Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Firenock has titanium for sale, but not sure I want to pony up that much $$. Who has stainless available?

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,534 Posts
I'm not sure anyone has a kit- I think you might need to determine the size of each and separately purchase them in SS.

·
Registered
430 Posts
There is a vendor on here that sells them, I believe they are only $30 or $40 for the kit.

·
Speed thrills KE kills!
1,696 Posts
i know firenock has titanium for sale, but not sure i want to pony up that much $$. Who has stainless available?
All we have left is 2 blackened kits. They are stainless but are blackened using a black oxide process and coated with a special sealant... They look factory and will never rust. I quit selling them because its a nightmare to do, and if anything goes wrong during the etching process you easily just ruined $100 worth of stainless hardware (Dont ask me how I know). PM ME IF INTERESTED. $40TYD

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,534 Posts
All we have left is 2 blackened kits. They are stainless but are blackened using a black oxide process and coated with a special sealant... They look factory and will never rust. I quit selling them because its a nightmare to do, and if anything goes wrong during the etching process you easily just ruined $100 worth of stainless hardware (Dont ask me how I know). PM ME IF INTERESTED. $40TYD
Better buy em quick boys!

For interests sake, what is "a nightmare to do"? The black oxide process? Why not just do straight stainless? Did you quick selling them altogether or just the blackened versions?

·
Speed thrills KE kills!
1,696 Posts
Better buy em quick boys!

For interests sake, what is "a nightmare to do"? The black oxide process? Why not just do straight stainless? Did you quick selling them altogether or just the blackened versions?
The black oxide process consists of a muriatic acid bath, rinse, black oxide bath, rinse and dry, and a bath in sealant, and let dry. Like I said if you dont do a good job etching them in the acid bath the chemical reaction in the black oxide dip just doesnt cover very well and you ruin all the hardware! I did this twice and that was enough. Between ruining $200 in bolts and $50 in chemicals it just wasnt very profitable. Probably the worst part of the deal is the container in my driveway with smoke comming out of it (the muriatic acid bath), I think that my neighbors think that I have a meth lab! I can still do some regular stainless kits if there's some intrest in them.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,534 Posts
Wow! That is quite a process. We might have to start calling you Walter White! LOL!

I see no benefit in the black coating anyway. I have uncoated stainless on one hunting bow and titanium on the other. Neither are noticeable unless you are looking for it and would certainly not spook game.

·
Speed thrills KE kills!
1,696 Posts
I use the straight stainless on my own bows as well, but there were some that wanted the factory look with 100% corrosion resistance.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just a heads up guys. I've been researching bolt replacement a little and hear from more than one source that using stainless in aluminum can cause problems. Something about how the two metals mate can cause bolts to seize and be very hard to remove.

·
Speed thrills KE kills!
1,696 Posts
Just a heads up guys. I've been researching bolt replacement a little and hear from more than one source that using stainless in aluminum can cause problems. Something about how the two metals mate can cause bolts to seize and be very hard to remove.
It's called bi-metalic corrosion and it's a non issue here. The bows already come with some stainless hardware. Obsession has been using stainless for years with no trouble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts