Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about this. I've passed on these this year and in years past.
Just didn't know what would happen to the yearling or yearlings so I let them all walk.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I don't mind taking one, by the time season roles around they are pretty good about being able to fend for themselves. Plus it usually is not hard for them to find some one else to hang out with. I usually wind up walking into a herd of does and can't tell who mama is so I just whack the one that gives the best shot and watch the rest scatter. Unless there is a reason to shoot a different one.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
i dont take doe with its babies. just dont feel right about it.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Just curious about this. I've passed on these this year and in years past.
Just didn't know what would happen to the yearling or yearlings so I let them all walk.

Anyone else?
While many don't agree with me...I have taken the momma doe and then the yearlings too if they give me a shot. My best is three deer within 5 minutes.

Do I feel sorry...heck no!! Deer taste great and the little ones mean tender meat.

Also, when I did that I had seen over 50 deer on the property and they were about 90-95% does.

So my answer is YUP!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Where I hunt, it's almost impossible to see a doe without yearlings. Almost everytime I've shot momma, I see the yearling with another group of does the next time (either in person or on trail cams).

·
Registered
951 Posts
Nope. At least with momma they satnd a chhance around here in the winter. without the coyotes get them more and they starve to death when we have 3 feet of snow. during shot gun we make it clear to the gang. you take mom, you take the baby/s

·
Registered
770 Posts
If the yearlings have no spots and are eating forage, I take the doe. As was stated above, I have many pics of the yearlings with another group every time.

·
hunter
8,143 Posts
A yearling is one and a half years old right now. They are the best eating of all! You must mean fawns, this year's deer, that are 5 or six months old??? Unless they were dropped real late they are well weaned by now and can survive quite nicely without their mother.

·
Registered
723 Posts

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
A yearling is one and a half years old right now. They are the best eating of all! You must mean fawns, this year's deer, that are 5 or six months old??? Unless they were dropped real late they are well weaned by now and can survive quite nicely without their mother.
+1.

marty

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I've got no problem shooting a doe with fawns. I wouldn't consider shooting a fawn, that's just me. It's pretty obvious when watching the fawns forage on acorns and clover that they know how to feed themselves.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I pass. I never had a problem when I was younger but as I get older I just can't do it. I think it has something to do with having a kid, dogs, etc... I don't see problem with other hunter's doing it though, it's just not for me.

·
Registered
Hoyt Maxxis 31
654 Posts
I am not picky, I shoot whatever gives me the opportunity unless its not legal to shoot at that time. I am a meat hunter!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I know and understand that the little ones would be fine with out mama, but for some reason I just can't do it, it doesn't mean I am soft, (or does it?) I just chose not to. And I don't think any one has the right to bash some one who wont shoot them and same goes for the guys who would shoot them, it's all about the hunt. shoot them if you want or don't either way is cool with me.:darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 94 Posts