Votes: 205 96.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 3.3%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got to thinking how much easier it is to connect on big bucks with the use of trailcams. Not that they put them in front of you and all you have to do is shoot. But the fact that they tell you they are out there frequenting your area. Thus helping you to pass those "tweener" bucks.

I believe it was around the late 90's when Trailcams hit the market(I think the camtrakker was the first). I had one, and no it didn't instantly help me to start killing big bucks. But it told me in most cases what size bucks was walking around my hunting area. This helped me to let the medium sized bucks walk, the ones I had been shooting. I began holding out for these bigger bucks, and occasionally tagging a few.

I know this is going to rub some the wrong way, but I don't intend to tee anyone off. Also, since baiting has became legal and popular in my home state. I've noticed that the art of scouting seems to be getting diluted. Yes, I feed/bait but haven't been very successful at taking animals over bait. Rather it has been a tool to draw deer to a certain spot to help take trailcam pics to help tell me whats in the area. Occasionally I've taken a doe near a feeder or over corn, but don't really enjoy hunting like that as much.

I remember when bowhunting consisted of scouting. Looking for droppings, current food sources, spotlighting(to see deer, it use to be legal as long as you had no weapon), driving around in the evenings seeing deer in the fields. Back then where I hunt a buck that made P&Y minimum was a "GIANT"! Now it seems it has to be 140-150" to be a "good" buck.

Nobody ever heard of leasing hunting land. Most anyone would give permission to bowhunt. About all the men and boys in every family gun hunted. And the local check-in station was a huge meeting place during gun season to meet for lunch to talk about the "big" ones that got away. Everyone looked at the list to see who had got a buck.

Not sure if times have changed that much or if I just think they have. My, my how things have changed in the last 20 years!

·
74,535 Posts
Im old enough to remember.

Trail cameras to me have been the number one thing to improve your chances of finding a big buck.
DB

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I was hunting when all we had were sting trackers that you stretched out and if a deer walked through it, it broke and told you the direction the deer traveled. Now that was high tech.

·
bowonlywhitetails
16,757 Posts
Running cams is about as fun as hunting for me now.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
I was hunting when all we had were sting trackers that you stretched out and if a deer walked through it, it broke and told you the direction the deer traveled. Now that was high tech.
I still have 1. I got my first hunting license in 1979. Killed a couple rabbits squirrel ground hogs and crow with my plastic recurve few years before that. I feel technology has helped this sport grow to what it is today but I also feel it has tainted it a bit too though.

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I still have 1. I got my first hunting license in 1979. Killed a couple rabbits squirrel ground hogs and crow with my plastic recurve few years before that. I feel technology has helped this sport grow to what it is today but I also feel it has tainted it a bit too though.
Got my first license in 1962

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
trail cams....you learn to love them, then want to beat them to death.

was hunting before them, as for baiting, i'm not that old. :lol:

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remember those! had a little digital watch on them that when the string came out it stopped the watch so you could tell what time they were coming through

I still have 1. I got my first hunting license in 1979. Killed a couple rabbits squirrel ground hogs and crow with my plastic recurve few years before that. I feel technology has helped this sport grow to what it is today but I also feel it has tainted it a bit too though.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trail cams....you learn to love them, then want to beat them to death.

was hunting before them, as for baiting, i'm not that old. :lol:
yeah, but your from Texas! The Texas cavemen even had feeders!;)

·
JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,079 Posts
I got my first trail cam last yr... Also my first P&Y The camer kept me in a set I would have left months early.

As far as baiting. IMO man has always baited! find somthing they frequent or make somthing they will frequent and hunt it!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Still don't use one, and probably won't until I have some land of my own to put one up on. For me part of the fun is NOT knowing what might come by my stand!

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
yeah, but your from Texas! The Texas cavemen even had feeders!;)
that's what i mean....so i could only answer the trail cam question. :chortle:

·
74,535 Posts
Running cams is about as fun as hunting for me now.
Fun but sure is aggravating when the bucks shows up ever morning except when your there. Let me know I stink!

I was driven after getting pictures of big buck last year. Worse than any addiction. I got though, good thing not sure I wasnt wearing down.
DB
DB

·
Registered
733 Posts
I was around. I still don't do either one. Have tried trail cams, had one stolen and didn't really enjoy using the others. Have had good success without them.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
It seemed more fun back it the day b/c you didn't know what you would see out there. I run cams now but it's getting to be too serious for me, like I failed if I don't get one of my better bucks. Then it was me and my woods wit against an mysterious animal. If I got a good one it was awesome, if I didn't it was just hunting and was still just good old fashioned challenge.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Just curious if you have cameras hung and you only get few doe on them does it make it hard to sit daylight till dark in the area? Maybe the bucks just didn't pass in front of camera or maybe there is no bucks in the area.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my thoughts are a lot of the "newer" generation aren't really developing very good "hunting" and woodsmanship skills.

The hardest part of the hunt, is "hunting" for the best place to dump a bag of corn out that you can drive a vehicle to.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Even if they had trail cameras when I started deer hunting I wouldn't have one, if I had the money to spend it would have been on a tree stand. Climbing a tree and standing on a limb got old.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts