Votes: 355 69.5%
  • no

Votes: 156 30.5%
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so who all missed the first deer they shot at with a bow? I missed my first 2 years ago. Had a doe at 12 yards and rushed the shot cause I was so excited and I shot right under her.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not I, hit exactly where I was aiming. Did not know about quartering-to angles being a no-no. No recovery that night or the next day. I would rather have missed.

·
Registered
756 Posts
shot low.... missed badly, but got the next dow that walked under my stand...

·
Registered
357 Posts
I did. 2 does came by shot right under her at 27 yrds

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
My first day bow hunting ever I had a doe at 25 yards. I was hunting off the ground out of a self made blind. I was looking the other direction and didn't notice her until she stomped her foot and snorted at me. After a couple minutes she started to go about her business. I came up to a kneeling position and to full draw all in one single motion without spooking her (I'm still a little proud of myself for that one). I judged her to be at about 20 yards so when I shot and my arrow went right under her.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Missed my first one in 1982, a big doe, shot right over her back, she was 15 yards! lol But I redeemed myself 2 weeks later and killed my first bow buck, a spike.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Was shaking so bad I couldn't even get my bow halfway back and let her fly! Not even close...lol

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
HA - i misread the sunrise charts so got into my neighbors stand WAY early. after waiting for what seemed to be forever, low and behold a doe came directly underneath my stand. i struggled mightily to pull back the 66 lbs or so then promptly shot the dirt by her. about 5 min later, a buck came out and i almost had a shot, but i think he winded me, changed directions and went behind me. that pretty much got my juices going very hard though!!! so fun/nervous.

the stand was on a fence line on a pasture. his grandsons. zero shooting lanes (little did i know) ....ahhh how green i was.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Missed the first two actually. Both forkhorns. First one, tried to hunt with a bow that wasn't set up for me. Even though I was shooting it decent, I wasn't confident with it. Then about four years later I actually bought a new bow and had it all set up for me. Then I made the mistake of not preranging the area around my stand. Actually got two shots off at that one. Tell ya what, a few yards can make a big difference. But I think I've finally got all those mistakes out of the way and am looking forward to doing things right this season.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Hit a button head at 12 yards with a quartering to shot. Went in between his shoulder and neck and completely passed thru. Shooting aluminum Easton arrows out of a 90# Pearson Spoiler. He didn't go 40 yards. Thanks for bringing back a great memory.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My first bow shot at a deer was dead on. I had a 18 yrd shot at a doe and smoked her she went 20 yards. I had only been shooting for 2 weeks before, need to say hooked ever since. :) I'm actually 3 for 3 knock on wood

·
id rather be hunting
1,480 Posts
How old were you guys when you took your first shots? I shot my first deer last yr. First yr bowhunting. I was 28. It was a nice 7pt @ 20yds. Rage 3 blade. I didn't know any better. Lol. J/k

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Yup shot way under the first one and the next one shot over its back, then finally got the third one

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Yep. Stalked a basket rack 8pt for 45 mins. Got up on him with my then-boyfriend (now husband), and he blew the grunt call. The buck came walking towards us perfectly broadside at 20 yds. I was sitting in a dry creek bed lower than the level of the buck. When the deer was right in front of me, my boyfriend said aim for 30yds so I did. Flew about one inch over the deer's shoulder and he took off. My boyfriend was really mad at himself over that one, because I was new and didn't know yardages, AND it was my birthday!! Oh well, I learned a lot about stalking and it was exciting.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Embarrassed to say it was a doe, and I suffered buck fever so bad, I threw 6 arrows at her with the 30 yard pin, and never once dawned on me to raise up to the 40 yard pin. She finally got tired of all the noise under her belly and ran off.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Actually missed the first two a buck opening day last year didn't clear good enough shooting lanes arrow hit a small twig lost a new t3 in a tree. Decided on taking a doe a few weeks later shot right over her backseated in a ladder stand and dropped my arm but learned a lesson 2 mins later another doe came running in after the one I missed spoked her. Ended up killing that one.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
right over her back.

2 days later I connected and she got 40 yards.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts