Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a play off of the "Meat" thread. THere was one who voted for bear as the best but they made no comments.
Who has eaten bear and what does the taste/texture resemble? Please don't say chicken:wink:

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
There was one who voted for bear as the best but they made no comments.
I remember that thread. I'm sure the vote for bear meat was a joke. I've never eaten it, but everyone I've spoken to who has said it is greasy and not a pleasant experience. But they make nice rugs.

Ray

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I tried black bear but I don't care for it. It was too lean for me.

·
Guipago
3,090 Posts
I had some smoked bear that a friend of mine put in some stew he made and Holy Cow was it good! I think a lot of it is how it's prepared.:tongue:

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I dunno all the bear I've ate has been good...the tenderloins are very good.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i've had it once, its actually not that bad, IF it is prepared right, and not one that hangs around dumps or anything like that, but other than that it tastes good and IMO up there with venison

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Once you eat good bear you will pass up deer anytime. Bear is my favourite. I am telling you that anyone that tells you it is greasy... doesn't want to share their bear meat. Like all wild game bear needs ALL the fat removed and the "silver skin" membrane removed also. I prefer bear in the slow cooker as that makes it very tender.... it can be tough in the oven. It tastes exactly like good roast beef. I have prepared it for Christmas along with Turkey and all my family and friends love it. It also makes the best summer sausage.... period! I prefer not to hang bear once shot for very long. I get it home... fat removed and cut up ASAP.

There you have it.... bear meat is awesome!!!!!

Chris

·
Stick Flinger
819 Posts
I've eaten bear a few times. Summer sausage and jerkey. I little greasy but that just lubes up the arteries to help blood flow smoother:wink:. I plan on tryin a few recipes on my hopefull spring bear.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
If cooked right it's great. I have mine done in roast, Sausage, burger. The roast taste simular to beef roast but better. The burger is the best I've had. Little garlic and lowerys season salt and a barbbi. The sausage is good to. Bottom line is all on how it's cooked.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
I've had it in bear stew "it was black bear" and I loved it...I thought it tasted really good in the stew. I've never eaten bear by itself though.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I've ate bear also, if you get a high country bear they are delicious. As far as the greasy comment, I haven't noticed that at all, when I cut it up I remove all the fat, no different than I would for a deer, segment all the muscle segments and remove all the silver skin, grissle etc.

The meat is dark in color with a coarse grain but it has NO wild taste and is quite tender. I haven't eatin any large boars, maybe that would be different?

Avoid bears around salmon streams, garbage dumps and in the spring skunk cabage and you will be suprized at how good they are.

PS I would vote #1 if it was always a high country bear, I voted elk for consitently producing good taste, bear would be #2 for me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
bear

Two of my hunting buddies and I had the same experience off two different bears. Love the taste, crapped like a goose within hours. Good steak texture, kinda greasy but thats not the right description. For what its worth I'll eat it again.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I remember that thread. I'm sure the vote for bear meat was a joke. I've never eaten it, but everyone I've spoken to who has said it is greasy and not a pleasant experience. But they make nice rugs.

Ray
+ 1 - Got a bear in NF and the meat was HORRIBLE - The bear rug is GREAT!!!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I must say I am finding the responses surprising. The "crapped like a goose" line was hilarious. But it got me to thinking, a bunch of my buddies SWEAR that Ross and Snow goose taste horrible. I can't tell you how many times they have smacked on it, licking their lips with every bite at my house when they thought that they were eating Canadian goose.
I think sometimes you get good and sometimes you get funky. Whatever the game may be, the age and their diet can make it taste different. I think now I will be willing to try bear though:tongue:

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
The Bear I've had has been awsome. That said I have heard that coastal and fish eating bears can be bad, which I beleive is why you don't have to salvage meat in Alaska.

The bear I've had has been from MT. and tastes like a combination of pork and beef, leaning more toward the beef. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts