Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of posts about people who didn't have a good year.....

I cut waaaaaaaaay back on the amount of time I hunted this year and had one of my best seasons in a long time. I had fun!!!!! It didn't seem like work and I didn't get burned out. I just didn't take things so serious this year.

Went from hunting close to 100 days out there last year to an embarrasing low number this year. I'm even cutting it short due to a couple broken ribs. A MN doe tag is going unfilled. Funny thing, I don't care! I know I could go shoot another deer but I'm leaving this season on a high note. Had a great time with friends and the Iowa trip was one of the best ever, despite being a man down. Shot some deer and just had a really good time, when other things in life were not so great.

Hunting and friends = good life therapy:)

Anyone else enjoy their 2009 hunting season?

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I had a good year I killed my best buck to date with a bow right here in my home state of Oklahoma and had a 160" 25yds from me in Kansas I didnt close the deal due to cover but was exciting non the less. Overall sightings were down but still consider it a great year cause I am alive and hunting cant ask for much more...

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I enjoy every season , got me some meat and a few tags left over. And now I have heard we have safe ice conditions soooooo Sunday I am gonna go catch some fish threw the ice. The deer will be back agin next year !

Crazy Wolf

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had a great year so far.6 does and one buck here in Tn.not my best year by far but got the freezer full.not worried so much about antlers this year.Needed the meat.times are tough.Made me think why I hunt.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I enjoy every season , got me some meat and a few tags left over. And now I have heard we have safe ice conditions soooooo Sunday I am gonna go catch some fish threw the ice. The deer will be back agin next year !

Crazy Wolf
Good luck, it's definitely been cold enough to make ice out there.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I two had my best year todate i took a huge moose and my second biggest whitetail and only hunted twice. I killed my moose on the first day of my hunt and killed my deer on the first day of that hunt.

Hey is taht the Moose in the pic ? Congrats!

Crazy Wolf

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Great year for me.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You ice fish mn5503 ?

Crazy Wolf
Yep, if there's no snow to ride the sled, I'll drink beer and hang out in the icehouse. My buddy just built a new spear house so I'll probably stare into the water for hours on end this year hoping a big nort'n comes by.

Some of these ice houses are getting out of control. Bathrooms, kitchens, bedrooms you name it. It's more like camping now!

·
Thunder Chicken Assassin
1,675 Posts
Killed my biggest buck, my first black bear, and my first elk......it was a fine year!!

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
Great year here. Shot two bucks this year - one bow one rifle. Bost were my largest bucks to date. Couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Yep, if there's no snow to ride the sled, I'll drink beer and hang out in the icehouse. My buddy just built a new spear house so I'll probably stare into the water for hours on end this year hoping a big nort'n comes by.

Some of these ice houses are getting out of control. Bathrooms, kitchens, bedrooms you name it. It's more like camping now!

:mg: I would like to see how a Texan builds a Icehouse. That would be some funny stuff right there. :set1_fishing:

You guys catch any Perch ?

Crazy wolf

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I will consider this year a success. I am hunting this year with a bow for the first time. I got a nice 7 point buck and let a nicer 8 point walk right under me a couple weeks later. I do want another deer for the freezer before we are done, Jan 31.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
My son and I had a great year!
He got his first bow kill and I filled my tag too.
We got off on the wrong foot with elk and never really got back on track.
We were looking for bigger bucks when we normaly would have been scouting for elk.

Overall a good year!:)

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
2 deer, a buck and a doe. 1 coyote. Great times and still more hunting to go. Season ends 17 Jan.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts