Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a break for about a year due to shoulder issues and now getting back into the swing of things.
Sold my Carbon Defiant Turbo and replaced it with a Carbon Defiant 34, 50 - 60 pounds set right at 60, with a 29.5" draw length.
Before I spend $100 plus on new arrows, I ran it through OT2 and AA Online to make sure I wasn't wasting my money. When I sold the CDT, the shafts went with it, which were Maxima Red SDs, in a mix of 250 and 350.
I have decided to go with Easton this time, and am bouncing between the 5mm Axis and FMJ. Shafts will be cut to 29 3/4", with a 125 grain head. Before I set them up, and decide whether or not to add 50 grain inserts, I thought I would run it by everyone here. As you can see from the images, OT2 and AA Online give greatly differing results (input values were identical)...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Well you have 267 FPS in AA and 246 in OT2...change AA to match. I don’t see you hitting 267 FPS if I had to guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
267 FPS is the value calculated by AA Online, not me.
I would have to agree that 267 is not a very likely number... even downhill with a tailwind.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
267 FPS is the value calculated by AA Online, not me.
I would have to agree that 267 is not a very likely number... even downhill with a tailwind.
Well change it to 246 and see what it says then. Should be a lot closer to optimum.

·
SMH
1,947 Posts
DL is longer in OT2
grains per lb is lower in OT2
TAW is 507.4 in OT2 (7 grains lighter than AA)
No added string weight in AA?
Which program has the correct gpi for the shaft?

Maybe make sure all inputs are identical before judging the comparison. You know the saying; GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Also on the AA chart, you have jaws release check. Unless your shooting off the string, check the tied loop option and that changes things a bunch. On another note, with that much weight up front and the legnth of your arrow, I believe 340 will be weak. I’m shooting close to the same set up but only 125 up front and I’m optimum on the stiff side. Choosing your arrows is pretty simple. Don’t get hung up on the program. Your headed in the right direction

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
I'll just throw this out there.......340/350's tune up perfectly for me at 60lbs with 125's, 30" shafts, 324 IBO bow, and even with a 32" draw length. So take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also on the AA chart, you have jaws release check. Unless your shooting off the string, check the tied loop option and that changes things a bunch. On another note, with that much weight up front and the legnth of your arrow, I believe 340 will be weak. I’m shooting close to the same set up but only 125 up front and I’m optimum on the stiff side. Choosing your arrows is pretty simple. Don’t get hung up on the program. Your headed in the right direction
Exactly what I am trying to do... I'm having the mental argument on getting 340s or 300s and I am trying to remove as much guess work as I can right now so I can least get the shafts headed this way. The joys of being right on the border between shaft sizes!
If you think this is bad, you see the brain cramps I am giving myself with arrows for my recurve! And of course, none is this is helped by the fact we just moved and all my stuff is still in boxes. My wife has her priorities all messed up and seems to think I should be dealing with house boxes instead of trying to figure this all out... :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Exactly what I am trying to do... I'm having the mental argument on getting 340s or 300s and I am trying to remove as much guess work as I can right now so I can least get the shafts headed this way. The joys of being right on the border between shaft sizes!
If you think this is bad, you see the brain cramps I am giving myself with arrows for my recurve! And of course, none is this is helped by the fact we just moved and all my stuff is still in boxes. My wife has her priorities all messed up and seems to think I should be dealing with house boxes instead of trying to figure this all out... :)
Same situation. Moved 2 weeks ago and finally setup 340s 6mm this past weekend. I’m 29” draw/68# shooting 262fps @ 510gr with 200gr up front. AA said optimum on weak side but bareshaft fine and shoot well out to 50 which is all I can do in my backyard.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"on the AA chart, you have jaws release check. Unless your shooting off the string, check the tied loop option and that changes things a bunch"

I did not even notice that... and you are right. I set it to tied loop and wow, what a difference.
It doesn't matter if I select Axis or FMJ, the 340 shows dead center on optimal and the 300 leaning towards stiff.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
The joys of being right on the border between shaft sizes!
When on the border I always go stiffer, but I don't believe you're even close to the border.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
I am shooting Easton Hexx because I hate the inserts on the skinny arrows. There are 4 weight choices for Hexx inserts, 9, 19, (aluminum) and 50/75 grains (brass) that break off.
I cut my ,260 spine shafts at 30" shooting 56 pounds with either the 75 grain inserts and a 150 grain broad head, or the 50 grain with a 175 grain insert.
I don't use a computer program, but I have shot 350 spine and 300 spine. The 350's were good up to 55 pounds with a 55 grain head for a perfect tune (bare shaft, fletched, and broad head hitting the same hole and perfect paper tune) the 300 spine was good up to 60 pounds with a 125 grain head. Both the 350 and 300 spine shafts were with a 56 grain half out on a .204" shaft. Fixed broad heads need a stiffer spine in my experience.
The .300" spine should be perfect for you with a 125g broad head and a 50 grain insert.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Axis made my iron will broadhead whistle...Fuji 5 mm much quieter.
If an arrow makes your broadheads whistle something is very wrong. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I could see if maybe the two were different spines and the weaker one was flexing too much.

·
Registered
270 Posts
my 60 CD Defiant shoots 268 fps with 400 aftermath arrows and 100 gr points. 28"dl

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts