Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a little testing today. I have a '05 switchback 70#'s, 30" draw and with my hunting arrows( Goldtip 75/95 28.5" with 100 gr. Muzzy's approximately 420 gr.) I still get 285-290 fps!! I shot at 30 yards using 20 and 30 yard pin and there was only 1-1 1/2" difference. I'm thinking of getting rid of 30 yard pin and move 20 yard one down to a 25 yard pin. In theory i should only be 3/4-1" off either way. Then I shot 35 yards using 20 yard pin and it was 3-4 in low which would only be around 2" with a 25 yard pin. I will keep a 40 yard pin for sure. The other thing is that I'm shooting a Cobra Sidewinder Radiant which I really like but it has .029 pins which really block alot of target with a 20 and 30 yard pins. Thanks, Todd

·
Registered
329 Posts
why not

25, 35, 40, 45

If you are going to move the top pin to 25 yards, why not make the second 35? this will take any confusion out of the equation for you. doing a 25, 40 or any other combination gives you too much play.

Base it off of your shot in your tree stand or blind, if you are going to have longer distance shots then obviously you have to sight in for those distances. I shoot an 06 allegiance and my top pin shoots high at 20, right on at 25 and a smidge low at 30. from there I go 35, 40, 45, 50 with my spot hogg hogg it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I do and my differences in POI are about the same as yours. I'm going to keep the 30 yd pin because honestly, I don't know what I'll do with the other pins! Really, thats the only reason otherwise I'd just hold a hair high at 30. My sight has 5 pins, that gets me out to 60 yds. I don't plan on ever taking a 60 yd shot on anything alive. I guess I could remove them and clean up the sight picture. Hmmmmm.....

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
question...

How high are you at 10 yards? 15? In order for your setup to be hitting that way, seems you might be quite high at yardages less than 20 yards.....

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pins

Don't really know Jack. I really don't shoot less than 20 yards, i think i have before and it was around 1-2" high at real close distances.(?) I also thought that I could just set one for 30 yards and be within 1-2" to 35 yards and then keep the 40 yarder. The pins remove easy enough, just take the cap off and the fibers will pull out, getting it back in is another story!

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
For years I hunted with one pin only. That was prior to my out west hunting where longer shots are the norm. Also it was prior to modern day range finders. So my shots were limited to around 30 yards and in.
The key was to know where your arrow hits regardless of the distance or angle. I have killed Trophy animals at ranges from 2 yds to 84 yards.
I'm not sure one is harder than the other.
I limit my shots at 50 to 60 yards anymore and conditions have to be perfect, and that just doesn't happen very often.
The key with any setup you have is knowing what it will do in any given situation:)

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
I am using a Vital Bow Gear Pro Fix Angle. I am 1" high at 20 and can aim dead on at 30 and I drop just a tad at 40. I am shooting Gold Tip 7595 28" with 125 grain Hypershocks and 125 Slick Trick Mags.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
its not all that un common, however.. my top pin is 30 yards, next is 40, then 50... with next to no pin gap (like barely any light inbetween pins)

on our 3d deer target when have shot through the center so many times we have a hole clear through the size of a golf ball, so we have up stirofoam blocks up behind the target until we get a new core.. anyways with my top pin i can put an arrow straight through the whole just about everytime(leavin room for the occasional flyer) aiming dead on at 5,10,15,20,25,30, and 32

i am shooting a hoyt turbotec,30"draw 70# with 385 grain arrows. my sight is just a copperjohn hunter 3 pin (nothing fancy). it amazes people i shoot with who look at my pins.. and especially after they find out that top pin is 30.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I always have set my bow up in the past for 20.30.40 but last year I switched to the trophy ridge pendelum and it is dead on from 10-32 yards. I also shoot a switchback. 296 fps:tongue:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Interesting thread.

I had been shooting since January (new bow) with 20-30-40 pins. I broke my sight a few weeks ago. I also bought a VBG with angled pins (love it,so far) and changed from 7595's to Carbon Tech Rhinos.

After the changes, (10Gr lighter, little stiffer) I found my pin set at 20 was high at 15 and low at 25. I changed my pins to 15-25-35, top is dead on from 10-20yds, center is on from 20-30 and I'm still working on that bottom pin, LOL.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
My copper john came with 5 pins and i immediatly took three of them off.
My bow will shoot to within about an inch or so from 5 yards out to 25 and then it drops about two inches to 30 yards.

My two pins are set at 20 and 30 yards. I could actually use one single pin at 25 and just compensate but i like knowing that i am going to hit where the pin is. It will leave me with no reason to make excuses on a failed shot.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'm getting low to mid 280s out of my bow. I have my Hogg-it extended to the point it centers in my peep sight. Where my peep sight is comfortable I have plenty of distance between my pins. If I were to lower my peep sight and bring in my sight ring then, my pins come together. But my accuracy suffers. My pins are set at 20,30,35,40 & 45 yards. I have some stands where thats about as far as I can shoot. I practice pin gapping for 25 yards, but anything over that I want a pin to be dead on. I guess its my comfort zone.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have my three pins at 20,30, and 40 out of my Bowtech Liberty @ 285 fps. The 20 and 30 yard pins are only different by a few millimeters. I could easily have one pin to thirty, but I don't have anywhere to shoot a measured 50 yards, so I just leave it at 20, 30, and 40.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
My sight has 6 pins i removed 4 of them. My top pin is good out to 25 & my second is good to 35. I dont take shots that are over 30yds.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pins

I think i'm leaning towards having just a 30 yard pin and a 40 yard pin. Problem is the Cobra arranges their pins top to bottom green/red/yellow. Green and yellow I see great and the red wont slide below the yellow so it has to come out. Red pin is harder for me to see. I could put it back in below the yellow but it is tough. Thanks again, Todd

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I'm going the 2 pin route this year set at 20 and 30 even though I'm only shooting 250 fps. I can shoot very accurately out to 40 with this setup. I will hold on the top of the back at 40.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
my bow shoots 285 fps, and the 20 pin is 3 inches low at 30. I should mention that I shoot a spott hogg hogg it with the extension bar all the way out. this helps gap the pins wider so you have a more definate pin gap. I have the pins set out to 60.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I thought of changing my pin gap but I've killed 35 deer using 20,30,40,and so on and I'm afraid I'll revert back to it at crunch time if I change :confused:
Starting at 25 would be great as fast as the new breed of bows are.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ttt

Thanks for all the advice

1 - 20 of 27 Posts