down
9,409 Posts
Winter Rye or Cereal Rye (same thing) is what you want for a lot of reasons. Not Ryegrass.

Im trying a Winter Rye and Turnips combo this fall.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hmmm Colorado is tough because its so dry.

Really appreciate the feedback all!!
Over looked regulation in the book... It's ILLEGAL to hunt over a food plot in Colorado... Just a tip...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts