Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried rattling for several years now here at home(east tx) but I have never had any kind of response, I have had some luck with grunt and wheeze calls but never horn rattling. But this fall I will be hunting SE KS and would really like to be able to rattle something in. Who has luck ratting, what part of the season does it seem most effective and where do you hunt?

Thanks
Justin

·
Heavy Hitter
2,525 Posts
I rattled in a big 10 last year, was in my stand a total of 10 minutes before he showed up grunting the whole way in, put an arrow right over his back. That was on November 10th, the only reason I remember was because it was the saturday before firearm season. Ratted in a young 4 pt on the ground from across a big field during the early season, he traveled several hundred yards and came in to within 20. "Experts" say rattling works all year, I've called in young deer early, and nice ones after they start showing some rut behavior.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have had it work several times. The most success I've had was Prerut, from a higer elevation so the sound travels. It all really depends on deer population, ratio and some luck catching a looking dominate buck. I've had smaller ones and even doe respond also.

·
Registered
11,585 Posts
I've done it for years in NW Ill. & NE Ia.. Some days it's great & other times no rtesponse. I blind rattle in hopes of bringing something in when it's slow & from mid Oct. (our areas) untill end of Nov... I also rattle Bucks NOT coming my way when i see them. I cannot ever remember ever spooking a Buck or Doe (any size) I can see during this time. I DO remember spooking 1 Buck in Mid Dec. years ago & that has been the only time. I have had Does come into the rattle many times. If you have lot's of Does it really is hit or miss & the last few years we seem to have more does in one are & it's rare to get any response. Another area N a couple hours we have a place we do not shoot does as they have been declining for some reason last 3 years & I've had several come to the rattle but I've bow killed a ton of deer & holding out for a personal best & haven't shot one lately. one I did not shoot & a couple I did that came into rattle.
I'm guessing the area you hunt will be determined by how many does are around & of course, time of the season. Good Luck-it works & as they say, it only takes ONE to make it worthwhile.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm lucky enough to be able to watch quite a few bucks in my back yard. From velvet shed to horn drop they will push, shove, and lightly spar.I've only seen two knock down drag out fights and both were in mid December.It can be effective all season but I think only if the deer you are hunting are unpressed. If you put 5 guys in a area 6 days a week rattling the deer do catch on. Alot of time guys are so noisy or leave so much scent getting to, into their stands the bucks know your there before you even start calling.I have had deer come in to the "horns". For me I seem to do better with other methods.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i rattled in my first deer ever this year. a small 6 point that came tearing out of a swamp directly to the base of my tree. I let him go and a buddy shot him opening day of gun, but im still amazed at how good their ears and nose are. This was on November 12th i believe in NY, so during the chase period of the rut

·
Registered
802 Posts
Ive had mixed results and to me its about timing. I killed a mature 6.5 year old buck this year during the breeding phase but only because the circumstances were just right. I had managed to climb into my treestand with a 5 point and a doe bedded less than 50 yards in plain view. The 8 point came into about 50 yards following a doe and these bucks were locked onto the does. They didnt see the bedded deer under my stand and they were on a course that would give me no shot. So I decided to use the deer in front if me to piss him off. I grunted, snort wheezed and then lightly rattled. This brought the 5pt and doe to their feet and the 8 point saw him. He was PISSED. Started breaking saplings in half, made about 5 scrapes, and his anger brought him 10 yards closer for a 40 yard shot. Awesome hunt ill never forget. Took me 20 min to climb into my tree so I wouldnt spook the deer under me! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363880029.933308.jpg

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have had good luck rattling in Tennessee. I mostly use a short rattling sequence to get their attention......then grunt. Dont listen to people blowing grunt calls. Go to you tube and look for grunting by real deer and imitate them. I rattle/grunt for 10 to 15 seconds wait a minute and do it again. Wait 20min. do it all over again. I usually dont do a long knock down drag out deer fight. Most deer dont either. They smack each other a little and them quit. Start out with a short easy sequence. It works for me!

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
Do you wheeze much?
I've had most success with wheeze and rattle. My biggest buck was takin like this. Grunted at him and didn't pay much attention at all. Then I snort wheezed, I Cosby get my bow up fast enough he was sprinting in at me...I've used rattling other times and have gotten bucks in but they didn't come with in bow range. My percent goes up if I have my decoy while rattling

Coming soon... Sethro's Custom Paints

·
Registered
37,113 Posts
For a long time in my area of Pa it was a waste of time but then about 7 years ago it began working a lot better. I guess do to lesser doe around. Last year it didnt work at all for me though

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
i hunt in illinois and like to rattle pre rut into rut, i have had hit or miss luck with it untill this year and i havent figured out why this year was so much better but this past season i hunted just about every day during rut and pre rut and rattled in a deer 90% of the time. i had awsome luck. just no shooters everything was under 145 inches, i feel a buck decoy helps allot when rattling also when i do this i rattle grunt weez and bleat all during one sequence and when i grunt i dont do long drawn out roars mostly short pops. i do this because my personal experence in the woods i have never heard a buk grunt realy long and loud only shorter quieter grunts so i just try to mimic what i hear in the woods.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I believe that rattling and grunting works. I have killed 1 deer so far and it came to me because i rattled and grunted. It was the beginning of october. This year i will use the same strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I wouldnt go anymore if I could not rattle them in! I love it... & I mean LOVE IT! I have had the largest buck ever come right in to my crazy hard rattling & honestly I missed. I was in my climber and caught a branch/twig and watched my arrow veer off and straight up miss this buck. I was in my climber for like a minute or two and I was pretty noisy getting in and settled. I grunted hard, banged the antlers hard as heck, hit the can call and within minutes this buck came in pissed off as all heck. Wasnt expecting this buck to come in to be honest. I got a trail cam pick 2 days later same spot but I wasnt there. :(

I have also called them in for my friend even on the ground. He missed (2 bucks came in) they took off and within minutes I had them back again and shot one. It was insane! Another time I jumped in the stand with only about 30 minutes of time left, put out some golden estrus banged the horns and got a descent nj 8pt. It def works some of the time and I love doing it.

My best results have mostly been in late october around halloween. Seems like there is a 2 week window where it really works where I hunt and then its really hit or miss. Ohh and I got my largest buck with the shotgun opening day. Rattled this bedded buck in after watching him for hours. Was waiting n waiting and about to run out of light so I hit the horns he stood right up and walked right over. 100% awesome!

With that said I dont recall ever rattling in a buck after 6 day gun season. To me it works best when their looking for that first hot doe or I guess really seeking in general. I have probably spooked deer and never even seen them but honestly I dont care. I am out to enjoy myself!

I never not have them in my pack.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have had good luck rattling in Tennessee. I mostly use a short rattling sequence to get their attention......then grunt. Dont listen to people blowing grunt calls. Go to you tube and look for grunting by real deer and imitate them. I rattle/grunt for 10 to 15 seconds wait a minute and do it again. Wait 20min. do it all over again. I usually dont do a long knock down drag out deer fight. Most deer dont either. They smack each other a little and them quit. Start out with a short easy sequence. It works for me!
thanks for the input

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've had most success with wheeze and rattle. My biggest buck was takin like this. Grunted at him and didn't pay much attention at all. Then I snort wheezed, I Cosby get my bow up fast enough he was sprinting in at me...I've used rattling other times and have gotten bucks in but they didn't come with in bow range. My percent goes up if I have my decoy while rattling

Coming soon... Sethro's Custom Paints
what decoy do you prefer to use? what sex and when?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Antlers seem to work best about last 5 or 6-days of October and first 4 to 5-days of November at our Illinois camp but still with that said low percentage, grunt / doe bleat and grunt snortweez works more often and had some luck with it anytime during per rut and even in rut if bucks are not right with doe. I never go to stand with out my calls while none are high percentage all come in handy at some point worth trying.... key don't over use any of them...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts