Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up in southeast Iowa. I left the land of the giants for Missouri what a mistake hunting wise. My buddy called me all bent out of shape saying that Iowa is now going to an early Shotgun season around thanksgiving and a late Rifle season for doesin Jan.
How many bowhunters are going to be dodging slugs around thanksgiving and how many Bucks will die during doe season. I have a feeling that the deer will be hunted with rifles like they do with shotguns (Drive, block and burn gun powder.)

·
Registered
280 Posts
In a bad effort to control the "Out of Control deer herd". The DNR and NRC has implimented a thanksgiving any weapon but high power doe only weekend for the counties that have tags left over after Nov 12th. That's right, during the bow season. I can be sitting in my stand in full camo, and have all other hunters and weapons around me, driving and pushing deer! Not to mention, phesant hunters, turkey hunters, trappers, quail hunters, etc.....
The high power season is in the middle of January, for the southern two tiers of counties in Iowa. Good luck finding hunting ground, so Iowa is land locked! This is for Shed Deer, I mean doe only, for this year only! haha

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds wild

Iowa has done it right for years. Keeping the Gun hunters out of the timber untill the first part of Dec. Letting the deer rut naturally except for a few arrows here and there. Missouri on the other hand love to shoot deer in the rut. I think this is to keep the harvest number up.
Look at the quality diff. between Iowa and Missouri.
ps been to CIA and that is a nice bow shop. My friend worked there two yrs ago.

·
Trophy Nanny Hunter
2,448 Posts
Come to Minnesota...it's even worse. The first gun season starts the first weekend of November. In the area I hunt from Nov 5 - Dec 18 you can hunt 1, yes 1, weekend where there is not a gun season going on. Gun seasons during peak rut, party hunting, constant drives, etc etc. It is a complete joke and the DNR refuses to even consider changing things. Up through the mid 80s I believe MN had the most # of all-time B&C entries. Now I bet we aren't even in the top 5 anymore.

Iowa has done it right for years, hopefully they don't screw things up too much for you guys.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I will say this.... something probably does need to be done about the "overpopulation" of deer in sothern Iowa. I will give the DNR the benefit of the doubt there, BUT...... the way they are doing it is TOTALLY BUNK. As stated above, deer management here in Iowa has been quite well up until late.
#1, you do not have a high power rifle season the last week of January......if you are going to have it, it should be the first week in Jan. to eliminate the possibility of shooting shed bucks. Alot of 2006/2007 trophy bucks will be killed.
#2, if it were really about reducing the does, instead of the State making dollars, you could purchase a doe tag and it would be good for any season until it was filled. Heck, as it is now, if you early muzzle load, you can still not shot-gun hunt, even just for does......does that make sense? No. $$$$$
Bottom line: talk to some hunters and get their ideas, Iowa. There are ways to reduce the heard and make money too.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I agree, this is totally BUNK! :mad:
Iowa does have a huge deer population and it should be controlled, but adding seasons and adding new weapons to kill deer is ridiculous!
If they would allow a certain number of "any sex" tags, say 2 to be purchased for any season you specify i.e. 2 for bow, 1bow 1shotgun, 1 early muzzleloader 1 bow, etc. Then any other tags you wan to purchase have to be doe tags and let you buy as many doe tags in as many seasons as you want. That I could understand and be happy with. But as it is, figuring out what combination of tags you can have is too difficult a process. If I want to bow hunt, early muzzleloader, shotgun, late muzzleloader all in the same season I should be able to. Provided that only 2 of those tags could be used on bucks. That would be one hell of a lot more incentive to Iowa hunters than this crappy high power season and the anti bowhunting statement of the November season. The whole thing SUCKS and I've been trying to get anyone in the DNR hierarchy to listen, without any luck!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I hate the new seasons. Terrible ideas both. The after Thanksgiving season will see many bucks shot a week early, guaranteed. Not many guys are going to pass on a monster buck with a shotgun in their hands if they are hunting private property, the temptation will be too great and the odds of getting caught too low. The January season should definitely be renamed "shed antler bucks" season. Lots of them go down during the late muzzleloader season as it is, and the late bonus doe season is even worse.

Many don't like the idea, but I would be in favor of an earn-a-buck situation in Iowa for year or two to lower the doe population. Shoot a doe to get your buck tag. You have to MAKE people shoot does if you want to lower the population, not just offer extra doe tags. I see way too many doe tags being bought and not filled simply because you can get your second and third doe tags for only $11. Maybe they could give you your money back for filling a doe tag, that would see more does killed for sure. They don't make the extra money, but the population problem would be solved, and which do they consider more important? The extra money, that what.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The whoile problem with Southern Iowa is Land Access. They are so land locked down there, I dont care what season you institute, cannon ball season, gatlin gun season, or mack truck season. If you cannot get on the land to hunt, what is the point. The DNR says it is to promote more types of hunting deer to get more people involved. Ok, where are they supposed to hunt at. Iowa only has 1% of its grounds being public. Here is what it will cost me this year:

General hunting license: $26.00
Habitat Stamp $5 or $8
Deer Anysex Archery $26.00
Deer Archery Doe $26.00 1st tag
Deer Archery Doe $11.00 2nd tag and any after that
Special Deer Zone $26.00 1st tag
Special Deer Zone $11.00 2nd tag and any after that
Late Muzzleloader $26.00 1st tag
Late Muzzleloader $11.00 if there are any tags left.
Fall Turkey $26.00

This is going by last years prices, have not looked up this years yet.

*** Yeah, they really want the herd reduced. Try dropping the prices, and more people would harvest more deer.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
MN Doe Hunter said:
Come to Minnesota...it's even worse. The first gun season starts the first weekend of November. In the area I hunt from Nov 5 - Dec 18 you can hunt 1, yes 1, weekend where there is not a gun season going on. Gun seasons during peak rut, party hunting, constant drives, etc etc. It is a complete joke and the DNR refuses to even consider changing things. Up through the mid 80s I believe MN had the most # of all-time B&C entries. Now I bet we aren't even in the top 5 anymore.

Iowa has done it right for years, hopefully they don't screw things up too much for you guys.

If you look into this a little closer, the DNR is actually for changes in Minnesota. The problem is the hunters don't want any change. Surveys implying changes toward more of a Quality Deer Management program have been almost completely shot down by those answering. Of course, you and I probably never got he survey; I know I didn't. I would be all for some drastic changes in Minnesota's rules. Until then, we will continue to see bucks taken at 1 1/2 years every year. It appears that most(again, not you and I) hunters feel that shooting a doe is akin to riding your little sisters bike. There are a few around my hunting zone that refuse to take a doe, even though you can take 4 bonus does every year. And to add to that, will scoff at those of us that do take the does.

Supporting link...http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/outdoor_activities/hunting/deer/2004nwdeerhuntersurvey.pdf

What is really interesting about his survey is that most hunters indicated they would like to see regulations that would increase buck population and quality, but when responding to specific means of doing this most strongly disagreed. So in NW Minnesota according to this data, hunters want more and better buck populations, but expect it to just materialize without changes to they way we hunt?

·
Registered
696 Posts
It's too bad that the states that have "had it right" are going to go ahead and screw up their seasons too. I can tell you from my experiences here in Maine that having gun hunters in the woods during the rut ruins the whole experience. Unfortunetly here in Maine the firearms hunters "rule the roost" so to speak with a full month of firearm hunting during the entire month of November, then that is immediately followed by two weeks of muzzleloader hunting in December. Archery only season is during October with the woods usually full of bird/small game hunters. Shortening the firearms season to a week or two (say first two weeks of December) and allowing everyone to shoot does during those two weeks would still produce a good harvest while allowing more bucks to survive and providing a better hunting experience for archers during the rut. I think we should implement antler point restrictions as well but that will never be accepted here either. It's too bad that the firearms seasons have to be looked at by the state wildlife departments as the number one priority like they are now. Majority of "hunters" around here are the "firearm only", "drive 'em till they drop" "brown and down" types - personally I think we'd be better off if they weren't allowed in the woods at all.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is true

ballagh said:
The whoile problem with Southern Iowa is Land Access. They are so land locked down thereQUOTE]
I will Give MO. credit on their public land and prices of tags. there is plenty of public ground in almost every county in the state. I think our tags are
archery 2 anydeer 17.00
bonus 7.00 as many as u want
that is a cheap way to feed the family.

I do have access to about 10,000 acres in jefferson and vanburan counties. the bad part is I send my $330.00 check in and every yr it is returned. I have all this land to hunt with friends from back home and can't get a stupid tag.
I will say that alot of the ground that is land locked and it is very hard to get a farmer to even answer the door for a hunter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts