Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
last year i shot a doe on the last day of season and footage showed it was a solid double lung shot but we tracked here 3 and 1/2 miles and the blood dried up and we never found her ... lets hear your stories about your lost deer :cry:

·
Registered
541 Posts
ILLbowhunter111 said:
last year i shot a doe on the last day of season and footage showed it was a solid double lung shot but we tracked here 3 and 1/2 miles and the blood dried up and we never found her ... lets hear your stories about your lost deer :cry:
In the fall of 1990, during my senior year of high school, I shot a real nice buck. I put a good hit on it (i THOUGHT) and left it go for an hour ( first valuable lesson learned there). Had a real nice blood trail for a long ways , but then the blood was less and less. That is when you get that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. Then it just quit bleeding. My buddy and I missed the next day of school looking for that buck. We did circle upon circle and never found it:mad: . It still bothers me to this day.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Impossible, You can't cut through both lungs and have the deer go 3 1/2 miles and not recover it...period. I am sure that the footage looked like it took both lungs, but Not to be an A.H. but it doesn't add up.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I hit a doe high last season, and I couldn't find any blood at all. She ran into a thicket and I never could find her. I spent several hours in that thicket and came out with nothing but a bad case of poison ivy. It's a bad feeling when it happens.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I haven't shot a deer with a bow yet, But these post aint doing anything for my confidence:eek: .

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Greg said:
Impossible, You can't cut through both lungs and have the deer go 3 1/2 miles and not recover it...period. I am sure that the footage looked like it took both lungs, but Not to be an A.H. but it doesn't add up.
Greg,
It certainly IS possible. I've seen it, and heard of it, I've even seen a pic of a deer with a very identifiable broadhead scar on the side of her body, who was shot by member here, and never recovered, only to be seen again the next spring with fawns. Believe it or Not, it can happen. I shot a nice buck 2 yrs ago this way, in the area, commonly called "No Man's Land." Sadly, been there, done that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sorry:embara: . But every bowhunter that I have ever talked to has at one time or other wounded a deer and never recovered it. It happens to most bowhunters sooner or later it seems:sad: .

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
SEOBowhntr said:
Greg,
It certainly IS possible. I've seen it, and heard of it, I've even seen a pic of a deer with a very identifiable broadhead scar on the side of her body, who was shot by member here, and never recovered, only to be seen again the next spring with fawns. Believe it or Not, it can happen. I shot a nice buck 2 yrs ago this way, in the area, commonly called "No Man's Land." Sadly, been there, done that.

No, it certainly is NOT possible. 99% of deer shot through just one lung will not live. If an arrow is ran through both lungs, it causes severe hemmorhaging, and both lungs to collapse. AKA the deers lungs don't work, AKA he can't breathe. That means he's gonna die, PERIOD.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
you guys dont need to argue. there is an article in latest edition of bowhunter that explains how a deer shot in the lungs can recover and not die ( they did say it was rare) but it can happen. i shot one a couple years back that jumped the string bad i hit a little far back but drastically quartering away i figured i got one lung and liver. never to be found. i looked for 4 days, searched for miles, never found arrow or doe. makes ya think about your equipment.made me switch to carbon arrows

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I hit a doe two years ago in "no mans land". It's above the lungs and below the spine. Nothing but muscle there. I had a complete pass through. Good blood for about 100 yards but it was just muscle blood, no bubbles. I got on her to quick....about an hour after the shot. Lost all signs, blood, prints, etc at about 600 yards.......search for her for the rest of that day and next.......found nothing. It was warm the next few days so i figured the wound would have become infected and she died like that............i only hope she bleed out and died quickly in a thicket though.

It really tore me up. To the point i considered hangin up the bow. I hate to waste meat. Someone explained that the meat certainly didn't go to waste. Forest critters would scavange one it for weeks.

It's tough to not recover an animal. But it happens, ESPECIALLY with pointed sticks!

·
Registered
270 Posts
miss

i shot two bear and two pope and young bucks last season did not find any of them. the worst season of my life. everyone was a differant mechanical issue with my bow or the rest or my release. before this i only wounded two animals in my life. this season i changed everything. stay away from those drop zones guys.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Why on Gods green earth would you answer a thread like this it serves no good purpose!!!!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Two years ago I lost a doe. It was definately my fault and not the equipment. Quartering away, she took a step that left her quartering a little too much and I tried to "squeeze" it in. I hit too far forward...good blood but no deer. That experience completely changed my thought process when hunting with a bow. I will never again compromise when it comes to shot selection. Does that guarantee a 100% recovery rate...nope, but it guarantees my peace of mind. Just one more step in my own eveolution as a hunter and a person.

"No, it certainly is NOT possible. 99% of deer shot through just one lung will not live. If an arrow is ran through both lungs, it causes severe hemmorhaging, and both lungs to collapse. AKA the deers lungs don't work, AKA he can't breathe. That means he's gonna die, PERIOD."

Many things are impossible until they happen. Speaking in absolutes is dangerous stuff.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I hit a doe two years ago in "no mans land". It's above the lungs and below the spine. Nothing but muscle there.
There is no muscle between the lungs and spine - unless it is some unknown "mutant"
deer.

Steve

·
Registered
94 Posts
I shot a doe last year. I thought I had a lung shot, but it turns out it was probably a little further back. Never recovered her. It was Oct 3. Still had leaves on the trees and had good blood for about 50 yds. Then dried up. I figured it was a gift for the coyotes.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Quit replying to this thread is serves no good purpose but to fuel antihunting comments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
WATERFOWLER said:
Quit replying to this thread is serves no good purpose but to fuel antihunting comments

WHO THE HECK ARE YOU TO TELL PEOPLE WHAT POSTS THEY CAN AND CAN'T RESPOND TOO. CHANGE YOUR NAME TO GOD............................

·
Registered
301 Posts
Happened to me...

Last time it happened to me I sold all my archery stuff and didn't step in the woods to 2 years...I was sick as a dog...bothers me to talk about it to this day...:embara:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Never

None that I want to talk about.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree

WATERFOWLER said:
I agree with you, some things are better kept to your self. You don't have to tell everything.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts