Archery Talk Forum banner

What is your approach to doe harvest with declining populations?

• I don't shoot does but never have.

Votes: 21 6.8%
  • I use to shoot a few but no longer do.

Votes: 90 29.1%
  • I have reduced the number of doe i take

Votes: 124 40.1%
  • I still shoot the same.

Votes: 74 23.9%
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all the threads with declining populations in mid western states. How many of you have reduced how many doe you shoot or have quit shooting them all together? It seems state DNRs are more interested in appeasing insurance companies than hunters and the only way to maintain a healthy deer population is to regulate ourselves.

I know my buddy and I have decided to quit shooting does all together on our Ohio properties. I still shoot a few here in NC as we haven't had any issues with declining populations.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I hunt on 500 acres with 4 other family members. I took one doe with the bow and my cousin took one with his rifle. That's all that were taken this year.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Only 3 doe were taken on a 600acre lot..

·
Registered
846 Posts
I used to try taking multiple does with bow but when last year's winter became harsh I told myself I wouldn't take a doe this season and I've been true to my word. I can't complain about the amount of deer I saw this season but I'll still hold off on the does for awhile

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
I started backing off a few years back...now, I will only take one per property, and they are 107 miles apart..... I'm done this season for taking Does btw....

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's good to see everyone is laying off the does, but I also want to point out I know there are still pockets with an abundance of deer and doe harvest is needed.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
One property I hunt, I do not shoot does. Just not many. My other property I hunt is urban hunting with an abundance of does, but I only ever take one.

·
Bluff Country Bowhunter
2,385 Posts
We had a no doe policy during the gun season this year after having deer sightings down about 60-70% during bow season (we don't shoot does during early bow). The 'brown is down' neighbors shoot enough as it is and I decided we don't need to add to the problem. I checked cams today and was pleased to see a few left.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
Me and mine have at our home farm for a long time this was coming at us like a out of control freight train .But unfortunately over the last 10 years I have been preaching it many have called me nuts or wrong or other things ..Now its happened and yet still many are in total denial .Hunter greed is what drove herds in the 1800s to virtual extinction in much of the country .But hay we as humans have no control many times and never learn from past lessons we repeat downfall over and over .Sad how the greedy and stupid have ruined it for all ..

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
My dad and I haven't shot a doe in years, approx. 300 acres we hunt. The whole 640 acre 1 mile section none of the hunting parties take does. Perhaps 1 shot in last 5 years.

·
wolfey
4,145 Posts
I stop shooting does when the freezers full. Which only hold about 3-4 deer so it depends on what the family shoots that year. I see plenty of deer so I'm not too worried about shooting a couple does. I still wish the dnr would cut back on the doe tags cause who needs to shoot 4-5 does per year? I hate unlimited doe tags cause some people just don't know when to stop.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Not this guy. I think all the "lack of deer" is hype from narrow minded hunters.

·
Registered
13,600 Posts
it funny in pa:
rout 8 divides the two wild life units 1a 2d
a1 2week doe season
2d 1 week doe season

so it all depends on what side I'm hunting on

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not this guy. I think all the "lack of deer" is hype from narrow minded hunters.
It is definitely a real issue. Maybe not on your property but the harvest numbers show it. If you still have a healthy population nothing wrong with maintaining it where it's at.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
It is definitely a real issue. Maybe not on your property but the harvest numbers show it. If you still have a healthy population nothing wrong with maintaining it where it's at.
There's more to it than just seeing our not seeing deer.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Not to argue or be offensive but that is a very narrow minded, arrogant and ignorant statement. Nationwide our herd is down around 5 million animals. I hunt multiple farms in multiple states and in every single area I hunt the numbers are down from form 30-80 %. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out.52 % OF ALL FAWNS ARE BUCKS'' IF YOU SHOOT MORE DOES THAN YOU DO BUCKS YOU ARE LOWERING OUR ALREADY LOWERED DEER POPULATION'' .We stopped all doe harvest on all of our farms 3 years ago and we are still struggling to see an increase in our herd. Over harvesting of does by hunters for many years, EHD, CWD, out of control predator populations etc have our deer numbers at scary low levels throughout most of the USA. If your still shooting more does than bucks, you may think your doing the right thing but I can assure you will regret it, esp. if you ever plan on taking your children or grandchildren hunting.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Not to argue or be offensive but that is a very narrow minded, arrogant and ignorant statement. Nationwide our herd is down around 5 million animals. I hunt multiple farms in multiple states and in every single area I hunt the numbers are down from form 30-80 %. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out.52 % OF ALL FAWNS ARE BUCKS'' IF YOU SHOOT MORE DOES THAN YOU DO BUCKS YOU ARE LOWERING OUR ALREADY LOWERED DEER POPULATION'' .We stopped all doe harvest on all of our farms 3 years ago and we are still struggling to see an increase in our herd. Over harvesting of does by hunters for many years, EHD, CWD, out of control predator populations etc have our deer numbers at scary low levels throughout most of the USA. If your still shooting more does than bucks, you may think your doing the right thing but I can assure you will regret it, esp. if you ever plan on taking your children or grandchildren hunting.
There are a couple of threads about this already so I'm not going to argue about it here. All I'll say is that you don't have all the facts to come to a definite conclusion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I said I shoot the same amount, but I never shoot more than one. I am happy with one buck and one doe or one bow and one gun deer. Don't need more than that.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts