Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: i have everything i need now to work on my own bow except for a arrow saw.i bought my shafts from my proshop and got them cut to length. i am trying slick tricks this year because of archery talk and when screwing them down,they wouldnt get tight. looking at them closer the shafts were cut at a angle. so i had to grid them flat.so i guest i will get my own saw to keep a high schooler working for beer money from working on my bow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh the woes of having the WORST pro shop in the world! There is not a shop that I would go to for anything within an hour of me. There is one just a mile or two away but you know the saying…

Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me. Burn me the fifth time because I am too freaking stupid to stop coming to your shop, shot me in the head.

At lease I do have the option of driving an hour to a good shop in Tampa.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
coop1212 said:
:mad: i have everything i need now to work on my own bow except for a arrow saw.i bought my shafts from my proshop and got them cut to length. i am trying slick tricks this year because of archery talk and when screwing them down,they wouldnt get tight. looking at them closer the shafts were cut at a angle. so i had to grid them flat.so i guest i will get my own saw to keep a high schooler working for beer money from working on my bow.
A lot of employers hire younger people and/or unskilled labor. It's meant to save costs while still having an extra set of hands around.

However, that doesn't excuse the pro shop from taking care of the problem. Call them. Tell them what happened. That way the next guy in line won't have to go through the same thing. It's one thing to vent here, but if you say nothing to the pro shop you're doing more harm than good.

I like to do everything I can to take care of my own needs. So now I have a mini-shop in my garage. It's more fun for me this way. Buy a press, a saw and a fletcher and most (but not all!) of your needs are covered.

·
Registered
899 Posts
gfish said:
I get kind of annoyed at two shops due to the elitist attitudes...
I hear ya. I got shop by me that I stopped in back in the winter to get my new bow set up and tuned. It was the first time and last time I'll ever stop in there. I bought a Reflex Grizzly and QAD rest, Truglo sight and wanted it set up. Arrived in the shop and it was slightly busy. After looking around for a few minutes, a rep said that he'll be with me after working on someone elses bow. I said, "Ok, no problem." and continued to watch a hunting video. Well, the rep gets done with this guys bow and waves me over. Soon as that happens, a guy comes bursting in with his bow saying it needs to worked on since he's gonna be shooting a league. I get pushed back and the rep starts working on this guys bow. I stated that I was next and the rep said that this particular guy is a regular and it won't take long. An hour later, the rep is still working on this guys bow while they're having a nice chit chat session. The rep finally gets done with the guys bow and I walk over with mine. The guy asks what I want done and told him to set it up and get it tuned. The rep looks at me and gives me a big *Sigh* and says "Fine." Excuse me? So, they guy opens up the QAD rest package, everything goes flying out of it. He puts my bow in the vise and takes the QAD rest and trys to put it on. Doesn't fit. Great. I informed him that I called his shop and asked if that rest will fit a Grizzly and was informed yes it would. Well, that got a few other reps attention and they perked up to our conversation. One guy came over and asked what bow I had. Told him a Grizzly and he tells me its, "a cheap bow. Get a Matthews." I told him no thanks. I also informed him that I shoot fingers and he looks at me puzzled and says, "Why not upgrade to a Mattews and release?" I told him that after shooting 15 plus years, I don't have any problems with my fingers. He laughs and informs me to "get into the new technology." At that point, I figured that these yahoos aren't gonna help me with the setup I WANT so I'll go somewhere else. So I told the rep who had my bow in the vise that I'll be going somewhere else. He laughs and says, "Ok fine. Get your bow then." and walks away from the vise. I grabbed all my stuff and walked out.
I took my bow and stuff to another bow shop thats in the area. Told them what I want to do and that I shoot fingers. The rep there said no problem because he shoots fingers too so he'll set it up. He got everything all set up and took my to the range and shot some arrows. He made a few adjustments and informed me why he did a few things on my bow. Overall, I was very pleased. I told him that I went to another proshop and well, didn't get professional treatment. He guessed which one i was talking about and he said if you aren't shooting their products (Matthews being one of them) then they treat ya like that.
Ever since then, I've been going to the second shop I stopped at and have been very pleased with their professionalism, kindness, knowledge, friendly atmosphere, and do what you want done to your bow. Thats a proshop!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
theres one shop near me , he's a "pro shooter" big whoop...

i needed a string put on 2 weeks ago...i called him to find out how long the wait was...3-4 weeks..blah blah....then he proceeded to put me down for waiting so long to get it done...i mean..he went on and on...

i interupted his lecture and told him that it just broke...its not like i planned it..then he accused me of not takin care of my bow..:eek:

guy was a real ****edited****:mad:

****Don't go there. RK****

·
Registered
828 Posts
coop1212 said:
:mad: i have everything i need now to work on my own bow except for a arrow saw.i bought my shafts from my proshop and got them cut to length.

I agree 100% I had a horrible experiance with the local "Pro Shop". 3 years ago I spent all season having them fix problems only to create new ones. I have bought and built all the equipment I need to do the majority of my own work. Once you have a bow problem in the middle of a 6 day hunting trip on a Saturday afternoon with a days hike/drive from an archery shop you will have incentive to learn the tricks of the proshop. (Big sentence:confused: ) At least that was my incentive :wink:

·
Premium Member
18,022 Posts
I use a arrow shaft squaring tool even when I cut my own arrows. You will typically have a little run out/blade flex etc., on an arrow saw.

If you've got the money tied up in your equipment, it pays to get to know the fella you pay to work on it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
owen

I walked out of our local pro shop in 1995 and never looked back. In the years since I've bought a bow press, scale, fletching jig, arrow saw, chronogragh and whatever else I needed to be self sufficient. I've probably paid for all that stuff by staying out of pro shops. It's a lot more convenient to do it all at home. I enjoy it plus I use my equipment to help out some kids and buddies with their needs and save them some money too.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I have been fortunate in the past and have had access to great shops. Now however most of the shops I have access to either have the personallity of a rabbed dog or are just to full of themselves. One shop I do like to frequent closes to early and at times the owners kids can be a distraction, cute but a distraction. The shop that "has the personality of a rabbed dog" I went into one day looking for a toxonics target sight. Tox had just "upgraded" the 3500 sight and called it the "tackdriver". When I told the lady in the shop what I was after she told me it did not exist it never existed and if it did exist because she did not have it in stock it was a bad product. I stepped over to some magazines on display and opened one that I had to the add that showed the sight. Then pointed to all the tox products that were hanging on the wall and asked the woman why she would sell such low quality in her shop?

Another shop that is closer to home I have went to for stuff and have had to go through their Pape's catalog and show them what it is. These were such exotic items as G nocks and Uni Bushings. I also tried to buy a bow for my daughter from them. Thet had in stock the bow I was looking for, a Browning Discovery. I asked if they could order the lighter draw weight limbs. they called there manufacture rep and got a voice mail, they said that they would call me the next day to tell me if they even made a lighter draw model. So we again got the Pape's book and the flyer from the company about the bow. Both of which had a 10-20 lb model available. The told me they would call the next day and get the bow ordered. I called them back two days later, the lady who I talked to said " oh I forgot to call them." So a week later with no calls from them I called back. Again with the I forgot to call them this time I told them not to worry about it I would find the bow else where. Then the lady got pissy with me on the phone.

I so miss Lee in Wichita, Scott and Brian in Pratt, Briar and Bow in Souix City, Mac and Ann in KC and all the other good shops that I used to be near.

Marc

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well I don't have a bad thing to say about my proshop just got back from there got in got what I needed done to the bow. All the free information I needed.By the way my proshop is Carters in St Joe MO (Crackers to some of you):)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
the closest pro shop to me is about 20 miles and I dont really go there for anything unless I need small things like inserts and nocks. I did buy a bow there a few years ago and it was great. But I just go there to shoot the techno-hunt and 3d course now. I too have my own little mini pro shop in my house

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'm wanting to build my own little shop. I started a thread a few days called Man Room. Could you guys take some pictures of your setups and post them there? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
It must suck to be you guys, my pro shop is off the shizzie!! He always takes the time for me and everyone else--granted he is a busy guy now (contracted his strings out to Gander Mtn.) but he is knowledgable and friendly--if yall ever move to NC Mooresville, Statesville area come visit!

www.strikeforcearchery.com

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
i dont even call my shop a pro shop anymore, most of the things i call it now i cant print on here.im thinkin next year of trying to fletch and make my own arrows and go from there.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Beer Money

coop1212 said:
Coop, I felt the same way you do and went the same route. I have traded around here on AT plus bought a ToadPress and at this point. I build all my own arrows, tweak my own bow.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Luckily, my pro shop guy is the best. When i got my first bow ten years ago from Wal-Mart i called him on a Sunday morning and he said im closed but come on out and i'll set you up. I have bought several bows from him since and many other items and i refuse to go anywhere else. He is professional, he is good and very friendly. Word of mouth will either make you or break you in that business and his is thriving.........

I can't imagine a pro shop staying in business with the attitudes they are giving........

1 - 20 of 34 Posts