Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Speed Thrills and Kills
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the processor we normally use is not doing deer this year so we are going to have to take ours to another proessor that is about 45 min drive away so we are thinking of getting stuff together to do our own...dont really know what all kinds of things we need other than a grinder...was lookin around on Cabelas website and they have a ton of diffrent stuff...what is some of the main stuff we would need to do it.....i know a grinder but was also thinkin one of the vacume sealer deals would be nice too.....any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
All you need is a grinder, stuffer if you want sausage, a sharp knife, cling wrap and freezer paper.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Deer Processing

Helps if you have two people I find. Gut it, hang it, skin it and Quarter it up first.
Then start de-boning - have one person cutting off the big chunks of meat and hand it to the next guy who cleans it up and cuts steaks.

A food saver system is great if you have one.

Here are some great videos on deer processing on you tube. Helped me a bunch. It's in 4 parts.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzYGBNDc_xU&feature=related

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cUvY9Ingwg&feature=related

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jNQw3Qga7M&NR=1

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD9lOOJnBMs&feature=related

Once you are done cutting it up, send me some backstraps...so I can make some Sweet and Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Backstrap Bites! Yum.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yup they pretty much summed it up for you. Only thing I saw missing was a knife sharpener. It doesnt hurt to have multiple types of knives either.

·
Time is ticking away
2,222 Posts
If you buy the manual grinder from Cabela's get the biggest one possible. I also will stuff the sausage. I've been doing mine for several years. I get a much better product than I ever got from a processor. I also know what I get is mine.
Good luck,

·
Registered
57 Posts
we have been doing all our own processing for a few years now. you don't really need much, a grinder, large cutting board, some decent knives and a large table. We use a 4x8 sheet of plywood on saw horses covered in plastic, lots of room to work, The grinder we use is a cheap one and works great especially if you take the time to remove the fat and sinew. the best part is there are no more bad butcher jobs. We have now have smokers and are making our own jerky and sausage.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Saw, cutting boards, boning knife, freezer paper and tape.
To elaborate on saw both band saw...for cutting steaks outta frozen hind quarters, and a meat saw for quartering and splitting the deer in half. Other than that lots of freezer bags, the things stated above and a shed that offers some privacy as some people are extreme snoopers and then get pissed when they see something they really wish they hadnt. We have been doing it forever...I have not taken a single deer to the processor in the 11years ive been hunting and its been 30+ for my father since the first deer he took hes done it all himself....its saves money, time and its quite enjoyable and satisfying doing it all yourself.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Been doing my own for years- all I have used up till now is a folding hunting knife, a fixed blade hunting knife, and a fillet knife, plus freezer bags that I put the meat in, fill to tip top with water, zip shut and freeze.
The water prevents freezer burn completely.
Only drawback is the added volume in freezer from ice around meat.
Getting my brother's vacuum sealer this year- he got new one.
All of the meat I guess would be ground up I just use for stew meat.
Nothing like homemade venison stew with lots of garlic on cold, moist days-good stuff- medicinal!
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
While it is not a necessity, I have found the cuber to be one of the best things I have ever purchased.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
We've always done our own. Did send some to the butcher to have hot dogs made up one year...another year had jerky made...until we we made our own jerky last year.

We do our own butchering, after we let them hang and age a bit...choice cuts get wrapped in freezer paper and labeled...other stuff gets ground into hamburger meat and we also made kielbasi and jerky last year...got some seasoning from the butcher.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
We do all of our own processing of the meat, except for the making of the sausages and pepperettes. When I take the meat to the shop it is all cleaned an ready to go. The butcher just love to see us come as He has told us in the past that we do the cleanest job of the meat that he has ever seen.

Matt

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
Keep it simple

You don't need the vacuum sealer - you can use wax paper and tape. And you don't need to spend big $$ on the burger machines either. In the past, we have brought our burger meat to local butchers who do the whole lot in their machines for $5 and about a day's wait. Save your money to spend on your next Mathews or something.

·
Registered
53 Posts
did it for the first time last year

being a noob to processing it took me about 6 hours to butcher, and shrink wrap and grind my deer. I took all the meat off, and surprisingly I got a lot more meat than when I have it done.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Plus the fact that you are going to clean and take care of the meat
with more diligence than a commercial butcher who is doing hundreds of deer

·
Registered
610 Posts
Once you start doing you own you will wonder why you didn't start sooner. The first animal will be a learning experience and you will get better and more efficient each time.

Also I have had good luck with the Ziplock freezer bags. If they will be in the freezer more than a couple of months just wrap them in freezer paper.

The cutting board I use is actually part of a counter top that I got from a cabinet shop. It is the part of the counertop that is cut out for the kitchen sink. alot of places will just give them to you.

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
meat

That's funny, I actually get a lot more meat when I get it processed. I'm just not as good as they are. They are more experienced, fast and thorough than me. Maybe I just have an awesome butcher. That's why I stopped doing it myself a few years ago.

·
Registered
753 Posts
All you need is a hand saw, knives, freezer paper, and know how.

I would get a good grinder, a good powerful grinder is worth its weight in gold and will last forever if you take care of it properly.

Vacuum sealers are great, but not completely necessary. I have one though, sure does keep anything you put in it in great shape!

You can look at www.midwesternresearch.com, they are an industrial/home butcher supply store. I get everything from them, and the torrey grinders they have are beasts. Their spices if you get into doing your own smoking and processing are top knotch too. For me its 1 day shipping on everything because I am only 3 hours from their warehouse, but everything i have ordered has gone out the same day.

Biggest time saver you will get is get a meat bagging tube for the end of your grinder and bag taper.

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
$$ Made of $$

All you need is a hand saw, knives, freezer paper, and know how.

I would get a good grinder, a good powerful grinder is worth its weight in gold and will last forever if you take care of it properly.

Vacuum sealers are great, but not completely necessary. I have one though, sure does keep anything you put in it in great shape!

You can look at www.midwesternresearch.com, they are an industrial/home butcher supply store. I get everything from them, and the torrey grinders they have are beasts. Their spices if you get into doing your own smoking and processing are top knotch too. For me its 1 day shipping on everything because I am only 3 hours from their warehouse, but everything i have ordered has gone out the same day.

Biggest time saver you will get is get a meat bagging tube for the end of your grinder and bag taper.
I guess you guys are made of $$. Those grinders are hundreds of dollars. I can get all the meat I want ground to burger for $5/deer. That's a lot of deer to make up for the machine and I don't have to maintain it or clean it either.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts