Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am converting my LW sticks to a rope and cam cleat like the muddy system. I have looked at ropes and their is more types than you can throw a stick at. What do you guys who know about ropes recommend? I want something that is around like what the muddy sticks have. The hardest part of this process is finding a low profile cam cleat. I guess I may just end up mounting the cleat on the side. Ive been all over climbing rope websites and their is just too much to choose from. Thanks.

·
Hard Horned
2,590 Posts
Ummm. why not sell the lone wolfs and buy the muddys? I think you will regret tinkering with those sticks. Also, you will not be able to mount the cleats to the side of the stick, unless you are looking for a sure fire way to fall out of your tree. Look at the muddy design. There is a reason why the cleats are placed there.

edit- If you are set on doing this, why not call muddy and ask them what style rope they are using? Tell them of your dumb idea and they just might give you a deal on their stuff, so you don't end up a statistic or at the very least destroying your lone wolf sticks.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I wouldn't recommend this either, the time and money u are going to put into isn't worth especially since u realy don't know if it's going tO work or not. I say sell the sticks and order the muddys

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe if muddy made their sticks in something other than barbie doll length I would buy them. Who wants to back in 10 sticks just to get 20 ft in the air. The cleat on the side will work just as well.

·
Hard Horned
2,590 Posts
Maybe if muddy made their sticks in something other than barbie doll length I would buy them. Who wants to back in 10 sticks just to get 20 ft in the air. The cleat on the side will work just as well.[/QUOTE]

No it won't, but the beautiful thing is you are destroying your stuff.... so, have at it.

Also, I am 6'2" and it takes me 4 muddy sticks and one screw in step to reach 20 ft. Unless you have put them in a tree and used them firsthand, be sure to have your facts correct.

One last thing... It's 100% impossible to put the cleats used on muddy sticks on the side of the stick and still have it function properly.

For safetys sake, I hope the stick that fails you is close to the ground and you only fall a short distance.

Here's your sign...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe if muddy made their sticks in something other than barbie doll length I would buy them. Who wants to back in 10 sticks just to get 20 ft in the air. The cleat on the side will work just as well.[/QUOTE]

No it won't, but the beautiful thing is you are destroying your stuff.... so, have at it.

Also, I am 6'2" and it takes me 4 muddy sticks and one screw in step to reach 20 ft. Unless you have put them in a tree and used them firsthand, be sure to have your facts correct.

One last thing... It's 100% impossible to put the cleats used on muddy sticks on the side of the stick and still have it function properly.

For safetys sake, I hope the stick that fails you is close to the ground and you only fall a short distance.

Here's your sign...

The rope will come off of the versa button with the cleat on the right hand side. Run the rope clockwise around the tree then back over the top of the stick. Wrap your rope around the stick and through the cleat. How will that not work.

·
Registered
492 Posts
What if you try a cleat, like the ones used for tying a boat to a dock. Have one end or the rope "fixed" to the stick in some fashion and then just throw the other end around the tree and tie it to the cleat (that is bolted onto the stick) just like you would tie up a boat, then throw a couple half-hitches in the rope (like w/ the mudddy) and ur done. No moving pieces and no metal buckles. I have not tried this and it's just and idea that came to me while boating over the past wkend.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What if you try a cleat, like the ones used for tying a boat to a dock. Have one end or the rope "fixed" to the stick in some fashion and then just throw the other end around the tree and tie it to the cleat (that is bolted onto the stick) just like you would tie up a boat, then throw a couple half-hitches in the rope (like w/ the mudddy) and ur done. No moving pieces and no metal buckles. I have not tried this and it's just and idea that came to me while boating over the past wkend.
That would probably work as well as long as the cleat had a high enough safe work load. I just like the cam cleat idea because it is so fast and easy.

·
Hard Horned
2,590 Posts
The rope will come off of the versa button with the cleat on the right hand side. Run the rope clockwise around the tree then back over the top of the stick. Wrap your rope around the stick and through the cleat. How will that not work.

Be sure to post pictures of your experiment. It won't work at all, but I'm looking forward to seeing the aftermath of destroying your soon to be non functioning LW sticks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If u do research.....I believe someone makes a rope system here on archery talk. His way sounded alot safer.

·
Registered
625 Posts

Here's your sign...
Where's the LIKE Button...lol
I make some rope systems, but I have no idea how to solve this one.
sorry.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Be sure to post pictures of your experiment. It won't work at all, but I'm looking forward to seeing the aftermath of destroying your soon to be non functioning LW sticks.
I don't think you understand the concept that he is stating. I agree the rope cleat will not work on the side of a muddy stick but on alone wolf I think it may work for him although I'm not sure it is worth the effort to me but would have to try it first. I believe he is not removing the versa button but in fact using it like a cleat. The rope would go around the tree back to the versa button. Wrap rope around the button clockwisethen around the backside of the stick to the cleat followed by the half hitches like on the muddy. If that didn't work out like he wanted he could always put the original strap back on. Wrapping the rope around the versa button like so should center the load and pick up all of the shear forces like the strap. Who knows it may be a better mouse trap. If your looking for the muddy rope just buy one of there 30' lifelines and use the rope cut to shorter lengths for the sticks should be able to get four 7' + ropes out of it for 40$

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think you understand the concept that he is stating. I agree the rope cleat will not work on the side of a muddy stick but on alone wolf I think it may work for him although I'm not sure it is worth the effort to me but would have to try it first. I believe he is not removing the versa button but in fact using it like a cleat. The rope would go around the tree back to the versa button. Wrap rope around the button clockwisethen around the backside of the stick to the cleat followed by the half hitches like on the muddy. If that didn't work out like he wanted he could always put the original strap back on. Wrapping the rope around the versa button like so should center the load and pick up all of the shear forces like the strap. Who knows it may be a better mouse trap. If your looking for the muddy rope just buy one of there 30' lifelines and use the rope cut to shorter lengths for the sticks should be able to get four 7' + ropes out of it for 40$

Thanks I will probably just do that. The plan is to attach the rope to the versa button. Run the length of rope around the tree clockwise. then run the rope around the stick underneath the versa button to the left side of the tube. The cam cleat will be a little above the versa button. Run the rope through the cleat. This will give you the back pressure for the cleat to maintain positive traction while the main weight of the stick will be hitting the rope from the versa button thus not changing its actual hanging point.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not a problem. If I can get my camera working again haha. I really think this is very possible with a little tinkering.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts